#27 Conner_Bw

Conner_Bw

Probably More God or Borg Than Human Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7058 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 21:42

I'm subscribed to a announcment mailing list and saw this:

dssi-vst is an adapter that allows users of Linux audio software to take VST and VSTi audio effects and instrument plugins compiled for Windows, and load them into native LADSPA or DSSI plugin hosts.

http://www.breakfastquay.com/dssi-vst/

cpu Lenovo X220, Intel i7-2640M @ 2.80GHz ×4 os Windows 10 / Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
My Homepage » : My Renoise Tools » : Normalize Your Sig » : One million clicks! »

#28 MarvelousMarvin

MarvelousMarvin

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 09:31

I've just updated the initial post with some additional info about dssi-vst and rendering/freezing tracks.

Thank you all for your nice comments and for pointing out alternatives.
Highly appreciated. :)

MarvelousMarvin

#29 syner

syner

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 08:31

Hello I tried your tutorial and I have a problem. I have done everything step by step. Now I execure my dll and see a screen of a vsti as I can see it on Windows. But the point is that I can't see my plugin in Jack controls in Readable Clients / Output ports. Don't know how to configure MIDI in Renoise, so I configured it like this: In Device A: My plugin dll (was Renoise MIDI Input Port A). Audio settings in Renoise is Jack. Can you recognize where is my problem ? Or do you need more informations ? I have the latest wine and the latest fst, Linux version is Ubuntu 9.04.

Thank you very much.

#30 syner

syner

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 08:47

I got some errors executing through fst : cannot lock down memory for RT thread (cannot allocate memory) and jack_client_thread zombified. Maybe this is that problem, I have. I have read about zombifiing but can't remember where.

Edited by syner, 11 April 2009 - 09:06.

#31 MarvelousMarvin

MarvelousMarvin

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 12:21

@syner:
This is most propably a jack problem. Try starting the jack server without the realtime option. To be able to run jack in realtime mode, you have to jump through some hoops.
But let's just try if this really is the problem before we do anything else. :)

Good luck.

#32 syner

syner

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 15:15

Thank you for your reply. I disabled realtime mode and switched on no memory lock. Now my plugin called SUPERWAVE P8 started to play in renoise. But delay in that plugin is confused, no midi sync, long delay time. That's a pitty, that now I can't use renoise native plugin - I know the reason, that it is through midi and it doesn't run through renoise audio system. I look forward for a tutorial for dssi-vst wrapper. I tried it a little bit and for now I have problem with make install it. Compiled, but when I typed make install I got some errors, which I posted on a dssi-vst developer's forum. After all I am glad, that I can run Win vst mostly native on Linux Renoise.

Have a good time !

Edited by syner, 12 April 2009 - 07:26.

#33 syner

syner

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 07:52

I'm subscribed to a announcment mailing list and saw this:

dssi-vst is an adapter that allows users of Linux audio software to take VST and VSTi audio effects and instrument plugins compiled for Windows, and load them into native LADSPA or DSSI plugin hosts.

http://www.breakfastquay.com/dssi-vst/

But how can you use it in Renoise ? Renoise can't recognize LADSPA header - if is it an effect plugin or an instrument, all effect plugins and instruments are in effect section. How can you use dssi, if Renoise Linux version doesn't have dssi support ?

#34 syner

syner

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 12:43

I found a system how to use native renoise effect plugins with fst loaded vsti. You just have to connect your dll plugin in jack not to system audio but to a renoise. First make a settings in preferences in renoise 4 channels or more. Then choose a line in device in renoise and choose Input 02 L+R. In jack connect a source output of your plugin dll to a renoise's new source input channels. In renoise just set a midi instrument - your dll plugin and you can add a variety of renoise native effect plugin on that track. Works fine.

2nd thing is that if I use lash_panel and save a project, I don't know how it works, when I try to load a saved project, it does nothing....

