67 replies to this topic

#1 dufey

dufey

Guruh Motha Fakka is Levitating and Knows Everything About Renoise Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1066 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 14:53

"In 2000 the Finnish demoscene musician Janne Suni (also known as 'Tempest') won the Oldskool Music Competition at the Assembly demoparty with his four-channel Amiga .MOD entitled 'Acid Jazzed Evening.' A Commodore 64 musician called 'grg' remade the song on the C64 (using the infamous SID soundchip); it is this that was stolen. The producer's name is Timbaland and he is one of the hottest names in American music these days. The track in question is called 'Do it' and it is featured on the Nelly Furtado album 'Loose' on the Geffen label. Getting nowhere with Geffen, the demoscene has now risen to the aid of Tempest, first by creating a stir at SomethingAwful (files downloadable from the forum), then at Digg.com, then on YouTube, with a video demonstrating the blatant ripoff. Being an online-posting musician myself — what rights do I have if this should ever happen to me, and what can be done to raise awareness about such things?"

Also look at this
Timbaland

Here is the Track from Nelly Furtados "Do It"

And here's the original MOD from the Demoscene, Tempest Acid Jazzed Evening

Youtube movie clip showing how they relate to each other

Edited by dufey, 14 January 2007 - 16:20.

#2 Weird Energy

Weird Energy

• Normal Members
  • 1374 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 16:55

sad :(

#3 ensivian

ensivian

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 17:04

This is really spreading all over the web... good. Even though Timbaland is not going to get any official punishment, I think. Let's face it, big companies, lots of money, lots of lawyers etc. But at this point it's the unofficial side that matters. His reputation is on the line.

#4 Guest_kaneel_*

Guest_kaneel_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2007 - 18:40

I think you still can prove as well you're the creator of the tune :/

#5 Syflom

Syflom

• Normal Members
  • 1456 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 02:42

this is simply disgusting.

to me, timbaland was one of the more respectable producers in hip hop, at least in the old days.
all that's down the toilet now.

it's good seeing this amount of exposure and i hope this scumbag gets his just desserts.
VIVA LA SCENE

In the beginning was the Word
 My XRNX tools: Loop Block Size, Write BPM, Sustain Instrument
Renoise my suggestions: sample pause command, continually paste within selection, advanced edit resize

#6 Marc Shake

Marc Shake

• Normal Members
  • 1591 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 13:36

That's really annoying. I think, Geffen Records / Timbaland would create a huge lawsuit, if anybody uses 1 msec of a Sample but Timbaland stole many parts of Janne's Track. That is really disgusting.

Alles über Renoise und Linux auf meinem Blog

#7 notorius

notorius

Chief Above Chief Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 14:06

At least he could spend him some money for this 'steal'. I guess he has enuff of it.

But the worst thing is, he claims, its HIS song.

#8 Guest_kaneel_*

Guest_kaneel_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2007 - 15:35

Check again the video on youtube, an interesting video response has been posted :D

#9 keith303

keith303

• Normal Members
  • 2178 posts
  • Interests:I like big butts and I can not lie

Posted 15 January 2007 - 17:26

Check again the video on youtube, an interesting video response has been posted :D

guess it cant become more obvious now...

#10 BYTE-Smasher

BYTE-Smasher

Composes without Wires burns Directly from Brain to DVD that is already in Store Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3843 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 18:04

This story has been slashdotted, thanks to the fine trolls over at slashdot. This message has not been brought to you by slashdot.

http://yro.slashdot....4/0113234.shtml
BYTE-Smasher is a lofi orgasm in high fidelity
BYTE-Smasher is jacks disheveled sense of groove
BYTE-Smasher is chaos turned structured, then back to chaos
This signature is now diamonds
Posted Image
I'm on a horse.

#11 vV

vV

God's or Borg's Chief and Ruler of All Species

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16855 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 18:58

I filed a request on our national radio station to void any promotion request for that single if it ever is being dropped at their desk.

I think the only thing you can do against this is anti-promote the single and album as much as possible.
We don't have money but we have voices and we have our ways to contact those that have a big influence on the success-rate of a song, so just use them. Many cries make a loud noise, that's for sure ;)
Vv....

cpu Intel Core i7-4820K @3.70GHz
chipset Intel X79 chipset
mem 32 Gb 2400Mhz
os Win 7 64-bit SP1, DirectX 11
audio ESI ESP1010e - > Driver rev:2.0.6.0
video nVidia Geforce GTX780 - > Driver rev:335.23

Renoise Official Manual

#12 Marc Shake

Marc Shake

• Normal Members
  • 1591 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 18:59

I do not think, that this is really a bad thing to make "cover" versions of existing tracks but on the other hand, Geffen Records and all major-labels will kill you, if you use a 5 second-sample of a track. And THAT is, what really annoys me.

Alles über Renoise und Linux auf meinem Blog

#13 dufey

dufey

• Normal Members
  • 1066 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 19:04

So, what does this whole story mean?

That any skilled "tracker" out there is a potential hit-music-producer? Well, maybe Timbaland sells more on his name than on his music.

If you're well known and respected as a top-producer, your music might sell even if it's just a Demoscene song.

To be honest, I've heard alot of tracked songs that were "better" than the song I heard from the MOD made by this Finnish musician. (And yes, I know it was just a MOD with four channels, I'm taking that into consideration also).

So, given the right/wellknown singers and equipment, and guidance of course (I'm sure Timbaland uses some) would any of us be able to produce a "monster hit"?

Edited by dufey, 15 January 2007 - 19:04.

