• Please log in to reply
287 replies to this topic

#51 jiku

jiku

Big Super Masta Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • Interests:(Synthetic and molecular) biology, science theory, ontology, music, illustration, ++

Posted 05 May 2009 - 21:11

We talked about this back in 2004 but I've since changed my mind and think audio tracks should be implemented as part of an arranger. Having some visual representation of the wave in the pattern editor would be nice, but time/energy is limited and I think better spent on something else.
  • simonwellander likes this

Mac Mini Late 2012, OS X 10.10.2, UAD Apollo Quad

Spoiler

#52 kickofighto

kickofighto

Chief Above Chief Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 12:19

I still think hotkey clicking revealing the vertical waveform (with a toggle option) of a sample is the best way. No need for the dedicated audiotrack then.
for recording long samples and dealing with the problem of position and playback, a simple toggleable instrument option would solve this from user perspective.
Coherent audio visualisation is important, so is screen space.
Also, I have to say that I find peoples fear of straying from a tracker paradigm in the development of a single feature is unnecesary, the rest of the program will be no less tracker than it ever was.
  • bitbear likes this

#53 MonoGraph

MonoGraph

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 00:34

Rather than dedicated audio tracks...

Howabout if a long sample plays back from its correct point regardless of where you start play back in a pattern. Ideally this would be an FX command so that the long sample does not become 'rigid'.
This would make programming fills or added percusion (or musical notes) alongside a long drum loop or vocal sample less time consuming. (having to play back from the 1st step of a long sequence can be a pain)

I appreciate the 09xx command is a simple workaround for percussive multi bar loops, but not for samples that arent mathematically related to bar lengths.
With long patterns the maths could get confusing.

Being able to hear what should be playing, without needing to play from the start of the pattern (or even previous pattern) would be a godsend.
I'd be happy to sacrafice modulations to samples whilst this command is in use.

Edited by MonoGraph, 05 August 2009 - 00:42.

#54 vadarfone

vadarfone

Guruh Motha Fakka is Levitating and Knows Everything About Renoise Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1411 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 14:39

Oh, and one more thing - Don't be prejudice against vertical waveforms, that's audio discrimination ;)

No it isn't. It is visual discrimination. The angle of the visualisation does not affect the sound.
Setup: Lenovo IdeaCentre K320 3019QJ 8GB RAM, etc.

Linux Mint as main OS, Ubuntu, 7, XP, Arch all in VirtualBox.

Loving Linux.

#55 Johann

Johann

• Normal Members
  • 2774 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 15:24

I kinda think audio tracks and freezing could be the same thing. You know, because freezing is really necessary anyway, and audio tracks are potentially messy when they're somehow different from normal tracks? At least the opinions vary wildly, while freezing is kinda obvious in comparison.

When I work on a vocal track the fx aren't really important to me, at least not initially - the timing, the syllables are... and a single track with very few fx renders very fast usually!

So I wouldn't mind having to hit "freeze" to see the updated waveform... especially since freezing could be done in the background so you wouldn't have to wait for it to finish, just like you can start playing a sample near the beginning, while it is still loading the rest... Ahh this makes me drool! Think autofreezing a track when you haven't edited it for longer than X seconds... Renoise using unused memory to freeze cpu-hungry tracks and "thawing" them instantly when the track is edited or the memory is needed... oh yeah, beam me up :D

music / photos / renoise scripts

hay guises! action/reaction. I'm not into leaving or avoiding places, I ban 'em by making sure I get banned.. loadsa noise, little signal.. basically anything else makes more sense to spend energy on. thanks for the app, but from here on out we simply don't have any use for each other period. oh, and of course big shoutouts to bit-arts and kaneel and anyone else I forgot :D :D

#56 meloday

meloday

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 17:25

even though it would look nice, I, personally, don't really need a visual of the waveform. just give me the ability to play back the audio at any point in the pattern without having to retrigger/note on/note off... :w00t:

#57 trunk

trunk

Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 04:55

^ aye +1.

no need to see it if i can already see it in the sample editor.