#35 MarvelousMarvin

MarvelousMarvin

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 19:19

I found a system how to use native renoise effect plugins with fst loaded vsti. You just have to connect your dll plugin in jack not to system audio but to a renoise. First make a settings in preferences in renoise 4 channels or more. Then choose a line in device in renoise and choose Input 02 L+R. In jack connect a source output of your plugin dll to a renoise's new source input channels. In renoise just set a midi instrument - your dll plugin and you can add a variety of renoise native effect plugin on that track. Works fine.

Yeah. That's what I meant when writing

Actually you could use the mixer by adding two inputs for each VST you use in the preferences, route the VSTs to their own inputs using JACK and add a “#Line-In Device” that captures those inputs for the appropriate tracks.

2nd thing is that if I use lash_panel and save a project, I don't know how it works, when I try to load a saved project, it does nothing....

Did you try to run a persistent wine server?

Be aware, that there seems to be a bug in wine, that prevents lash from loading more than one VST at a time. So if you have saved more than one VST in your lash project, you'll run into problems when trying to load the project. But fear not! You can fix this little annoyance by just starting a persistent wineserver before loading your lash project. To do this, just type 'wineserver -p' (you should know about the quotes by now) into a terminal.

Greetings,
Marv

#36 s-n-s

s-n-s

Guruh Motha Fakka is Levitating and Knows Everything About Renoise Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2029 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 18:12

ahhh i need a .deb package for linux mint 6,i cant get my internet working on linux.so does anyone have it?

i went to the jack website,but you need to use the linux distributions package manager to get the .deb files.

and i dont have a glue how you compile it yourself

could someone help me out??

Subbase - Danish Dark DnB

#37 cheap thrills

cheap thrills

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 02:20

yaay i managed to get this to "work" :)

thanks marvin !

#38 MarvelousMarvin

MarvelousMarvin

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 10:29

yaay i managed to get this to "work" :)

thanks marvin !

That's great. Thanks for the feedback. :)

#39 C-Blu

C-Blu

Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 05:04

Maybe it was said earlier in the topic, but with routing audio trough JACK, you can always open a Renoise executable for Windows in Wine. Use it as a Windows-VST host, and connect the audio output of it to audio input of Renoise for Linux.

This way you can launch some plugins that may not open with FST (Festige). Maybe some of them won't work even this way, but it's pretty useful.

Also using Wine when running for example NI Massive as a stand-alone application is not that bad. It pickups great my MIDI-keyboard, and it can be BPM-synchronized through Renoise MIDI Sync. Not that bad for an emulation hehe.

#40 Epoc Reload

Epoc Reload

• Normal Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 14:29

Hello, I'm new to Renoise but I already know that I'm going to spend loads of time with it :)

I'm trying to use a Windows VST with Festige but can't figure out how to load it in Renoise, I can simply don't understand how to make it appear in the instruments list.
The VST is correctly launched with Festige though.

Can someone please help me?

Cheers
Ben

#41 danvelduck

danvelduck

• Normal Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:48

Hello, I'm new to Renoise but I already know that I'm going to spend loads of time with it :)

I'm trying to use a Windows VST with Festige but can't figure out how to load it in Renoise, I can simply don't understand how to make it appear in the instruments list.
The VST is correctly launched with Festige though.

Can someone please help me?

Cheers
Ben

Hello, Ben

To use VST through 'fst' with Renoise, you need to use JACK (and Qjackctl) to route midi and audio signals. In short the actions for fst are:

(assuming you have fst, jack and renoise setup)
1. Run Qjackctl and start jack
2. Run the VST with fst
3. Create the new instrument in Renoise
4. Make sure that Renoise is using JACK and has enough inputs (in audio preferences of Renoise).
5. Add 'Line In' device to it (http://tutorials.ren...Routing_Devices)
6. In Qjackctl open 'Connections and on 'ALSA' tab route your MIDI device to the VST.
7. In Qjackctl open 'Connections' and on the first tab route ouputs from your VST into corresponding inputs of Renoise.
8. In Renoise open Instrument's MIDI settings and choose the VST as MIDI device.
9. It should work now!

