• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 esaruoho

esaruoho

Guruh Motha Fakka is Levitating and Knows Everything About Renoise Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • Interests:// Free Energy // Cymatics // Sound visualization // Sustainable energy production // Apple devices // Tesla Motors //

Posted 13 April 2011 - 23:04

Hi, I tend to muck around Efnet #renoise a bit on Terminal (on OSX) and then cmd-tab back to Renoise. Or maybe I'll stop playback with the panic button and still want to pckeyboard jam something on top of what used to be playing. And for some reason, during this session, I seem to be misplacing the pckeyboard input all the time. It doesn't matter if I'm in the Pattern Editor or if I'm in the Sample Editor, it just refuses to play. Then a bit later, the samples will play. This is really confusing work, because I've never had Renoise just go quiet so often. I mean, I'm used to having a VST go quiet for a while, but to have samples go quiet, for the pckeyboard input to completely stop, it just feels really strange, I don't remember Renoise ever functioning like this.

How can I help in pinpointing what's going on in this session, so that this could be fixed? It's really bothering me since I don't have access to a midikeyboard no more.
One other interesting thing is that I *AM* able to put in a note off command, but can't input notes into the Pattern Editor. The sample doesn't play, and no note is recorded to the Pattern Editor. Really really strange.

One other detail is that I do use the Panic-key for Stop. However, now that I'm writing this, I go back to Renoise and it actually refuses to allow the pckeyboard to be heard while in playback-stopped+pattern_editor_focused+record_mode_on, no pckeyboard input is recorded to the pattern apart from the Off-command if I press it, and no amount of "start playback of pattern"/"start playback of song" seems to want to do anything.

This most certainly seems to happen when cmd-tabbing between applications and returning back to Renoise. But it also seems to sometimes just occur even if I've been in Renoise only.

Cursor keys work, capslock(=noteoff) works, but keys aren't input. It's really weird to cmd-tab from a browser or a Terminal and notice that you can't type in notes.

Edited by esaruoho, 13 April 2011 - 23:09.

| lackluster Website | lackluster on bandcamp | lackluster on facebooklackluster on soundcloud | esaruoho on twitter |

esaruoho@gmail.comesaruoho on reddit | esaruoho on ello | 

| OS X 10.11 El Capitan | Mac Book Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo / 8GB 1067 MHz DDR3 |

| Latent Impulse Tracker/Scream Tracker 3/Schism Tracker <-> Renoise fanatic |

More API functions, please! ;)

#2 esaruoho

esaruoho

• Normal Members
  • 2533 posts
  • Interests:// Free Energy // Cymatics // Sound visualization // Sustainable energy production // Apple devices // Tesla Motors //

Posted 13 April 2011 - 23:11

Also it seems that one of the only ways to flip pckeyboard input back on, is to switch Global View Presets (from Pattern Editor, to Sample Editor, for instance - pckeyboard playback will start again and then when you get back to Pattern Editor, record will work).

This is really wonky.

| lackluster Website | lackluster on bandcamp | lackluster on facebooklackluster on soundcloud | esaruoho on twitter |

| OS X 10.11 El Capitan | Mac Book Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo / 8GB 1067 MHz DDR3 |

#3 Djeroek

Djeroek

Probably More God or Borg Than Human Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6721 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 01:26

Since when did this behavior start? Did you install a new script or change preferences?

#4 esaruoho

esaruoho

• Normal Members
  • 2533 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 01:39

Since 2.7b5
No preferences have been changed.. and no new scripts.

#5 Djeroek

Djeroek

Probably More God or Borg Than Human Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6721 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 01:53

Could it be the edit/preferences/keys tab configuration is screwed and influences the keyboard input? Maybe some of the shortcut assignments conflict with script shortcut assignments? Dunno just blurting out what comes to mind as I remember you're fond of tweaking these to best fit your workflow / impulsetracker :) .

You could reset the keybindings to check if it makes a difference, but first save the current set-up!

#6 sun

sun

Chief Above Chief Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 06:31

yeh i noticed that too, sometime my spacebar (probably other key as well) wouldn't start the play of my song and i was like wtf ? the keyboard still worked under windows after but not in renoise, to fix it i just typed a few word in notepad....

#7 taktik

taktik

Renoise Developer

• Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15040 posts
  • Interests:füße waschen

Posted 28 April 2011 - 17:38

A small bumping reminder for me. have not forgotten about this, but found no way to replicate this here so far.

Does anyone else found a pattern when exactly this happens and when not?

#8 esaruoho

esaruoho

• Normal Members
  • 2533 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 20:50

It seems that the b6 - >b7 fix fixed it at least somewhat. But for the past 1,5 years I've been getting random and sporadic, virtually untraceable issues with "Renoise thinking tab-key is down and continuing to tab around the Pattern Editor until you press a key, any key, then it stops and then it continues". I've been amazed at how it still keeps happening, and how i still can't figure out what exactly causes it, the only way I can get out of that "mode" is to restart Renoise :D