35 replies to this topic

#26 kazakore

kazakore

Probably More God or Borg Than Human Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6140 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 11:55

That's very easy to declare, because automations represent parameter values and since there is no way to translate dB to panning values for instance there is a risc your plugin might crash because it has to cope with a value in a range it might not support the value.
And that is the reason why you cannot copy automation from parameter X to parameter Y.

Really? I thought Automation was always a value between 0 - 1 internally. Sure it displays real value for native DSPs but I thought it probably converted on the fly. For all third party plugs it's got to be the 0 - 1 range though hasn't it?

#27 vV

vV

God's or Borg's Chief and Ruler of All Species

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16855 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 14:17

Really? I thought Automation was always a value between 0 - 1 internally. Sure it displays real value for native DSPs but I thought it probably converted on the fly. For all third party plugs it's got to be the 0 - 1 range though hasn't it?

That depends, if the envelope point positions indeed are based upon the 0-1 value, it might be no problem, but if they are based on the translated scale, this has to be changed first then.
Vv....

cpu Intel Core i7-4820K @3.70GHz
chipset Intel X79 chipset
mem 32 Gb 2400Mhz
os Win 7 64-bit SP1, DirectX 11
audio ESI ESP1010e - > Driver rev:2.0.6.0
video nVidia Geforce GTX780 - > Driver rev:335.23

Renoise Official Manual

#28 kazakore

kazakore

• Normal Members
  • 6140 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 14:28

That depends, if the envelope point positions indeed are based upon the 0-1 value, it might be no problem, but if they are based on the translated scale, this has to be changed first then.

As a test, opened new song, added a EQ10, put in a couple of automation points, min, 0dB, max and copied to clipboard.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<EnvelopeSelectionContent doc_version="0">
<Points>
<Point>0,0.0</Point>
<Point>5120,0.5</Point>
<Point>9728,0.5</Point>
<Point>16383,1.0</Point>
</Points>
<RangeLength>16384</RangeLength>
</EnvelopeSelectionContent>

As you can see 0 -1 values, although showed and editable as -20dB - +20dB within Renoise.

All Automation will be in 0 - 1 values and there should be no problems!

#29 vV

vV

God's or Borg's Chief and Ruler of All Species

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16855 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 15:51

As you can see 0 -1 values, although showed and editable as -20dB - +20dB within Renoise.

All Automation will be in 0 - 1 values and there should be no problems!

Ok, you got me cornered. Next round :P
Vv....

cpu Intel Core i7-4820K @3.70GHz
chipset Intel X79 chipset
mem 32 Gb 2400Mhz
os Win 7 64-bit SP1, DirectX 11
audio ESI ESP1010e - > Driver rev:2.0.6.0
video nVidia Geforce GTX780 - > Driver rev:335.23

Renoise Official Manual

#30 thematrixhasyou

thematrixhasyou

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 19:54

That means it is possible...? :D
Hell, please do this! :drummer:

#31 endonyx

endonyx

Chief Above Chief Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • Interests:all forms of original / hi-energy / agressive music!

Posted 10 April 2011 - 18:52

Go to Advanced Edit.

Deselect every but Automation.

Select Track In Song.

Copy Track (Shift+F4)

Move to new track and Paste Track (Shift+F5)

Surely that does what you want, no?

i never really understand the potential of the advanced edit tab untill this very simple explenation of it!!! thank you very much :)

#32 loimi

loimi

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 00:45

I didn't find high-res automation recording in 2.8 beta, so a bump is needed. Also recording MIDI instruments with CCs is tedious to setup: incoming instrument data has to be mapped into MIDI meta device for it to even get recorded in low resolution. It would be nice to just be able to record incoming MIDI data into appropiate controller lanes.
  • Cie and Djeroek like this

#33 Cie

Cie

Guruh Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 21:44

I didn't find high-res automation recording in 2.8 beta, so a bump is needed. Also recording MIDI instruments with CCs is tedious to setup: incoming instrument data has to be mapped into MIDI meta device for it to even get recorded in low resolution. It would be nice to just be able to record incoming MIDI data into appropiate controller lanes.

Indeed. It is a pity because it sounded promising early last year having it in a beta included.

*bump*

#34 dired

dired

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:human interaction, music production & live performance, going outside into nature, deeper computer-related stuff

Posted 05 June 2018 - 00:11

Hey there,

I might have missed it but we just stumbled upon the problem that this thread was originally about.

Did a way come up in the meanwhile, how to record automation not in pattern-line precision but as automation curves (or in general: with higher resolution, without using the FX column at all)?

Best regards!

Edited by dired, 05 June 2018 - 00:54.

#35 danoise

danoise

• Renoise Team
  • 6892 posts
  • Interests:wildlife + urban trekking

Posted 06 June 2018 - 15:33

Did a way come up in the meanwhile, how to record automation not in pattern-line precision but as automation curves 

In a way, this is what the topic is about: high-res graphical automation envelopes. 

But it sounds like you've not discovered how to record into envelopes in the first place? 

Check the manual (chapter on graphical automation): 

http://tutorials.ren...ical_Automation

Depending on the Automation setting in the Pattern Editor's Control Bar, your changes will then be recorded as either Effect Commands or as graphical envelopes.

• dired likes this

Tracking with Stuff. API wishlist | Soundcloud

#36 dired

dired

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:human interaction, music production & live performance, going outside into nature, deeper computer-related stuff

Posted 24 June 2018 - 12:44

In a way, this is what the topic is about: high-res graphical automation envelopes. 

But it sounds like you've not discovered how to record into envelopes in the first place? 

Check the manual (chapter on graphical automation): 

http://tutorials.ren...ical_Automation

That's correct, didn't discover it, shame on me!

That was misleading me to think it wasn't possible - so it is possible and this topic is about upping the resolution.

So I say +1 to a not-further-specified implementation of "uncompressed automation recording" :lol:

Although I am a bit experienced in programming, I didn't ever come as far as checking out the lua-stuff you can do with renoise. My unprofessional discrete ideas of ways to implement it:

• An additional automation-mode exclusive to storing realtime-human-input. It could be a third button called "[Feed]" next to [Draw] [Line], when it is activated you cannot use the mouse at all, it will only record (when recording is activated) and saves (all) midi-messages/control-changes of a mapped controller (in a data-structure that will need to be additionally saved for the automation for the pattern)
  • Being able to specify LPB for the automation of a pattern (doesn't solve that some midi messages (=controller changes) are going to be lost, the ones in between the lines)
  • Free-Draw mode for the automation of a pattern (involves an additional data-structure for that kind of automation, basically the first idea again but non-specific for which input is used mouse or controller)

I'm a bit out of touch since I only just start renoising after 2 years, pelase excuse my ignorance.

Edited by dired, 24 June 2018 - 12:44.