However, I believe the approach above is quite cumbersome. You can use LASH to manage JACK sessions (I don't have any experience with it), but there is another way to integrate Windows VST with Renoise - dssi-vst. If you can run your VST with dssi-vst, then try this:

(assuming you have dssi, dssi-vst, wine, jack and renoise setup)
1. Configure 'VST_PATH' environment variable to point to the place where your VST .dll files are placed.
Some details:

- Environment variables are not consistent through all of the system, they are inherited from parent processes to childs. This means that if you want Renoise to know about VST_PATH, you need to set this variable for some process that would be (grand*)parent of it.

This command will set the variable (modify paths ofcourse):

export VST_PATH="/your/path/to/vst:/one/more/path/to/different/vst/location" &

And there are several ways to pass it to Renoise:
a. If you are using ~/.xinitrc to initialize your X session, you can put the line above at the top of .xinitrc file.
b. You can just write custom .sh script that will first set the variable and then run Renoise:

#!/bin/bash
export VST_PATH="/your/path/to/vst:/one/more/path/to/different/vst/location" &
renoise

- The path should point to the folder with .dll file, as far as I've seen subfolders are not parsed by Renoise, so if you have some VST in separate subfolder, add it to the VST_PATH as well (':' is a delimiter for paths).

2. Test the VST with 'vsthost' command. The syntaxis is 'vsthost /path/to/the/dll/file'. If you run it like that, it will register VST in JACK, so you can route the MIDI controller to it (in 'Connections' -> 'ALSA' tab) and test how it works.

- Festige is a handy tool to run VST plugins from GUI. It can with both 'fst' or dssi-vst, google for it if you want.

3. Mark 'Use VST plugins' and 'Use DSSI plugins' in Plugins preferences of Renoise, then press 'Rescan' button.

4. If the VST is an instrument, it will appear in the 'Instrument settings' tab, under 'Plugins' button. Choose it and play it. Button 'Ext. editor' will show the VST GUI.

5. If the VST is an effect, it will appear in 'Track DSPs' under 'DSSI' section.

6. Sometimes the plugin may crash and hand running and consuming resources. You need to find it and kill it:

ps aux | grep vst
...some output with PID of processes, you need the process that has 'vsthost' in it's command.
kill <PID>

The second way is what I use, and it works good. You need to setup everything once, and then it just works right in Renoise.

I am writing this away from my home PC, straight from memory, so sorry if I messed up something.

Hope that would help!

PS. The first message in this thread shoud fill all the gaps in my explanation if you choose to use fst.

#42 MonsterRadioMan

MonsterRadioMan

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 06:36

Okay so I'm a complete Linux newb, I realize that. But this whole thing is confusing the hell out of me. Not for beginners thats for sure.

Okay to start with I'm using Ubuntu Studio, amd64.

I've installed Wine. Battery opens in Wine just fine.

The rest of these steps is where I'm lost. Starting with the Steinberg part of the whole thing. I go to the link: http://ygrabit.stein...html/index.html

Okay so I go there and there's just more links! I don't know where I'm supposed to go. So I went to the Steinberg website and downloaded: Bild VST VST Audio Plug-Ins SDK (Version 3.5.1) and VST Module Architecture SDK.
Is this what I'm even supposed to be downloading?
I can't get either LASH nor FST to install.
I was going to install dssi-vst, but when I did, it said it was going to uninstall all kinds of things! It tells me this:

"The following packages will be REMOVED:
ardour dssi-host-jack dssi-utils fluidsynth-dssi hexter jamin liblo7
qtractor sooperlooper ubuntustudio-audio-plugins ubuntustudio-generation
ubuntustudio-recording ubuntustudio-video whysynth xjadeo xsynth-dssi"

I'm very frustrated, and I'm sure the tone is there in my post, but it isn't meant to be malicious I've just been trying to get this to work literally all day. I'm giving up for the time being, but please if anyone can help it would be appreciated.