#14 Guest_kaneel_*

Guest_kaneel_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2007 - 19:04

It's not a cover, in that case, you name the artist you remixed.
it's not sampling, the art of sampling implies you cut, edit, loop a certain way the sample and here, it's not even the sample fitting the bpm... its the track fitting the sample :)

In all the case, you have to name, it's a question of respect.

#15 Djeroek

Djeroek

Probably More God or Borg Than Human Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6706 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 22:22

so , where's the mod? I want to remix it :)

#16 It-Alien

It-Alien

• 9593 posts
  • Interests:trackers, basketball, chess, tabletennis, programming, writing, drumming, burping

Posted 15 January 2007 - 22:39

well.. I'm a bit double-opinioned about this fact..

of course it's sad to see these things happen, on the other side, I womder why a major producer should steal such a simple and cheesy song in order to make another "hit".. I really don't understand.. Not only he ripped the melody, but he totally ripped the song by sampling it, while he could have lost 5 minutes by making it from scratch..!!

bah.. the good side of my music is that noone has interest in stealing it, and it would be anyway a nightmare even trying to do it :)
my specs:
cpu:Intel Core2 Quad Q9550 (4x2.83Ghz, FSB 1333Mhz)
audio: M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 PCI

Unschemed, hypertechnical tracked music. Sounding different since 1993.

my latest song: Lavender Town Syndrome (11'33", Psychedelic Beast)

where to find more music by me: soundcloud , jamendo , last.fm , napodano.com , facebook

RTFM.gif

("Lavender Town Syndrome, 11'33" Psychedelic Beast)

#17 junoir

junoir

Big Super Masta Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 23:02

My only opinion about this is that they should have credited it properly, and that would be the end of that story. "Track 9 contains a sample of...". I have the CD and there's no mention of it anywhere.

Some years ago, the same story happened as the track Kernkraft 400 - Zombie Nation, used the melody of one of the tunes from the C64-game "Lazy Jones" - with no credits given. That track was a lot more well-known (and was so clearly the melody it was based on) so it was more obvious too.

#18 Haplo

Haplo

Chief Above Chief Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 23:06

As already stated, it's the principle of the using other peoples work in any fashion...then claim it as your own.
At least they could have given the creator a bunch of dollars and the name printed somewere.

#19 Djeroek

Djeroek

• Normal Members
  • 6706 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 00:55

http://c64music.blogspot.com/

#20 XG2003

XG2003

Chief Above Chief Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 02:46

I think it just shows how talentless some famous 'stars' really are... There is far more good music available in the scene than in mainstream music. Timbaland didn't sample this track, he copied it and used it as the entire basis for the song. Sampling sections of music or beats is also completely wrong, in my book. He did worse than that!
Everybody should spread the facts about this plagiarism as much as possible, so his name will be mud from now on. Screw the music industry! Screw the RIAA!

Yes, it gets worse! He did nothing more than add a drum beat on top of the original tune that time.

http://www.youtube.c...;watch_response

#21 phonkey

phonkey

Big Masta Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 10:09

so , where's the mod? I want to remix it :)

Better yet... the next beatbattle sample pack should just contain one sample: "Nelly Furtado - Do it.flac"
Then we could release a cd with all these original tracks and split the profits amongst the participants.
"Hey, all the cool kids are doing it!"

I sure hope this makes it at least to the morning papers. He should not get away with his reputation intact.

#22 Guest_kaneel_*

Guest_kaneel_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2007 - 10:41

Don't take the case of Fitts For Fight, it's the same on the purpose though we are talking about emo teens who seem not to have any clue about what they did and are kind of paying the prize now...

@phonkey: nice idea, let's all rip Timbaland for the next BeatBattle!

#23 vV

vV

• 16855 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 20:17

Don't take the case of Fitts For Fight, it's the same on the purpose though we are talking about emo teens who seem not to have any clue about what they did and are kind of paying the prize now...

@phonkey: nice idea, let's all rip Timbaland for the next BeatBattle!

You can do this but the most safe way is just to use Tempest's or Greg's original song instead and then label it "Timbaland's ripp-off spank-session"
Vv....

mem 32 Gb 2400Mhz

Renoise Official Manual

#24 vV

vV

• 16855 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 20:34

I do not think, that this is really a bad thing to make "cover" versions of existing tracks but on the other hand, Geffen Records and all major-labels will kill you, if you use a 5 second-sample of a track. And THAT is, what really annoys me.

This is one part of the thing that pisses me off, the other is the RIAA that does not protect anyone that pays membership to the organisation but chase you with a broomstick if you illegaly download or share commercial content.

My consideration is that if you use material from another artist, you have the decency to politely ask permission to use it and you have the decency to credit the artist for using his/her material.
I don't know if Timbaland is personally behind the rip-off i do consider him personally responsible for not doing proper research on the source of the samples he uses if he really does not know about this.
Using sample-rips without permission of the original author is prohibited in a lot of countries.
And in this case we don't talk about a sample-rip, we discuss a schema of notes that has been translated to a sample which is not a rip but a partial rendering of the full song of the author.
It is a derivative composition which requires explicit permission.
Vv....

mem 32 Gb 2400Mhz

Renoise Official Manual

#25 Haplo

Haplo

Chief Above Chief Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 22:30

One thing that is kind of interesting with this is if Tempest doesn't get any compensation / reckognition.
There is simply no way (at least moraly) for the industry to get people to take the industry even a tiny bit seriously.
I mean if they have artists that steal other people's stuff how are they going to convince people to buy their stuff.
If they have issues today convincing people, this will be one of the flags against them.