• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_celsius_*

Guest_celsius_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2002 - 10:57

Well all can I say..

T H A N K Y O U!!!

FINALLY a tracker worth using. I've been confined to FT2 for years but it looks like you've got everything right to make the ideal tracker :)

I spent some time exploring it and here are my observations

1) No mouse drag selection over the pattern, why?

2) Maybe the edit mode isnt visible enough to catch the eye, because sometimes I wasn't actually sure if I was in edit mode or not. FT2 highlighted the frame so you instantly knew when this was the case

3) How about mappable keyboards? Although your layout is basically the same, there are a fiew differences, like crtl + up/down for scrolling the pages instead of shift + left/right. The F keys are also different. And if implementing a mappable keyboards is too much of a headache, how about keyboard presets (ie FT2, etc.. ) ?

4) I couldnt figure out how to put a loop on a sample, and even less how to define the loop as pingpong .. however i loaded up some xm that already contained some, but i soon realised that the loop bars in the sample view were difficult to see and non draggable.. why?

5) I think the ergonomy and general layout is good. However, would it be possible to minimize the bottom pannel with the dsp setting and instrument envelopes and sample editor? That would give even more space for the pattern..

6) General xm playback is good. I didnt notice some differences, like Axx commands (or at least when I tried A0F on a note, nothing happened). Also, FT2 sample offset had a flaw because some times the lenght of samples exceed 9FF

7) Why does my sample play entirely when i press a key instead of stopping when i release the key? can i disable this?

8) midisync is planned. excellent :) I hope it will be also as a controller not just slave, because i intend to use my 303 with it!! :)

9) speaking of 303's, I saw there is a soft synth 303! :) but is there a gui for it? I couldnt find it.

10) another small thing, you can drag across the sample list, you have click everytime, which can get tedious if your looking for something. Also, NTK crashed a fiew times when I was tried to drag, something to do with the GUI handling?

Well thats about it. most these comments are superficial, the point being I think your tracker is one of the most promissing I've seen for a long long time and defenatly one I shall use.

You mentionned registering in another post, how to I register??

Also if you need a tester, I have a studio, PC's and 10 years of tracking experience ;)

Thanks again and keep up the good work

Celsius

#2 Guest_redribbon_*

Guest_redribbon_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2002 - 12:41

wow celsius ! t'es encore exigeant que moi ! ;)

(i know this is french, but it won't interest you :))

RR

#3 Guest_evention_*

Guest_evention_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2002 - 13:54

What about a "save current song?" option, when you load a new song?

#4 Guest_Johan_*

Guest_Johan_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2002 - 14:34

Good idea!! I have accidentally opened a module instead of a sampling a couple of times. Very annoying if you haven't saved for a while...

#5 Guest_TakTik_*

Guest_TakTik_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2002 - 18:01

>What about a "save current song?" option, when you load a new song?

ok. I also lost some modifications, so I'll do it ...

#6 Guest_TakTik_*

Guest_TakTik_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2002 - 18:16

thanks for the ideas. give me more if you have some ...

>1) No mouse drag selection over the pattern, why?

because i was too lazy to implement it but it's allready in my todolist. I allways use Alt + Q,W,A,S,Z,X for blockmarking -> try it ...

>2) Maybe the edit mode isnt visible enough to catch the eye, because
>sometimes I wasn't actually sure if I was in edit mode or not. FT2
>highlighted the frame so you instantly knew when this was the case

any idea of how we could do this in ntk ? the ft2 highlight won't work as there are no black gaps free ...

>3) How about mappable keyboards? Although your layout is basically the
>same, there are a fiew differences, like crtl + up/down for scrolling the
>pages instead of shift + left/right. The F keys are also different. And if >implementing a mappable keyboards is too much of a headache, how
>about keyboard presets (ie FT2, etc.. ) ?

allready thought about this, but it will take some time. Maybe you'll have it in next,next Version ....

>4) I couldnt figure out how to put a loop on a sample, and even less how
>to define the loop as pingpong .. however i loaded up some xm that
>already contained some, but i soon realised that the loop bars in the
>sample view were difficult to see and

You select the LoopMode in the InstrumentSettings (where you also define SampleVolume , FineTune ...) or set LoopStart/End in SampleEditor when you've selected a Range.

>non draggable.. why?
good idea. they will be ...

>5) I think the ergonomy and general layout is good. However, would it be
>possible to minimize the bottom pannel with the dsp setting and
>instrument envelopes and sample editor? That would give even more
>space for the pattern..

