Pitch Correction Vstfx Question

Hello all,

I hope someone can shed light for me on this topic.
I am experimenting with pitch correction plugins in Renoise, like AutoTune.
I have found this free pitch correction plugin calledd GSnap (at http://www.gvst.co.uk/gsnap.htm))

Now, this plugin (and I believe AutoTune also) have a MIDI mode, where it gets its pitch correction commands from the depressed MIDI key, instead of doing it automatically.

The thing is, I am not sure how am I supposed to do this - how to send Audio input to the plugin as well as MIDI input.
One instrument is the vocal, sitting on a track with this plugin.
I have tried adding another “dummy” instrument, with no sample, on the same track, and played some notes with it - no effect.

Tried looking in the instrument MIDI settings, nothing helped.

From the manual of GSnap:
Midi Mode: When this option is selected, notes will snap to the nearest currently depressed
MIDI note, sent either by a controller being played in real-time, or by a pre-programmed
MIDI sequence. For this to work, your sequencer must be set up so that GSnap can receive
both audio and MIDI messages.

Any help is appreciated.

Hi Icarus,
this is a known issue for vocoders and plugIns like Autotune in Renoise.
Yet Renoise can’t treat them as VST-Instruments and VST-fx at the same time.
If GSnap can retrieve MIDI-data directly, you might have some success with MIDIYoke (free) in Windows by routing the MIDI data from Renoise to one common virtual MIDI device which GSnap will read from.

Hmm.

I see. Thanks for the explanation.
I am wondering - since it is obvious that this AutoTune and plugins like it, are working with other music software, and since Renoise is smarter than all of them combined - how is this done elsewhere?

I assime that MIDIYoke is a virtual midi device that I can use to loopback? I will try it, thanks for the idea.

Hey, now that almost eight years passed by, is there a solution to this problem yet?

Hey, now that almost eight years passed by, is there a solution to this problem yet?

Apologies if you’ve been in the dark this whole time, but it’s been possible since Renoise 2.0, which was released in January 2009.

The trick is to create a Plugin FX Alias.

• Load the desired VST/AU plugin effect into a track’s DSP chain as usual. This is where you’ll send the audio you wish to process.
  • Select an empty instrument slot and go to the Plugin section.
  • Open the plugin list as if you were loading an instrument/synth, but instead create a plugin FX alias at the top of the list.
  • You can now play notes with this FX alias instrument, and its MIDI will be routed into the original plugin effect.
    Works great with GSnap, TAL Vocoder, my own Glitch 2, etc. :slight_smile:

Yet another year after, I just read dblue answer, and yes, it works fine!! :yeah:

sorry, ich muss auf deutsch fragen:

Was, wenn ich das Sample (Sprechgesang) durchlaufen lassen möchte und während dessen die Noten ändere?

Mit der Einstellung, die dblue beschrieb, startet das Sample jedes mal von neu, wenn ich eine andere note drücke

sorry, ich muss auf deutsch fragen (…)

Sorry, ich muss auf Englisch antworten :slight_smile:

The FX alias instrument which is acting as the “controller” should ideally be kept separate from your main sample.

For example:

• Instrument #1 is your “chant” sample that you’re applying some FX to.
  • Instrument #2 is your VST FX alias that controls the pitch of the FX (some vocoder, autotune, or whatever).
    You must therefore program separate notes into the pattern for each instrument: The notes to trigger the sample itself, and some other notes to control the pitch of the FX.

As long as they are separated, your FX alias notes will not interfere and retrigger your sample.

Thx so much!!!
Du bist der beste:*