My attempt

1 minute snippet …

http://www.sonofabit.com/temp/That.mp3

Feedback / suggestions?

I would not ruin this interesting snippet by turning it into a boring trance tune.

This looks like the birth of a weird and fringe experimental tune, with some slow drums in the beginning, then evolving into mad counterbeats, while highpitched evocative pads are running.

Now it’s up to you, can’t help you more for free :D

my 2€cents.

I agree, IT… This track can be very interesting as some kind of experimental psytrance with more intense drums, those used now does not do the melody justice. Or, maybe just skip the drums altogether, add more intense melodies and alter it into some kind of ambient psycho trip.

But that’s my idea, you should always take other ideas with a pinch of salt, do your own thing and rather than bend your ways to fit others, tell’em to remix it the way they thought best instead. I’d remix it… :)

Well … dunno if this is boring trance, but here is an updated version.

http://www.sonofabit.com/temp/ThatNew.mp3

Lots of work to be done yet.

Just to be on the other side of what seems to be a general opinion here :)

First of all I haven’t listened to the tune (yet), it’s more of a general thought. I don’t think it has to be boring just because it sounds like most trance music (or any other large genre). It’s not only the fact that trance is commercially big that makes it wide spread - it’s also because many actually like plain trance :) If you like trance then make trance and don’t try to do extremely experimental just for the cause. I think people are trying to hard to be unique and experimental (and not only when it comes to music) when you really should do just what you like. Hmm… that sounded way too corny but that’s my thought anyway. :)

The real trick is to do e.g. trance which is pretty plain but still is unique, experimental and catchy. Or if you put it the other way around… it’s easy to be unique when you make e.g. industrial inca music or electropop-metal :)

Final statement: Do what you like… don’t listen to others… (kinda contradicted myself here, didn’t I? :) )

Listened to the song now (the second one)… really liked the bass slide!! :) I would have made the slide part to a longer break/fíll with maybe a couple of snares and some noises/effects.

Also the resonance changes quite a bit on the first instrument. It makes the bass much louder when the resonance is low and vice versa. Maybe a EQ lowering the bass would help that…?

Hey thanks for the feedback! … yeah the bass slide definitely needs to be reworked, I want it to be longer and more interesting … I want to use the word gritty … and yeah I agree the levels / EQ’s need to be tweaked a lot still.

An easy way to make “boring trance” more interesting is to add lots of swissh/swooosh effects everywhere. Check out the VSTi “whoosh”! (Don’t remember the link though). On the downside it sounds more like Goa this way :)