4 replies to this topic

#1 Dan

Dan

Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 09:02

I think that I have experienced the following problem.

In Track DSPs : (*Meta) Instr. MIDI Control (Track DSP):

O The initial assigning of values of certain particular CC's, I think, were sometimes incorrect (were, I think, sometimes offset by an increment of 1) (but, after changing the CC values to 0 and then back to other values, were subsequently correct), which, I think, has to do with what I think may be Renoise, in Track DSPs : (*Meta) Instr. MIDI Control, not initially assigning a value of "0" for those CC's , and, involved with that, Renoise, in Track DSPs : (*Meta) Instr. MIDI Control, in some way, in general, not correctly assigning CC values

----

Also, I am definitely experiencing the following problem.

In loading a song, when, in that song, in Track DSPs : (*Meta) Instr. MIDI Control (Track DSP), values of certain particular CC's are assigned; And, also, not just when loading a song, but in general:

O Renoise does not assign (does not send), to MIDI instruments, values of (or, maybe, does not assign (does not send), to MIDI instruments, correct values (non-offset values) of) certain particular CC's (CC's such as instrument Bank CC's (CC #0 and CC #32), and, also, I think, some other CC's); For example: in order for Renoise to, with (*Meta) Instr. MIDI Control (Track DSP), change the Prg-Change instrument of a MIDI instrument to a Prg-Change instrument on another Bank on that MIDI instrument that has the same Prg-Change number, I have to, in Renoise, in (*Meta) Instr. MIDI Control (Track DSP), assign the desired instrument Bank CC's (CC #0 and CC #32), and then, in Renoise, in (*Meta) Instr. MIDI Control (Track DSP), change the value of the Prg-Change to another value and then back to the desired value

P.S.

I have experienced this problem also in previous versions of Renoise, so I think that maybe I should not have posted this report in this beta testing bug-reporting sub-forum, but, rather, should have posted this report in the main bug-reporting sub-forum.

Edited by Dan, 25 April 2011 - 12:18.

#2 It-Alien

It-Alien

Probably More God or Borg Than Human Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9593 posts
  • Interests:trackers, basketball, chess, tabletennis, programming, writing, drumming, burping

Posted 26 April 2011 - 15:48

first of all, your writing style is very very confusing, with lots of concurring sentences written among an intricated jungle of commas and braces; I had some hard time trying to get the meaning out of it. try to read yourself again and you will find it hard understanding yourself too.. maybe you are using an automatic translator?

now, if I got what you mean, your main problem is that the MIDI Control DSP does not send an initial value to Renoise when it is instantiated and/or when a slider is associated with a CC number. You are right: Renoise never did it, and in my opinion it should not do it, as doing it could interfere with the current CC setup.

could you please describe the reasons for which such initialization values should be sent?
my specs:
cpu:Intel Core2 Quad Q9550 (4x2.83Ghz, FSB 1333Mhz)
audio: M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 PCI

Unschemed, hypertechnical tracked music. Sounding different since 1993.

my latest song: Lavender Town Syndrome (11'33", Psychedelic Beast)

where to find more music by me: soundcloud , jamendo , last.fm , napodano.com , facebook

RTFM.gif

("Lavender Town Syndrome, 11'33" Psychedelic Beast)

#3 taktik

taktik

Renoise Developer

• Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15040 posts
  • Interests:füße waschen

Posted 27 April 2011 - 09:19

Dan: Would be great if you could set up a small example XRNS file, so we can test out what you are doing and try to understand what exactly happens. I also can't follow you here.

And as IT-Alien said: MIDI Control DSPs do not send initial values. Just like switching presets in MIDI Control DSPs does not send any values. This is by design, to allow setting up MIDI control templates without actually ruining the attached devices current state - if you don't want so.

#4 Dan

Dan

Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 13:38

taktik and It-Alien,

Thank you for replying to me. I know that my writing style can be hard to follow. I apologize. It's difficult for me to express myself clearly in writing. I'll try to write more clearly from now on.

I've attached an xrns file in this message which has an instance of an Instr. MIDI Control Track DSP that has CC settings whose corresponding values Renoise doesn't initially send to the targeted MIDI instrument (the targeted MIDI instrument in this particular song file is the Apple DLSMusicDevice AU device that is built-into (that comes with) Mac OS X).

The following occurs (with the Instr. MIDI Control Track DSP) in the song:

O The value of CC #6 ("Ctl [PB Amt]") is not initially sent. Therefore the Pitch Bend of the note (of Instrument 01) in Track 1 is lowered only 2 steps, and not the specified 6 steps.
O The value of CC #32 ("Bank LSB") is not initially sent. Therefore the note (of Instrument 02) in Track 2 is a piano note and not a drum set note.

However, if I (by unchecking and then checking the Instr. MIDI Control Track DSPs enablement checkbox) bypass and then enable the Instr. MIDI Control Track DSPs in each track, then those CC values are sent.

The reason that I'd like for Instr. MIDI Control Track DSPs to initially send CC values is so that I don't have to uncheck and then check the checkboxes in the Instr. MIDI Control Track DSPs in every track every time I open a song that I've made.

Edit:

Oops. I just noticed that, in the song that I attached, the Instr MIDI Control Track DSP in Track 1 is linked to the wrong Instrument (it's linked to (empty) Instrument 0 instead of to Instrument 1)

(Also, I initially forgot to attach the file when I first posted this message.)

Here's the fixed file.

Attached File  Instr MIDI Control Track DSP (fixed).xrns   5.24KB   7 downloads

Edit:

Typo Correction:

In some places in this message I referred to the Instr. MIDI Control Track DSPs in singular form where I should have referred to them in plural form. In the song there are a total of two instances of the Instr. MIDI Control Track DSP not, as I incorrectly expressed, a total of one instance of the Inst. MIDI Control Track DSP.

Edited by Dan, 28 April 2011 - 20:16.

#5 Dan

Dan

Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 22:48

Nevermind.

I withdraw this problem-report/feature-request.

I apologize for the trouble.

I just recently got a hardware synth on which I can (as taktik implied about, in his refering to MIDI devices) save the settings for each MIDI instrument part on the synth itself.

However:

I haven't used the synth with Renoise yet (because I don't have the synth and stuff setup yet), but I think that I will not have any problems with it with Renoise about this issue, but if I do I'll report about it.

Also, however, I think that maybe in the future it may be useful for what I requested on this report to be implemented - maybe also with adding an on/off button to the CC sliders in the Instr. MIDI Control Track DSPs in order to allow Renoise to not change the settings on the attached MIDI device. Just my two cents. I'm saying this just to hedge my bets about any problems that I may have with my synth and Renoise about this issue. However, right now, I don't forsee any problems that I may have with my synth and Renoise. Also, I'm saying this also because I think that this feature-request/problem-fix/program-behavior-implementation that I requested in this report may be a useful feature, in general, for users of Renoise (including, maybe, myself, in the future). For now, however, I drop the issue. Sorry for the long length and wordiness of this message. I just wanted to communicate my thoughts about this issue.

Again, I apologize for the trouble.

Dan

Edited by Dan, 10 May 2011 - 01:32.