Brainstorming: Piano Roll

• Please log in to reply
573 replies to this topic

#51 Guest_Guest_kabbefett_*

Guest_Guest_kabbefett_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2003 - 16:40

Hi.

I'm really looking forward to the pianoroll. The best piano roll I've come by so far is the one implemented in Porpellerhead's Reason. Its transparent and fast to use, no "klick 4 times on different buttons to insert a note". I especially like the "alt" modifier to insert notes.

Sonar has a nice feature I haven't seen any other place, strangely enough. It's called "scrubbing" (i think). One just drags the position line to listen to what's on the piano roll, kind of like the "press enter" feature of renoise.

When is the next renoise version roll due to be released?

sincerely,

Fredrik, Norway

#52 Guest_line 47_*

Guest_line 47_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2003 - 23:44

I would like to be able to get down and dirty with retriggers...
being able to make them smaller than e01 :)

will this be a feature in the piano roll? to have a certain number if ticks per beat? is it possible to increase thi snumber so i can make a snar dum retrigger so fast it turns into a sine wav? :)

looking great can't wait for the PR..

#53 Johan

Johan

Guruh Motha Fakka is Levitating and Knows Everything About Renoise Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1657 posts

Posted 07 June 2003 - 00:00

The resolution will be increased some time... look at the other threads. This won't be a feature of the piano roll but a general change in Renoise.

#54 It-Alien

It-Alien

Probably More God or Borg Than Human Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9593 posts
  • Interests:trackers, basketball, chess, tabletennis, programming, writing, drumming, burping

Posted 07 June 2003 - 09:36

is it possible to increase thi snumber so i can make a snar dum retrigger so fast it turns into a sine wav? :)

I've made it on FastTracker II some years ago.

Check this little test (5kb) if interested.

I've used this trick on a couple of complete modules.

The weird thing about this effect is that the pitch of the wave is controlled via the current BPM of the pattern, while the cutoff is controlled by the actual pitch of the note on the track...!!!! :o

So, if you inspect this XM on a tracker, you will see that every time the heard pitch changes, it is the BPM value which actually changes.

I've tested this on FT2 and XmPlay only. I don't think that this works on anything else, as "everything else" was not tested by me ;)

I think that there is enough resolution in ReNoise 1.x to recreate this effect.. at least because it has the same resolution of FT2.

A little note about this test song: if you loop it, some claps will show up suddenly :D
my specs:
cpu:Intel Core2 Quad Q9550 (4x2.83Ghz, FSB 1333Mhz)
audio: M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 PCI

Unschemed, hypertechnical tracked music. Sounding different since 1993.

my latest song: Lavender Town Syndrome (11'33", Psychedelic Beast)

where to find more music by me: soundcloud , jamendo , last.fm , napodano.com , facebook

RTFM.gif

("Lavender Town Syndrome, 11'33" Psychedelic Beast)

#55 martinal

martinal

Renoise Contributor

• Normal Members
  • 1158 posts

Posted 08 June 2003 - 14:19

I'm really looking forward to the pianoroll. The best piano roll I've come by so far is the one implemented in Porpellerhead's Reason. Its transparent and fast to use, no "klick 4 times on different buttons to insert a note". I especially like the "alt" modifier to insert notes.

Perhaps I should test it then. I want to make use of combinations of alt/shift/ctrl and left/right button to make it possible to avoid changing "modes" like in most pianorolls. There will be modes as well, for those who like it that way, "Edit"/"Select"/"Erase" is what it is currently.

Can you explain exactly _what_ you think makes Reasons PR so fast to use?

