15 replies to this topic

#1 wrl

wrl

Local Chief Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 11:57

As it stands, there are effects in Renoise that I wish had wet/dry controls but don't (the filter and compressor in particular), and there are certainly VSTs with which I have the same issue. I'm proposing that all effects should have a way to control the balance of wet/dry coming from them that's independent from the effect itself.

I've been wanting this for a while, but recently had an idea about a handy way to implement part of it, namely, how it could be controlled. As it stands, effects have the XF00 and XF01 commands to turn them off and on, respectively, and that leaves a whole 253 places for additional control. I propose that XF80-XFFF be used for such a wet/dry balance control as I'm describing (and automation for it would be fantastic as well), and that solution leaves XF00 and XF01 alone so as to not break backward-compatibility.

Thoughts?
  • subskan likes this

#2 It-Alien

It-Alien

Probably More God or Borg Than Human Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9593 posts
  • Interests:trackers, basketball, chess, tabletennis, programming, writing, drumming, burping

Posted 13 July 2009 - 12:30

+FF!
my specs:
cpu:Intel Core2 Quad Q9550 (4x2.83Ghz, FSB 1333Mhz)
audio: M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 PCI

Unschemed, hypertechnical tracked music. Sounding different since 1993.

my latest song: Lavender Town Syndrome (11'33", Psychedelic Beast)

where to find more music by me: soundcloud , jamendo , last.fm , napodano.com , facebook

RTFM.gif

("Lavender Town Syndrome, 11'33" Psychedelic Beast)

#3 OrbWeaver

OrbWeaver

Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 12:56

It's a pity that xF00 and xFFF weren't used for off/on in the first place, because then intermediate values would logically correspond to a wet/dry balance (where 00 is full dry and FF is full wet).

Edited by OrbWeaver, 13 July 2009 - 12:56.

#4 meow

meow

Big GrandDaddy Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Interests:IDM, breakcore, dubstep, gabba, girls, alcohol, carl's jr, drifting, fire, sushi

Posted 14 July 2009 - 20:35

I've been wanting this for a while, but recently had an idea about a handy way to implement part of it, namely, how it could be controlled. As it stands, effects have the XF00 and XF01 commands to turn them off and on, respectively, and that leaves a whole 253 places for additional control. I propose that XF80-XFFF be used for such a wet/dry balance control as I'm describing (and automation for it would be fantastic as well), and that solution leaves XF00 and XF01 alone so as to not break backward-compatibility.

Thoughts?

Excellent idea, I think that a fader would be good to have on the DSP panel as well, so you can change it manually too. That and you'd be able to see what your last xFyy command did at a quick glance (instead of searching the patterns for the command).

It's a pity that xF00 and xFFF weren't used for off/on in the first place, because then intermediate values would logically correspond to a wet/dry balance (where 00 is full dry and FF is full wet).

I would agree with this only if xF01-xFFF would have the effect on and xF00 would actually turn the effect off. A lot of times I turn off effects I'm not using at the moment in order to save CPU.

#5 cubedecibel

cubedecibel

Chief Above Chief Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 22:42

Excellent idea, I think that a fader would be good to have on the DSP panel as well, so you can change it manually too.

Yes, yes, yes!! :D

Kit list: Macbook Pro (Intel C2D 2.2Ghz, 4Gb ram + 500 gb 7200rpm disc + Asus 22" wide screen LCD)
Echo AudioFire 4, Yamaha HS-80M + Pioneer HDJ-1000, Novation Xiosynth25 + Novation KS4 +
Radikal technologies Spectralis +
Access Virus TI, Akai mpk25, Mackie 1202-VLZ, Zoom H2,
JJLabs BMC2, Numark DM3002EX, Bongos, tambourine, maracas, digeridoo, pan flute etc.

Sold most of my gear to buy an Hi-Fi system to the living room. :( Just my Virus TI left :)

#6 kazakore

kazakore

• Normal Members
  • 6140 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 12:33

I would agree with this only if xF01-xFFF would have the effect on and xF00 would actually turn the effect off. A lot of times I turn off effects I'm not using at the moment in order to save CPU.

Also kinda needed for meta-devices so we still need a way to turn on and off, not just wet/dry mix.

#7 OrbWeaver

OrbWeaver

Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 17:06

Yes of course, although that's an optimisation issue rather than an usability issue. Renoise could have an optimisation whereby any effect that was 0% wet mix would be inactivated to save CPU.