Dsp size is fixed, but maybe I'll bring back the extended mode ...

>6) General xm playback is good. I didnt notice some differences, like Axx
>commands (or at least when I tried A0F on a note, nothing happened).
>Also, FT2 sample offset had a flaw because some times the lenght of
>samples exceed 9FF

You're the first one you said that xm playback is good :)
It' definitly good enough to grab Samples and Patterns. I don't wanted to win the "who can play XM's exactly" contest ...

>7) Why does my sample play entirely when i press a key instead of
>stopping when i release the key? can i disable this?

nope not yet.

>8) midisync is planned. excellent :) I hope it will be also as a controller not
>just slave, because i intend to use my 303 with it!! :)

allready done.

>9) speaking of 303's, I saw there is a soft synth 303! :) but is there a gui
>for it? I couldnt find it.

I've knocked them out. But you won't miss it as you've got the real ones.

>10) another small thing, you can drag across the sample list, you have
>click everytime, which can get tedious if your looking for something. Also,
>NTK crashed a fiew times when I was tried to drag, something to do with
>the GUI handling?

Didn't get that. Could you try to explain it again please ...

#7 Guest_redribbon_*

Guest_redribbon_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2002 - 19:55

> >2) Maybe the edit mode isnt visible enough to catch the eye, because
> >sometimes I wasn't actually sure if I was in edit mode or not. FT2
> >highlighted the frame so you instantly knew when this was the case
>
> any idea of how we could do this in ntk ? the ft2 highlight won't work as
> there are no black gaps free ...

Change the mouse cursor color or its aspect ?
Change the framework color (better but maybe not easy to code) ?

I'm not a coder :)

#8 Guest_TakTik_*

Guest_TakTik_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2002 - 20:10

> > >2) Maybe the edit mode isnt visible enough to catch the eye, because
> > >sometimes I wasn't actually sure if I was in edit mode or not. FT2
> > >highlighted the frame so you instantly knew when this was the case
> >
> > any idea of how we could do this in ntk ? the ft2 highlight won't work as
> > there are no black gaps free ...

> Change the mouse cursor color or its aspect ?

Good idea. Will do this if noone has a better idea.

> Change the framework color (better but maybe not easy to code) ?

Don't care about this ! Everything is possible.

#9 Guest_evention_*

Guest_evention_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2002 - 20:21

what about the bottom "BAR" (the bar with the start-up tips).

only if it still exist in the next version.

#10 Guest_ks_*

Guest_ks_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2002 - 22:10

Yeah the tip-bar is a good idea...

Changing the mouse color/form is not very usefull as you have to look for the mouse first... The bar at the bottom could turn red for instance.

Other ideas:

- Put some light in the whole pattern display
- A flashing red circle somewhere
- A sound saying "YOU ARE IN RECORD MODE" at 120db... (ok this one is a bad idea)

The bottom bar is the best idea imo

#11 Guest_Phazze_*

Guest_Phazze_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2002 - 22:38

seems like TakTik answered all i have only few to add:

mappable keyboard: we have some sort of plan for "resource editor". i guess it could include buttons, skins and keyboard map. but don't expect it all at once and tomorrow, we have only 24 hours per day too!

about dunno-how-to-do-it stuff -> help in next release will solve much of this kind of questions. it will be standard html help (with searchable keywords). help is already done but just hold for a while for release. we have to fix few smaller stuff... it will help also newbies not only tracking professionals.

about XM playback: please understand that the purpose of importer is possibility to convert some of old modules. our soft is more advanced but if we keep all the compability we are restraining ourselves with new possibilites. we are aware it will never sound exactly the same. we try to maintain good balance between compability and performance. and finally we are not making just another tracker for windows but advanced "home-studio". additional problem with FT2 is that it has F-4 +23 (or was it minus) instead of flat C-4 for default note.

about how to register: we are still negotiating with payment services. we will provide credit card and other registration options very soon. don't worry about price - it is still low (specially compared to other so called "pro" software that offers less possibilities). you all know what happened to all free trackers (their developers have stopped development). price will only be here to get us going to continue development, certanly not for making us rich.

about bottom "bar" (we call it status bar): in this beta version it shows even more tips. the tips are carefully selected most important issues from help. this bar is good because it doesn't pop into your face and bother you but still shows usefull info if you want to look at it.

but, all of that in new release...