#58 TMT

TMT

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Interests:Digital media

Posted 06 September 2009 - 10:33

even though it would look nice, I, personally, don't really need a visual of the waveform. just give me the ability to play back the audio at any point in the pattern without having to retrigger/note on/note off... :w00t:

I would be happy too if the sample had checker box for sync the sample to be played at any position. I think visual audio track could be faster to sync by dragging, depending how well it's made. Syncing is not a problem if you recorded it yourself in renoise but if you get long samples from someone else, then it might need more effort.

My tracks in Soundcloud.

SETUP:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 3.6Ghz RAM: 16Gt Kingston DDR3 1600Mhz Audio: Focusrite Saffire 6 Video: Geforce GTX980 Midi: Novation Impulse 61 Recording: T-bone SC-450 Monitoring: Audio techinca ATH-M40fs Sequencing: Renoise, Energy-XT OS: Windows 7, *buntu

#59 ANAS TANGI

ANAS TANGI

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:Music composition

Posted 09 October 2009 - 17:05

This is a professional suggestion!
Especially when you make music using vocal samples, you always want to rewind a little bit or skip ahead, so you need this function in order to avoid starting the song from the beginning every time!
Dance music need this function, I would call it the audio scroller or something.
+1

#60 s-n-s

s-n-s

• Normal Members
  • 2029 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 17:54

[color=#000099][size=3][font=Verdana]This is a professional suggestion!
you always want to rewind a little bit or skip ahead,

hmm no

Subbase - Danish Dark DnB

#61 Ozego

Ozego

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:Hip Hop, Dub, Rare Grooves, Library Music

Posted 10 October 2009 - 18:36

This would be incredible useful for ambient music and other genres that uses field recordings.
As it is now I have to add most of the sound-scape in audacity after I've rendered the song out from renosie, and although that works fine it would be much more intuitive if all the small cuts and edits could be done within renoise at the same time as the music is being composed.
Thumbs up for this suggestion.

Btw. Hi! I'm new.

#62 vV

vV

God's or Borg's Chief and Ruler of All Species

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16855 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 20:02

This would be incredible useful for ambient music and other genres that uses field recordings.
As it is now I have to add most of the sound-scape in audacity after I've rendered the song out from renosie, and although that works fine it would be much more intuitive if all the small cuts and edits could be done within renoise at the same time as the music is being composed.
Thumbs up for this suggestion.

Btw. Hi! I'm new.

Yes, the suggestion is great, but will have to wait a little longer. ReWire was also implemented to circumvent this problem for a while.
Vv....

cpu Intel Core i7-4820K @3.70GHz
chipset Intel X79 chipset
mem 32 Gb 2400Mhz
os Win 7 64-bit SP1, DirectX 11
audio ESI ESP1010e - > Driver rev:2.0.6.0
video nVidia Geforce GTX780 - > Driver rev:335.23

Renoise Official Manual

#63 cAMEL

cAMEL

Local Chief Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Interests:Desert Search For Techno Allah.

Posted 11 October 2009 - 15:43

Posted Image

Simpsons did it!!!
"Qiyamat qiyamat a tawil'.
Qiyamat qiyamat insan al kamel."

http://soundcloud.com/camelsquare/sets

#64 Bungle

Bungle

Big Masta Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 16:12

Yes, the suggestion is great, but will have to wait a little longer. ReWire was also implemented to circumvent this problem for a while.

Rewire is great and i use it all the time but it does have major disadvantages to native audio tracks

Bungle
Meh

#65 anacrucix

anacrucix

Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Interests:Renoise

Posted 20 October 2009 - 17:14

The day I can use Renoise to record my band is the day I convert everyone I know to Renoise.

#66 Last & Least

Last & Least

Local Chief Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 20:57

The day I can use Renoise to record my band is the day I convert everyone I know to Renoise.

why can't you do that now?