#8 meow

meow

Big GrandDaddy Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Interests:IDM, breakcore, dubstep, gabba, girls, alcohol, carl's jr, drifting, fire, sushi

Posted 18 July 2009 - 11:02

Yes of course, although that's an optimisation issue rather than an usability issue. Renoise could have an optimisation whereby any effect that was 0% wet mix would be inactivated to save CPU.

It's got my vote. :walkman:

#9 Brawny

Brawny

Guruh Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 12:59

yes please :yeah:
Sponsor me or the team!
https://www.justgivi...s/ridestoriches
Read more here:
http://www.ridestoriches.co.uk/

Soundcloud
DAW:
i7-920@4.4GHz : Gigabyte EX58A-UD3R : 6GB GSKill Eco : M-Audio Delta1010 (Rack) : ATI 5770 : Corsair Force 3 90GB SSD : 2xSeagate 500GB (RAID0) : 2x750GB (RAID1) : Korg Kontrol 49 & other MIDI kit.
Lappy: Asus C90s : E7500-3.15GHz : 4Gb RAM : 8600M GT 512MB : Fujitsu 250GB HDD

Both on W7 64 (Pro & home respectively)

https://soundcloud.com/brawneye/starkstar

Please bookmark & use this.

#10 Programix

Programix

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 13:14

+ :dribble:

#11 Johann

Johann

Guruh Motha Fakka is Levitating and Knows Everything About Renoise Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2774 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 14:01

:w00t: :w00t: :dribble: :w00t: :w00t: :dribble: :w00t: :w00t: :dribble: :w00t: :w00t:
:w00t: :dribble: :w00t: :w00t: :dribble: :w00t: :w00t: :dribble: :w00t: :w00t: :dribble:
:dribble: :w00t: :w00t: :dribble: :w00t: :w00t: :dribble: :w00t: :w00t: :dribble: :w00t:

Edited by Johann, 23 July 2009 - 14:02.

music / photos / renoise scripts

hay guises! action/reaction. I'm not into leaving or avoiding places, I ban 'em by making sure I get banned.. loadsa noise, little signal.. basically anything else makes more sense to spend energy on. thanks for the app, but from here on out we simply don't have any use for each other period. oh, and of course big shoutouts to bit-arts and kaneel and anyone else I forgot :D :D

#12 s-n-s

s-n-s

• Normal Members
  • 2029 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 23:50

Also kinda needed for meta-devices so we still need a way to turn on and off, not just wet/dry mix.

yes sir,we need that

Subbase - Danish Dark DnB

#13 Syflom

Syflom

• Normal Members
  • 1456 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 01:03

what i don't get is why it wasn't wet/dry from the start.

In the beginning was the Word
 My XRNX tools: Loop Block Size, Write BPM, Sustain Instrument
Renoise my suggestions: sample pause command, continually paste within selection, advanced edit resize

#14 kazakore

kazakore

• Normal Members
  • 6140 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 10:15

Is a bit weird. I used to use Wet/Dry on third party effect, rather than turning them off, before ADC was introduced as otherwise you would often get a little click.

Shouldn't be too hard to incorporate I would hope. .xrns knows which version of Renoise it was created with so would know if it's using the old or new format of the xFyy command was used and translate if needed...

#15 wrl

wrl

Local Chief Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 07:30

so hey uh
bumping this (perhaps in bad taste) because i would still like to see this considered and it's been some time since it was brought up

Edited by visinin, 11 December 2009 - 07:31.

#16 Johann

Johann

• Normal Members
  • 2774 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 07:43

:w00t: :w00t: :dribble: :w00t: :w00t: :dribble: :w00t: :w00t: :dribble: :w00t: :w00t:
:w00t: :dribble: :w00t: :w00t: :dribble: :w00t: :w00t: :dribble: :w00t: :w00t: :dribble:
:dribble: :w00t: :w00t: :dribble: :w00t: :w00t: :dribble: :w00t: :w00t: :dribble: :w00t:

music / photos / renoise scripts

hay guises! action/reaction. I'm not into leaving or avoiding places, I ban 'em by making sure I get banned.. loadsa noise, little signal.. basically anything else makes more sense to spend energy on. thanks for the app, but from here on out we simply don't have any use for each other period. oh, and of course big shoutouts to bit-arts and kaneel and anyone else I forgot :D :D