.xrns To .xm Converter

Just wondering if anyone’s started on an .xrns to .xm converter yet… I was thinking of looking up the specs for .xm and seeing how hard it would be to pull off. This would be very useful for those of us who like to compo :)

It would be a load shit of work you need to do in the other tracker to make your song sound identical like it sounds in Renoise…
Just import the samples and start from scratch.
Besides a lot of specific instrument and commandsettings will get lost in the translation.

as it would be certainly nice to have something like that (although it’s in no way possible to make it a properly working thing which will give you pleasant results, due to format limitations), it would in my opinion even be nicer to have a 100% correct converter the other way around (xm -> xrns).
of course we can import xm into renoise natively, but we all know how reliable that is.

sry, old story i know.

I don’t even care to have 100% accurate .xrns to .xm conversion… aproximate effects would be fine… I can always tweak in milky tracker… I just don’t like composing in anything but Renoise :P

Well, there’s nothing stopping anyone willing to give it a try. :) Proper IT import would also be sweet. :)

I think it would be wise to develop a general xrns convertion utility xrns->binnary_raw which controlled with a data mapping xml file, then we need to build the xml’s for xm, mod and whatever else we need, for any other purposes.

what is binnary_raw ?

And I would like to see import for .doc, .pdf and .txt :rolleyes:

XM Specs are here:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.p…lease_id=514394

Please merge this with the other thread, I didn’t know this thread existed… Sorry.

And no, I have not started on anything. :)

Well, this time is for XM conversion, check at my site

http://zenon66.altervista.org/MyApps/applications.html

PS
It’s still the old mod converter utility with xm support added, so obviously I renamed it.

Now it’s Xrns2XMod

I was about to say yay, but then I ran it:
“ERROR: Object reference not set to an instance of an object”
:(

Is it your module SAVED with renoise 2.5 ?

Because I forgot to make a simple check with doc version, and if your xrns is NOT saved with the latest renoise, course the parsing process won’t work.

Currently I’m doing some code optimization + sample conversion, therefore in the next version I’ll put this check;
but in case your song is already saved with renoise 2.5 and conversion to xm continues to fail please let me know.

Zenon

PS
Meanwhile, you can download latest version with version check added

Xrns2Xmod 0.8 released.

Added a preliminary support for audio samples in XM.

Site:

Me too… I sometimes write a track in ReNoise (having further optimalisations in mind) and then I just rewrite it to MOD or XM. Maybe it’s time hungry solution but it works great :]

Zenon: great, I’ll check your tool!

Xrns2Xmod 1.0 published

This time all possible data is converted (pattern, sample, envelope points…)

I still have some doubt on effects translation.

site url

:)

Much as I love Renoise*…due to the still completely fucked up cell-selection behaviour, it’s still MUCH more efficient to use FastTracker or Milkytracker for XMs. Just try copying and pasting a 128-line block of painstakingly entered instrument numbers in Renoise to see what I mean. Or just the volume-column commands. Or just…ANY single cell, by itself, without a whole channel’s worth of unwanted crap. I’ve been tracking since Moses wore a nappy and in any other tracker, I can rustle up mad shit in seconds WITHOUT the burning desire to open a submenu, tick and untick some boxes, set some conditions, devise a cunning formula, cross my fingers, hold my nose, pray to Cthulu and then hope that the magic Apply button has done what I actually wanted it to. But NO, now I have to go back and fix everything with a million little mouse-clicks like a special needs kid trying to draw a Seurat on a Fisher Price blackboard.

It’s a tragic state of affairs that it’s still faster for me to do all my drum programming (and any intensive chipstyle, instrument-switching melody, or pattern delays, etc.) in Protracker on my A1200, shoot the CF card over to my PC, open the MOD in Renoise, swap out the samples and continue.

THIS IS LIKE BEING GIVEN A FERRARI AND A 20MPH SPEED LIMIT. WHAT. THE. FUCK.

(really, passionately love Renoise, despite my ranting! Obviously, I rant because I love it. And I’m not even drunk tonight)

Right-click a check box ticks the one box and unticks all the other automatically in the advanced edit. Rightclicking that box again ticks the rest back to the previous state.
Whatever is checked applies to short-cut keys as well, don’t need the rest of the clown-clicking circus perse.
So i think you are a bit overreacting. Ofcourse, would be nice to use a small key to set the field mask without needing to tick or untick boxes at all, you are right in that.

Thanks for the tips (sincerely!), but you miss my point: having to go into that stupid tickbox menu at all is a waste of time, when for 15 years - even in the most retarded trackers (lookin’ at you, OctaMed!) - I’ve been able to select my desired data cells with, for example, shift+downdowndown, shift+rightright, ctrl+c, downdowndown, ctrl+v, or whatever. Ninety nine times out of a hundred, I’m not interested in masking at all. Sure, it’s nice that it’s there, and it occasionally comes in handy, but many tasks simply don’t require it. Think about it: select your block, do a ctrl+i, you’ve interpolated the values! Lovely! Really doesn’t require a trip to the content mask as long as you have the ability to select data with specificity.

So respectfully (again, sincerely - this isn’t intended to be fightin’ talk!), I don’t think I’m overreacting. My paradigm of choice has reached its apogee in Renoise, yet my abilities have been hamstrung. And all it takes is to allow the shift+ selection to optionally cover just one cell (note OR instrument OR volume OR delay OR effectnum OR effectparam, etc) instead of automatically spreading the entire width of the current column. Much much much much much more trivial and personally subjective ‘workflow’ tweaks than this have been implemented, and that adds a little to the frustration.

I concede that I’m getting emotional about it…but Renoise wouldn’t be where it is today without passionate people who are prepared to evangelise; if evangelising about this miniscule feature is what it takes to help people realise what a timesaver it is, then I don’t feel bad about it :D

just un update, there’s a little code that I wrongly leaved

on wavUtil as reported from Eduard of Renoise support.

Currently I’m not at home so just delete for yourself and sample should be converted or wait until I ll be back :)

UR DOIN IT WRONG. Srsly, I used FT2 for years, and I find Renoise blazing fast in comparison. If you RTFM, you don’t need to pray to Cthulhu. I’ve never had an issue copying and pasting instrument numbers. Simply right click “Instrument” in content mask, select data, copy, paste. That’s a total of 1 click, 1 drag-n-click, and 2 two-key combinations. If that extra click is seriously throwing that much of a cramp into your workflow, then I’d again propose: UR DOIN IT WRONG.

I should also note that the content mask is highly useful for doing things quickly that would have taken a long time in FT2, such as copying and pasting only effect data for an entire pattern, or a selection spanning multiple tracks. There’s been many times I’ve used content mask with the humanize pattern function to heavily humanize (through repeated applications of the function) vol/pan/delay times on each note in a pattern, only to decide I wanted to revert it back to its previous state, and all I have to do is paste (with CTRL+F5) the whole-pattern worth of vol/pan/delay data I copied (with CTRL+F4) before. Call me crazy, but I’m pretty sure all this would have taken ages in FT2.

I see… well, that I agree with. There have been times I’ve found that annoying.

Zenon: Great work dude… Thanks for takin over the thread :P … Now if only I had the time to compo these days xD