When it's finished. I'm done with my exams in a week now, haven't had time for Renoise for a little while.

sincerely,
Fredrik, Norway

Hyggelig det :)
<span style='color:blue'><span style='font-family:Optima'><b>martin</b> at <i>renoise.com</i></span></span>

#56 Guest_Guest_Maurizio Giannelli_*

Guest_Guest_Maurizio Giannelli_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2003 - 18:46

Which it is the resolution of the Pianoroll?

how many lines? :)

Thank's Martinal

#57 martinal

martinal

Renoise Contributor

• Normal Members
  • 1158 posts

Posted 27 June 2003 - 18:54

As said many times before, the pianoroll works on the same patterndata as the patterneditor. But the time resolution of the patterns will be increased.
<span style='color:blue'><span style='font-family:Optima'><b>martin</b> at <i>renoise.com</i></span></span>

#58 Guest_Guest_simon_*

Guest_Guest_simon_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2003 - 15:23

When it's finished. I'm done with my exams in a week now, haven't had time for Renoise for a little while.

is this queston answering simply when the next version of renoise will be out..... or when the version featuring piano roll will be out? either way, i dont mean to be pushy but is it possible to say how long in terms of weeks/months we may be waiting for the piano roll version?

thanks

#59 martinal

martinal

Renoise Contributor

• Normal Members
  • 1158 posts

Posted 29 June 2003 - 22:35

i dont mean to be pushy but is it possible to say how long in terms of weeks/months we may be waiting for the piano roll version?

no. :rolleyes:

#60 Guest_Guest_Maurizio Giannelli_*

• Guests

Posted 03 July 2003 - 09:47

Hello martinal,

Just a little question: how the progress on the pianoroll???

Some new Piano Roll screenshots would be great !!!!

I Like Piano Roll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maurizio Giannelli
Thank's.
:D

#61 sagosen

sagosen

Guruh Motha Fakka is Levitating and Knows Everything About Renoise Member

• Normal Members
  • 1586 posts

Posted 05 July 2003 - 02:57

Hm, lurer p om folk faktisk leser alle post'ene eller om dei berre skummer kjapt gjennom.. :)

Lykke til med eksamen, Martin!

fellow Oslomann, Kristian

#62 taktik

taktik

Renoise Developer

• Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15040 posts
  • Interests:füße waschen

Posted 05 July 2003 - 04:35

smöre brod ?

#63 Guest_Guest_Maurizio Giannelli_*

• Guests

Posted 14 July 2003 - 15:38

Hi,Martinal

One question:

Piano roll it visualized the entire song, one track or only a pattern for time?

Thank's :)

#64 martinal

martinal

Renoise Contributor

• Normal Members
  • 1158 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 20:35

One pattern at a time, one or more tracks. One track will be the "active" one, the other open tracks will be greyed out in the background. (A good candidate for future improvements will be editing overlapping patterns continuously.)

A little note here (you'll hate me now): the pianoroll will probably not be finished for 1.3.
This is because it depends on some other features to be useful,
which will not be finished for 1.3.

#65 Guest_Guest_daymoe_*

Guest_Guest_daymoe_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2003 - 09:24

dont hate you, but am thouroughly disappointed

#66 martinal

martinal

Renoise Contributor

• Normal Members
  • 1158 posts

Posted 02 August 2003 - 12:24

Well that was to be expected... <_<
But I guess we need to be more careful with our time promises.

#67 Universal Deluxe

Universal Deluxe

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 12:53

With the proposed increase in pattern click resoultion the Piano Roll editor will become invaluable.

I'm using Cubase SX most of the time for major orchestral work .. with Gigastudio running in the background (which, by the way runs fine with Renoise as well .. excellent!).

I grew up with tracking (started out using rockmonitor on the C64) and now I use trackers in conjunction with Cubase to produce all my proffesional work. I've been wishing for a tracker-style plugin for cubase and then I found Renoise .. with the inclusion of the Piano Roll and a good tick rate I'll probably hardly ever go back to Cubase.

I personally look forward to the new enhancement with great anticipation.

Keep up the superb work.
[]O []o[] //[] "[]"

#68 Guest_Lomaxx_*

Guest_Lomaxx_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2003 - 08:33

@martinal:

You can download a demoversion of Reason at http://www.propellerheads.se/ if you want to test the sequencer yourself.

