Filter Effect

What exactly is the difference between using a filter as in the filter effect in Renoise and using a parametric EQ with a lowpass filter? I assume that when setting the filter2 effect in Renoise to LP -12dB, LP-24dB or LP-48dB, it would give the same results as when you used a parametric EQ with lowpass filters, giving the different dB values depending on how many lowpass filters you use. The plugin I’m using (Ultrafunk fxEqualizer) seems to work with 6dB/octave when using a Q of 1.4, but when I use a Q of 0.7 this changes. Not really sure why that is either actually. Does anyone know anything about that as well? The real question I actually wanted to ask is what is the advantage of using the MoogLP setting in the filter2 effect over using a parametric EQ with lowpass filters? How do I know what Q is used in the filter?

Btw I hope this is the right forum for these sort of questions (including my ‘Bits’ topic as well). I don’t quite consider them ‘Beginners Questions’, and ‘Help & Support’ would be more for software related things only. I just wish there was a ‘Music Production’ forum, devoted to all aspects of producing. :rolleyes: Or would this really belong in the ‘Beginners Questions’ forum?