Almost ashamed of my questions, but...

Hi everybody,

I’m pretty sure there’s an obvious way to do what I want, but I can’t find it ! So please, don’t be too rude with me…

1. How can I create a ‘Default Pan’ for an instrument ? example : I want the instr 1 to have a pan of #10, instr2 a pan of #30, and so on (without having to enter the Pan in the Pattern Editor, of course)… The only way I found was to create a Panning curve in the Instrument editor, looping on the first point… Not very handy.

2. Imagine I have a Violin sample. I’d like the Instrument 1 to play it with a specific volume curve, and the instrument 2 to play it with another curve… How can I link two instruments on ONE sample ? I don’t want to copy the sample each time I need it !

That’s all. All apologies if these questions sound stupid. Thanks for your help and comprehension !

Jnv

1. You should rather use sustain than of loop.

2. You can’t. Sorry :)

your questions are far from stupid! you should never be ashamed of asking anything, anyway.

but yeah, i think both of these show weaknesses in renoise - the lack of instrument panning seems to be a pretty bizarre thing not to have… are we gonna get this in the future?

as for the violin example, i agree - the ability to have multiple instruments running from the same sample would be very nice, and it’s something i’ve mentioned to developers in the past. i don’t think it’s really needed, though - simply because .RNS files aren’t really designed for scene releases, which is the only real reason you’d need to keep a filesize down (unless the violin sample is ENORMOUS and you’re running low on disk space).

still be nice though ;)

If it can bring the memory usage down it might be a good way to go. I guess Renoise takes up lots of mem with large samples although I’ve never had a problem with this.

well, RNS files seem to take up more room with pattern data than samples :unsure:

like my beatbattle 2 entry:

unzipped - 8-9 megs
zipped - 400k

this should be addressed with next major version, as I’ve heard that the pattern data will be optimized (only used data will be saved)