I'm having a little hard time to explain how it exactly works, since i actually don't think about which keys i use anymore....i just use them :D also i don't have Reason right here to test it, but:

You do have the option to choose between arrow,pen, etc as default tool. usually i personnally use the pen i think. With it i can draw the bars. Then when pressing ALT, the pen switches to the arrow, which enables me to move the bars or to mark them (ALT would switch to the pen when the arrow is preselected). Holding SHIFT+ALT allows to select more then one note. And clicking on a place without a note and dragging while the arrow is active creates a selection-box in order to mark large number of bars.
After marking the bars you can move them using the arrow or copy them when holding CTRL while dragging them. I think you can also hold SHIFT while dragging in order to move them only horizontally OR vertically depending on the starting movement.

Stretching bars works by clicking at the end of the bar with the arrow and dragging it.

Clicking in the "progression bar" sets either the current playing position, the left or right loop-marker or the endmarker depending on whether you use CTRL,SHIFT, ALT or just a plain left-click.

Below the bar there can be subwindows be shown, that give you information about volume or any effect-control you set. You just choose a button of the synth you are using in the rack-window and choose right-clickmenu "automize control" or something like that and the dependant curve-subwindow is added in the pianoroll-window. In these windows you can draw your volume- or effect-curves using the pen or mark and copy section using the arrow. you also have a line-tool, which enables you to create 'ramps' easily for example for smoothly reducing volume to zero.
At that point you could make an improvement: Add a feature for using bezier-curves to draw your effect-curves. It's something i really miss in reason for making nice filter-controls for example.

I think i wrote enough so far. For further details install the demo or wait for other replies =)

Greetings,

Lomaxx

P.s: out of topic: is a linux-version of renoise planned?

#69 Guest_Lomaxx_*

Guest_Lomaxx_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2003 - 08:39

Forget my P.s.-note. i found the answer =)

Lomaxx

#70 Breakthru

Breakthru

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 04 November 2003 - 13:07

What I would find useful in a pianoroll (and even in the current pattern system too):

- When recording "live", automatic insertion of patterns when you reach the end of the current. THIS is only interesting coupled with some other functions like:
1) suppress the silence before the first note recorded (usually, I don't rush on the keyboard as soon as I push Rec... because, it's dumb, most of the time I might press some keys before the rec starts and finally, I don't want to have the first notes very loud just because I have to rush on the keyboard.

2) delete last recording quickly. Why? Because when a recording is not right, I'm not happy in the first place... Going over several pattern to delete their contents in order to start again would just drive me mad and drain my inspiration away! :drummer:

- quick visualisation of controler data and quick edit of it (quick erase data for one controller for example). This could be shown as vertical bars shown in the background (like in Cakewalk Project 5 which has an interesting approach of controller data edit). Holding one key would draw the vertical bars (controller values) instead of notes. Could be nice...

See you...

#71 Guest_tho_*

Guest_tho_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2004 - 20:28

Just one suggestion :

How about if automatic creation of sequenced patterns and arranging them side by side when doing live recording with a midikeyboard with the piano roll, so it looks like one big long pattern and scolling smoothly?

Perhaps with some small indication that there would be pattern change?

sorry if this already have been suggested.

btw , thanks for this unique program! it's great!

#72 Guest_Guest_Maurizio Giannelli_*

• Guests

Posted 29 January 2004 - 17:10

Hi Martinal, make new Piano-Roll screenshot!!!
Please :D :D :D

#73 martinal

martinal

Renoise Contributor

• Normal Members
  • 1158 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 21:08

Note that, as stated earlier, the pianoroll will NOT be finished for 1.5 (formerly known as 1.3).

Here goes:

Posted Image

#74 Gilli

Gilli

Big Super GrandMasta Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 22:41

OH MY GOD! Shoot me! I love that.

#75 Enigmatic

Enigmatic

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 30 January 2004 - 17:42

K'blamo! Now do me... :) I'm liking what I see.
Ignore your problems and they will go away.