3 replies to this topic

#1 Djeroek

Djeroek

Probably More God or Borg Than Human Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6713 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 07:33

Now that we've got an amplitude demodulator device in the form of the signal follower, why not also get a frequency demodulator in the form of a pitch tracking device? :-)

Besides the possibility to act as sort of a 'tuner' (being able to detect frequency in Hertz and its position in the Western chromatic scale for example, think gtune vst), I imagine it would analyze the frequency content in a track channel and could output 'values' to control other devices/events. Think; notes in the pattern editor or trigger samples whenever similar pitches in the analyzed signal occur.

This is not the same as the 'key-tracking device' , taking just pattern editor note events for input, it would extract periodicity information out of a signal in real-time.

Why would this be cool?

Native auto-tune?

Hopefully not ;-)

....also Renoise, unfortunately, doesn't have oscillator devices to output control information too...

I dream of analyzing a sample and have Renoise automatically fill in the pattern editor with note-pitch data!
Being able to set-up mappings of what frequency in the analyzed signal would trigger what sample in the instrument list.

For very rough analysis this could be a real-time job, but maybe off-line processing would be better for quality conversion.

This isn't impossible. Melodyne is doing it for a while and the core technology is based on fft calculations. Algorithms, some already on the streets ( http://en.wikipedia....ction_algorithm , http://www.cse.ohio-...WB.icassp02.pdf ).

The request isn't super high on my wish-list, but maybe around version 4.0, Kraken has some free time to look into this? :)

Cheers,

R

#2 martyfmelb

martyfmelb

Big Masta Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 13:36

....also Renoise, unfortunately, doesn't have oscillator devices to output control information too...

Renoise can create a parameterised oscillator. Just put a DC Offset followed by a RingMod, et voila you have an oscillator at the frequency of the RingMod.
soundcloud : traxinspace
os win7 / directx11 skin aero default mobo asus m4a 89td pro / usb3 cpu amd phenom ii x6 1055T @ 2.8ghz + mem 8gb 1333mhz ... I think
video ati radeon hd 6900 under catalyst sound onboard realtek under asio4all, audiobox usb
storage local seagate sata 250gb as c:\ external seagate ide 1tb as l:\
utils 7 taskbar tweaker, hoekey hotkey manager, launchy, strokeit mouse gestures, nexus dockbar, winsplit revolution window organiser

#3 It-Alien

It-Alien

Probably More God or Borg Than Human Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9593 posts
  • Interests:trackers, basketball, chess, tabletennis, programming, writing, drumming, burping

Posted 03 January 2010 - 18:03

I have suggested this during the alpha stage of 2.5, but the idea was not accepted because the precision of the result would not be satisfactory
my specs:
cpu:Intel Core2 Quad Q9550 (4x2.83Ghz, FSB 1333Mhz)
audio: M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 PCI

Unschemed, hypertechnical tracked music. Sounding different since 1993.

my latest song: Lavender Town Syndrome (11'33", Psychedelic Beast)

where to find more music by me: soundcloud , jamendo , last.fm , napodano.com , facebook

RTFM.gif

("Lavender Town Syndrome, 11'33" Psychedelic Beast)

#4 BYTE-Smasher

BYTE-Smasher

Composes without Wires burns Directly from Brain to DVD that is already in Store Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3843 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 20:14

Meh... it could come with the warning of "this thing isn't precise at all" :P
  • Psynapsex likes this
BYTE-Smasher is a lofi orgasm in high fidelity
BYTE-Smasher is jacks disheveled sense of groove
BYTE-Smasher is chaos turned structured, then back to chaos
This signature is now diamonds
Posted Image
I'm on a horse.