• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 troupe

troupe

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 03:47

Loving 2.7 :) However, it seems like something has changed in Rewire or the rendering engine, as I'm having a couple different issues using Renoise with Reaper as a slave. For one, whenever I start playback through Renoise (which is the master) I now get tons of glitches/artifacts. If I start playback in Reaper it seems to be fine. That's not really a huge deal, but similar weirdness pops up during rendering. It seems like the render actually resets or glitches occasionally at the beginning of patterns. It's kind of hard to explain, but it basically sounds like the audio is completely cutting off for a split second before the downbeat of the pattern, as though I rendered each pattern individually (with no reverb tails or anything) and spliced them together. What's odd is that it doesn't happen at every pattern, or even a majority of patterns. I can't really tell exactly triggers the glitches, but it could be a volume thing since pattern starts normally contain crash cymbals/kicks/new elements/etc.

Let me know what kind of further info you might need. I have a few songs from this project that I hadn't used 2.7 on yet and everything runs perfectly fine in 2.6 with those files, so I don't think it's a Reaper issue or anything with hardware. It seems that something in 2.7 has subtly changed.

On a semi-related note, the only way to close Renoise+Reaper combo is to X out of Reaper, which causes Renoise to spike drastically in CPU, then hammer the close button on Renoise before another CPU warning comes up. You can't close Renoise without closing Reaper, but closing Reaper causes both to basically crash. ;) That could definitely be a Reaper issue though (although the giant CPU spike in Renoise indicates that something's up with it too) -- just thought I'd mention it (this particular issue has been around since I started using them together at v2.6).

Again, let me know what info you might need and I'll provide it asap. Appreciate the great work, fellas!

Thanks,
-Troupe

#2 taktik

taktik

Renoise Developer

• Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15040 posts
  • Interests:füße waschen

Posted 14 April 2011 - 10:13

Hey Troupe,

would be great if you could give us access to the song you are using in Renoise and in Reaper. Quickly tested this does not happen here.

Or does this also happen with a "simple" Reaper project (like one audio track playing back something in Reaper) for you?

And are you sure the same thing does not happen with 2.6? If you only remember that it used to work fine, could you please test it again, so we know where to start looking for the problem.

#3 troupe

troupe

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 18:08

Hey Troupe,

would be great if you could give us access to the song you are using in Renoise and in Reaper. Quickly tested this does not happen here.

Or does this also happen with a "simple" Reaper project (like one audio track playing back something in Reaper) for you?

And are you sure the same thing does not happen with 2.6? If you only remember that it used to work fine, could you please test it again, so we know where to start looking for the problem.

I can definitely give you the file, but it's pretty huge :D I'm doing a mix for a band so there are tons of vocals/keyboards/drums/guitars/fx/processing in both Reaper and Renoise being routed all over the place -- I did a test with a simple fresh Reaper file and there was no issue, so it does appear to be based on the RAM or CPU usage in Reaper. However, when I turned off all the FX processing in both Reaper and Renoise I didn't see any improvement, so it doesn't seem to be linked to a specific plugin or even overall CPU.

I can send you a file that uses Renoise 2.6 and one that uses 2.7 if you'd like -- they'll be huge, but they should let you reproduce the issue. Let me know and I can send you an email.

Cheers!!
-Troupe

#4 taktik

taktik

Renoise Developer

• Admins
  • 15040 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 22:09

Could also please also try this with some other ReWire master (or Renoise 2.6). My guess is that Reaper needs a while to "prepare" its playback - pre-loads files and stuff. It can do this fine when you are playing from Reaper, but maybe has a problem with this when starting to play from the ReWire slave (or master).

Either way, it would be great if we could find out more info about this - when exactly this starts to happen. Else it will be hard to do anything here - for us or the Reaper crew.

#5 taktik

taktik

Renoise Developer

• Admins
  • 15040 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 10:40

Found the problem. Should be gone in the next 2.7 update or at least should be way better...

#6 troupe

troupe

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 17:27

Found the problem. Should be gone in the next 2.7 update or at least should be way better...

You da man :yeah: