• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#51 peanatsu

peanatsu

• Normal Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 02:43

A few notes on this topic: Running renoise natively in debian 64bit is slower than running it via wine (32bit this time, although I doubt that makes the difference). That is without plugins, just measured from demo-song playback.

Running vsts in a "wined" renoise instance is also faster than using dssi-vst in native linux renoise.

And two problems with dssi-vst: 1) it can't tempo sync and 2) as far as I can tell it only saves those parameters of the vst that can be automated. Therefore, if you want to use something like Kontakt or FM8 (with its basically free-draw envelopes) you have to maintain a song folder with the vst-patches saved and reload those manually every time you start up the song. (Considering the chucklefuckery that linux-users put up with on a regular basis, this seems like tolerable overhead, though.)

I take it the FST/LASH solution saves the entire VST-instrument states? Hm.

Btw, one problem with running renoise via wine is that wine dropped jack support (according to this)

The pain remains that Linux is frankly not the main system for VST and it is partially Steinberg's license construction that is the culprit.

While that certainly is true, I could compile dssi-vst without having to download the Steinberg VST SDK. (I think the LMMS project reverse engineered the SDK headers at least partially to be able to have vestige as part of the project without running into licensing difficulties.)

Though now I wonder whether using the Steinberg SDK to compile dssi-vst would result in better performance. I guess I'd have to test that sometime..

#52 Meef Chaloin

Meef Chaloin

Big GrandDaddy Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 04:58

I take it the FST/LASH solution saves the entire VST-instrument states? Hm.

Non-session-manager does save application states (synths, samplers, sequencers etc) if the application has support for them, most things do these days. It also saves jack connections so makes things very easy.

Most of what you said in your post seems questionable to me to be honest, from my experiences with Wine. I found it to be pretty crap, if and when it worked fully it the program used a lot of cpu. That's if you can get it running properly in the first place.

#53 peanatsu

peanatsu

• Normal Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 09:40

Most of what you said in your post seems questionable to me

The only even remotely controversial statement in my post was that renoise runs faster in wine than native under my debian system. This statement however isn't even close to "most of what I said".

Anyway, inspired by your healthy scepticism I reran my benchmarks, and indeed, the native version runs faster than the "wined" version when not using plugins. (Seems my pulseaudio/jack constellation was either severely misconfigured, or there's something very wrong with pulseaudio. Getting rid of pulse fixed the problem.)

But I still have "wined" renoise + vst slightly faster than native renoise + dssi-vst. (Just an empty song with a vst loaded, so no renoise-dsps are running.)