Renoise wont run on my PC

I either meet or exceed all system requirements. However, when I attempt to open renoise, I get a black screen, then a short white noise ‘blip’. At this point either nothing happens at all, or the program eventually loads. If the program opens and I am able to open a track, I can get the track to play, but no notes populate the ‘tracking field’ and the machine locks up.

I don’t get it… I know this isn’t much to go on, but do you have any ideas. I’m positive I will register the software if I can get it functioning.

Thank you for your assistance.

could you please send me (taktik@renoise.com) the “log.txt” ?

OK, I was able to get the program running… somewhat.

I turned off the option to start the song immediately after loading and that seemed to help.

I’m still experiencing quite a bit of lag: opening the program, loading a song, moving to offscreen tracks and a few other things. When I’m actually writing/tweaking a song, it seems to run fine… unless im doing a lot of effects.

I am running Direct X 9, which I hear may cause some issues, but I think more RAM might be my solution. If you were to look at the log.txt would you be able to tell where the problems I’m having are stemming from?

This is a great program! And again, I’m sure I will register it as soon as I can get it functioning normally.

Just let me know if you still want to see the log.txt file, and thank you for your assistance.

This is what I read somewhere about Direct X 9.0 - some graphics cards seem to have problems with it so it might not be bad idea to wait some later release. Same cards seem to work properly with 8.0 and 8.1.

I changed to dx9 when it came out and there has been no problem whatsoever. Well, but this might also be because the drivers for my hardware did not change in dx9 (geforce 2 gts, riva128, sb awe 64 gold) :D

I uninstalled dx9.0 and installed 8 just as a test and it does the same thing.

Major lag when:

Opening the program
Loading a song
Adding a new track
Scrolling to offscreen tracks

Once the ‘wait’ is over, the program runs beautifully.

And we’re talking about over 5 minutes of lag here. Perhaps there will be something revealing in the log.txt I sent you…

i don’t think you can uninstall dx 9.0 like that.
i think DX installer checks for version of installed files and then updates when necessary (when version is older). if it is newer
it doesn’t touch it.

how much memory do you have? maybe swap file starts filling with some data? what windows?

384MB RAM/ W2K

I sent the log.txt to taktik… looks like the program opens normally, then there are over 3000 (!) instances of “DDERR_GENERIC” before the program becomes operational…

Oh and also, I found a program that will uninstall DirectX. I used it to clear out 9.0 and install 8.0. There was no difference when I did this.

I can’t think of the name of the program now.

Here is a section of the log from a normal session (on my friends computer):

…Audio : ======================

DInput : ---------------------- Init
DInput : KeyboardInit … OK
DInput : ----------------------

Loading Default song

=============================== Finished StartUp

DDraw : CreatePatternFont … OK

Here is my log in the same place:

Audio : ====================== Init
DSound : ---------------------- Init
DSound CreateObjects : SampleRate 44100
DSound : CreateObjects … OK
DSound : CreateBuffer … OK
DSound : up and running
DSound : ----------------------

Audio : ======================

DInput : ---------------------- Init
DInput : KeyboardInit … OK
DInput : ----------------------

Loading Default song

=============================== Finished StartUp

DDERR_GENERIC
DDERR_GENERIC
DDERR_GENERIC
DDERR_GENERIC
DDERR_GENERIC
DDERR_GENERIC
DDERR_GENERIC
DDERR_GENERIC
DDERR_GENERIC
DDERR_GENERIC
DDERR_GENERIC
DDERR_GENERIC
DDERR_GENERIC
DDERR_GENERIC
DDERR_GENERIC
DDERR_GENERIC
DDERR_GENERIC
DDERR_GENERIC
DDERR_GENERIC… 2,921 times…
…DDERR_GENERIC
DDERR_GENERIC
DDERR_GENERIC

Obviously I’m having some sort of problem creating the pattern fonts.

Any ideas

Got it working!

Updated my video driver, that did the trick.

Thank you for your help.