#43 MonsterRadioMan

MonsterRadioMan

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 23:22

Okay, so I never exactly found a solution, but what I did do was install Kxstudio and that seems to have made things a lot easier.

Edited by Garmonbozia, 08 June 2012 - 23:25.

#44 BreemiX

BreemiX

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Interests:Blues, Guitars, Computers, Improvisation, Renoise

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:49

Okay, so I never exactly found a solution, but what I did do was install Kxstudio and that seems to have made things a lot easier.

:drummer:

AV Linux 6.0 do a very good job for this !

:guitar:
Stay tuned for Drues 'n Bass!

Official site
Facebook
Ubetoo
Reverbnation
Myspace

Ubuntu 8.04 LTS
Linux 64studio 2.6.24-30-rt #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Tue Nov 8 14:01:19 UTC 2011 i686 GNU/Linux
ICEWM Window Manager

AV Linux 6.0
Linux 3.4.9-rt17-avl2-pae #51 SMP PREEMPT RT Wed Aug 29 21:13:55 EDT 2012 i686 GNU/Linux
LXDE/ICEWM Window Manager

#45 carmazine

carmazine

Chief Above Chief Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:55

There is hope for better VST handling at last!

More details:
https://bbs.archlinu...c.php?id=155470
http://linuxmusician...hp?f=27&t=10456

#46 dired

dired

• Normal Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:24

I just tried the way recommended in the first post, but after some weird errors with making fst-1.8 and regarding that the vstsdk2.3 is not available from steinberg anymore, i'm sure there is another better newer way to get vsts in linux.
What would the best way to run a vst in linux in 2013?

#47 pastormartin

pastormartin

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 09:40

Can anyone tell me in summary, that in order to use windows vsts, Renoise has to be run inder wine?

#48 vV

vV

God's or Borg's Chief and Ruler of All Species

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16855 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:54

Can anyone tell me in summary, that in order to use windows vsts, Renoise has to be run inder wine?

Running a virtual windows environment in Linux is an option as well, but neither preferable
Vv....

cpu Intel Core i7-4820K @3.70GHz
chipset Intel X79 chipset
mem 32 Gb 2400Mhz
os Win 7 64-bit SP1, DirectX 11
audio ESI ESP1010e - > Driver rev:2.0.6.0
video nVidia Geforce GTX780 - > Driver rev:335.23

Renoise Official Manual

#49 pastormartin

pastormartin

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 16:18

Running a virtual windows environment in Linux is an option as well, but neither preferable

So vV can I run Windows VSTs and run Renoise natively (non-wine) in Linux?

#50 vV

vV

God's or Borg's Chief and Ruler of All Species

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16855 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 16:01

So vV can I run Windows VSTs and run Renoise natively (non-wine) in Linux?

Some VST plugins that are made for Windows have a native Linux version which is the best option, but if you have plugins that have no native Linux version, you could try mangle with FST, or if you want to go expensive, use a hardware VST player like Receptor though not all plugins work on it.
You can get somewhere for sure using Wine, but it will be at the cost of a lot of cpu resource expenses.

The pain remains that Linux is frankly not the main system for VST and it is partially Steinberg's license construction that is the culprit. The other part is that VST developers don't seemed interested in the Linux music market as it is considered a niche market, although that may change for the better the upcoming decade, still have not see the day VST's turning booming business on Linux.
Vv....

cpu Intel Core i7-4820K @3.70GHz
chipset Intel X79 chipset
mem 32 Gb 2400Mhz
os Win 7 64-bit SP1, DirectX 11
audio ESI ESP1010e - > Driver rev:2.0.6.0
video nVidia Geforce GTX780 - > Driver rev:335.23

Renoise Official Manual