Pp-switch- A Windows Power Profile Switcher

Here is a little utility some might find useful. It switches to a specified Windows power profile, runs an application and sets another profile back after the application is finished executing.

I’m using it to turn off the Cool & Quiet feature of AMD CPUs during a Renoise session, so that i have the full CPU power available. In my case with my new CPU the clock switching caused crackles too and that was annoying.

Copy the pp-switch.exe and pp-switch.ini to the application directory you want to control. Then open pp-switch.ini and modify the values to your needs. You can find out, how your power profiles are called, when you open a command prompt and type “powercfg.exe /L” into it. The value of “pwr1” is the profile to use while the application is running and “pwr2” is the value it should switch to, when the application was exited. The “runapp” value can be changed to the application, which should be started. The included values are preconfigured for usage on a german Windows and Renoise.

Simple sourcecode in C is included too.

http://www.beatslaughter.de/dl.php?id=0023

currently not at home so i couldn’t give your tool a try, but regarding your description, it sounds exactly like what rmclock does.

i use it for my c2d to switch from EIST-enabled state (C1E) to full power (multiplier & voltage switch) you can let it alter the states dynamically or switch them manually.

very handy for those doing some overclock on their C2Ds, which usually disables the “EnhancedIntelSpeedStep” functionality.

I’ve used RMClock quite a long time with my old DFI LanParty NF3 Ultra-D board, where the CnQ from the bios was quite buggy and didn’t work here. On the board i’m currently using, DFI Inifinity NF4 Ultra, CnQ runs fine.

My tool works more like a mini loader, so i don’t need to switch anything by hand and nothing is running in the background, when not needed. I’ve just modified my shortcut from renoise.exe to pp-switch.exe in the start menu and CnQ get’s disabled as long as i work with Renoise.