Valentine's Day Compo: 80's Sitcom Jungle

EDIT: The contest is over, here are the results:

Valentine’s Day 80’s Sitcom Jungle Remixes

Because your girlfriend and/or boyfriend wanted the sitcoms of the eighties remixed into old-school drum & bass, really this is what they wanted, be mine.

Six tunes, five artists, 14.6 minutes, ZIP file, mashed-up, in alphabetical order:
Alf, Automan, Growing Pains, Midnight Caller, Night Court, Three’s Company.

Download:
http://www.trotch.com/tmp/80s-Sitcom-Jungle.zip

:wub:

-=-=-

As a follow up to the success of the Xxxmas Compilation, and because we <3 concept albums, I present to you:

Valentine’s Day Compo: 80’s Sitcom Jungle

Deadline, Monday February 9th, 2009. Submit tracks in this thread or PM me for my email.

Winners: Everyone will end up on a special Valentine’s Day compilation, to be released in the 14th of February, 2009!

One random participant will receive one free CD from either the Trotch discography or the Stereo Image discography.

Rules:
Must be jungle, must remix a north american 80’s sitcom intro.

Sitcom Intro Examples:

There are hundreds of choices. If you’re not sure if it’s a north american 80’s sitcom post it here for review.

Jungle examples:

We’re looking for that old jungle sound. You can experiment and make something more contemporary, but it has to feel like jungle. Not breakcore, not industrial, not neurofunk, not IDM, yes jungle.

Jungle is all about a build up, a “checkovian pause” and then what is called the “drop”. If the tune doesn’t create tension, then it’s a bit too “wacky” and doesn’t really feel like jungle.

If you are looking for an “experimental” reference point, check out any tune by Photek on the Hidden Camera LP. This is about the time that jungle forked into drum & bass. Photek was doing “experimental” but still had jungle vibe at the time. Alternately, people are making DUBWISE style tunes now that keep the spirit of jungle. Look for DUBWISE mixes on the net.

Tension doesn’t mean “evil.” It could be people slapping the wall and calling for a rewind while holding up lighters. Maybe the better word here is sincerity? Anyway, listen to some references tunes if you don’t know what I’m talking about.

The rules are not rigid; submit and ye shall be received. But this contest is about people struggling to make 80’s sitcoms (cheap and catchy) into jungle (big, bad, tense, murky, caribbean influenced, dancefloor rollers). Effort for the concept appreciated.

You can mash up as many sitcoms in as many ways you want. Just looking for a jungle feel. It can be a remix, a remake, bits and pieces, whatever. Challenge!

Repeat: Deadline, Monday February 9th, 2009. Submit tracks in this thread or PM me for my email.

Go!

you know I have to enter.

http://vixy.net/ is handy for downloading youtube videos

ah man! THIS is my Steeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzz!

so as long as it’s an 80’s sitcom.
doesn’t matter which one right?

also, what about more than 1 theme?

cuz i know Exactly 2 off the top of my head i would really like to do.
actually more like 4 or 5 but mary tyler moore is 1970’s :D

this one i have to take time to finish a track for :yeah:

Here we go,
http://www.archive.org/details/AlfInTheJungle_55
I wrote this this morning at 5:00am, (that is 31st December), I’m ill and cant sleep.
I took the samples from videos of ALF on youtube.
Dunno if its jungle, just went mental with the Amen.

count me in :)

The rules aren’t rigid.

You can mash up as many sitcoms in as many ways you want. Just looking for a jungle feel. It can be a remix, a remake, bits and pieces, whatever.

Oh yeah!

Haha great little tune. Fastest submission in the history of competitions ever? Really cool.

Since the deadline is February 9th (i.e. over a month) i’m going to give some feedback in the hopes that you submit a second tune: The glitch/IDM to jungle ratio is disproportionate. The timestrech at the end is a classic staple of jungle. Amens are classic jungle. Choice of bass and synth sounds are a bit on the IDM side though. Also, the BPM is too fast.

Jungle is all about a build up, a “checkovian pause” and then what is called the “drop”. If the tune doesn’t create tension then it’s a bit too “wacky” and doesn’t really feel like jungle.

If you are looking for an “experimental” reference point, check out any tune by Photek on the Hidden Camera LP. This is about the time that jungle forked into drum & bass. Photek was doing “experimental” but still had jungle vibe at the time. Alternately, people are making DUBWISE style tunes now that keep the spirit of jungle. Look for DUBWISE mixes on the net.

Again, the rules are not rigid. But as there is over a month of time to work on this I would really like to see people struggling to make 80’s sitcoms (cheap and catchy) into jungle (big, bad, tense, murky, caribbean influenced, dancefloor rollers).

Good times!

Mmm, i am familiar with the Chekhovian Pause and the liquid breaks of Hidden Camera. I just couldn’t do it! Specially with a theme like Alf’s. Once i started on it, it just happened, i turbo wrote it in just under an hour.
It’s a tricky comp.

Well the tune is cool, for sure. I will still include the Alf tune in the compilation. So, thanks!

The feedback was more along the lines as “general feedback for everyone” so that people have a common direction.

Challenge! :)

Fresher version - http://www.archive.org/details/AlfInTheJungle2.

I missed the 80’s and my therapist killed whatever I didn’t miss so I won’t be participating.

That’s no excuse, and you know it, i was 2 when the 80s finished, i didnt properly experience it. It doesn’t mean you can’t participate…does it conner? :huh:

No, of course not. These are guidelines. Interpret the theme however you want. No track will be rejected.

There…shamme

oh hey what about the 80’s cartoons?

A cartoon is not a sitcom ;)

oh situation comedy!
somehow i didn’t correlate the name, and assumed all the great 80’s tv shows. must rethink.

i was gonna suggest 80s cartoons also. being born in 1987, i’m more familiar with the cartoons, like care bears and gummy bears, most bear related cartoons actually.

Correction… most cartoons aren’t sitcoms.