#67 Numtek

Numtek

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 07:26

you always want to rewind a little bit or skip ahead,
hmm no

I work a lot with big samples, lasting minutes sometimes. So I can't agree with your 'hmm no'.

I´ve been dreaming of this for a long long time. I had the exact same pictures in my head of the vertical audiotracks, it just seems so obvious and logical.

+1

+1 It indeed seems obvious and logical. Love it! It has been suggested for years, and the devs are aware of the issue, we can only respect their priorities. The issue is inherent to trackers, starting from the very first trackers out there.

Edited by Numtek, 09 November 2009 - 07:32.

#68 CosmiqFMC

CosmiqFMC

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 12:44

Long sample support FTW!!!
This is exactly what renoise is missing. For the rest, it's FINISHED!

+1 for the visualisation screenshot.

#69 Yoyek

Yoyek

• Normal Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 02:02

one big + for audio tracks!

#70 Last & Least

Last & Least

Local Chief Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 02:40

yeah not fussed abt the visual support, just to be able to play a long sample would be great...

#71 Pinwizkid

Pinwizkid

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 09:08

Been a way from the forum for a bit... Thanks for the support and for the sticky! Hopefully this will be the hallmark feature of Renoise 3, but as it has been pointed out, ReWire support does provide an alternative for the time being.

Respect to the devs who really take these suggestions seriously.

Brendan
www.BrendanBailey.net

#72 BotB

BotB

• Normal Members
  • 2840 posts
  • Interests:Yes

Posted 07 January 2010 - 09:12

Long sample support FTW!!!
This is exactly what renoise is missing. For the rest, it's FINISHED!

+1 for the visualisation screenshot.

I agree. Since Renoise added a record button, I was hoping audio track would follow soon, too. It seemed only a logical next step. Right now it's as if the record button is only there for recording short second-lasting snippets.

+ over 9000 for audio tracks, but I'm sure this topic will also pop back up every once in awhile :)

#73 td6d

td6d

• Normal Members
  • 1422 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 10:04

I don't know if I already +1'ed this one but I should have.

+1

- God have mercy on your hipster soul. -

#74 headache

headache

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 11:01

I really can't think of anything else renoise needs more than improved handling of long samples.
This "vertical visualization" would be sick !
Please, give it to us :)

#75 Sam

Sam

Big Super Masta Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 15:39

I've never used a regular DAW, but I've always assumed I'd get lost in the piano roll environment. I need the lines and beats of a tracker to stay comfortable. However, I think that implementing long visible-waveform audio tracks would make Renoise the most powerful music making machine available (to me, at least). We do not need to be able to edit the audio tracks whatsoever, beyond moving them up and down in order to get the timing right - and for the sake of hearing them even when we start at a random place in the song.

Basically, long waveforms only need the functionality that they already have when it comes to editing. It just needs to be made visible. My suggestion for visualisation is to implement a "waveform visualisation on/off". The track should look as it always has, but with a translucent/faded waveform display behind it (or on top of it, I wish I could mock it up here, but I am at work - I trust you will understand what I mean). For a drum loop we'd be able to confirm at a glance that the beats line up with the lines in the pattern (and with drum hits in adjacent patterns), for vocals, we'd be able to address timing issues and start play-back from any point.

What we don't need is a real-time visual representation of what happens to the sample as it is affected by FX, compressors, etc. Nor do we need to be able to cut and paste directly into the waveform as it is displayed in the track. There are many powerful ways in which to edit the audio that would take care of this (09xx, copying snippets of the sample into other tracks (which would be even easier to time with the main sample if we could see it)). Also, we'd be able to turn this function off in tracks where it is not needed, which would be most of them.

This is not hard to implement at all, since it only requires that the sample be shown as a ghost image underneath the track into which it is placed. It might put a strain on the CPU if there are many open at the same time, but, as I said, it would be easy to just turn them off when not needed.

Just my two cents.

EDIT: 1. apologies for picking this up again - I realise it's a topic that's been around for a long time.
2. Pattern matrix integration?

Edited by Sam, 10 February 2010 - 16:02.