55 replies to this topic

#26 Mandulin

Mandulin

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 23:34

can anyone point me in a good direction to make a phat-sounding synth like here @ 0:45?

Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs - Household Goods

do you want a fat sounding synth in general or one that has the exact same features like in the video?

here's something i whipped up real quick for example:
http://dl.dropbox.co...6/phat_bass.wav

it's basically some slightly detuned square waves in the low-mid range, passed through a flanger to make them wider, some compression and a small distortion to give them a harder edge. this will give you a fat sound. you need a really low sine wave to back it up tho.
for higher frequencies you could use anything like triangle, saw or messed up square waves.
boost the low and mid-high frequencies so it sounds thick on the low end and crisp in the middle.

i'm sure that a similar approach would work with professional synths where you have even more options to mess with the sound.
the one in the video has a certain Reese-y quality i think. maybe if you look for "reese bass" you'll have more luck. :)

#27 pleasuretrail

pleasuretrail

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:15

nice results on that mandulin!

are the wave-form samples being played together in the same track? same insrument? or seperately? really wanna get more into making my own synthsounds like that.
I always feel like shoplifting

#28 Mandulin

Mandulin

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:09

nice results on that mandulin!

are the wave-form samples being played together in the same track? same insrument? or seperately? really wanna get more into making my own synthsounds like that.

yes, you play them together but not in the same track. in this case i seperated it into "sine | square1 square2 | triangle" so i could apply some effects individually. i guess you could put them in one instrument if you like, i don't think it matters sound-wise.

#29 TiLT

TiLT

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 13:28

How do you make cold dark chilling pads like in this tune for example. Its in the beginning of the tune but the ending is very clear.

I believe that particular sound is from Spectrasonics Atmosphere, which is now available as part of Spectrasonic Omnisphere (a library that every serious musician should own. Seriously. It's that good, and it's cheap as hell for what you get). Can't help you recreate it, but you should at least find either that exact sound or something very, very similar there.

#30 engine

engine

Guruh Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts
  • Interests:killing threads.

Posted 14 December 2011 - 19:28

Good thick dubstep snares (think Nero, Skrillex) -- starting point, effects chain?
Oh and while we're at it, gigantic huge grinding Transformers-eque dubstep basslines :)

twisted tools ensembles (reaktor)

or their samplepacks

http://twistedtools.com/

#31 Rpnz

Rpnz

Big Masta Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 21:00

:unsure:

do you want a fat sounding synth in general or one that has the exact same features like in the video?

here's something i whipped up real quick for example:
http://dl.dropbox.co...6/phat_bass.wav

it's basically some slightly detuned square waves in the low-mid range, passed through a flanger to make them wider, some compression and a small distortion to give them a harder edge. this will give you a fat sound. you need a really low sine wave to back it up tho.
for higher frequencies you could use anything like triangle, saw or messed up square waves.
boost the low and mid-high frequencies so it sounds thick on the low end and crisp in the middle.

i'm sure that a similar approach would work with professional synths where you have even more options to mess with the sound.
the one in the video has a certain Reese-y quality i think. maybe if you look for "reese bass" you'll have more luck. :)

thanks for the info mate..

mostly.. when i'm making tracks.. I have the biggest problem making the bass sound fat enough..

like this one:

http://soundcloud.com/bob-houblon/killin-da-sound-rough-needs

i like the whole arrangement.. the build up.. but then @ 2:08 anticlimax-bass :(
House Music All Night Long. - Say What?

#32 td6d

td6d

Guruh Motha Fakka is Levitating and Knows Everything About Renoise Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1422 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 00:17

That one is easy to solve. Just put a sinewave at the bottom end, kicks the hell out of everything ;)

- God have mercy on your hipster soul. -

#33 WaffleFace

WaffleFace

• Normal Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 20:59

Hey guys. New to the forum here. Was wondering if anyone had any idea how to achieve this effect:

I know he uses a Source Audio Hot Hand Wireless Adapter system and a Soundblox Bass Envelope Filter. I don't have either, but my Wiimote and the Wiinstrument app work just as well.
I found this tutorial, but I have no idea how to emulate this in Renoise.

#34 GASHWORTH

GASHWORTH

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Student
    Avid Tracker <3

Posted 23 December 2011 - 19:29

Heres a sound ive always been curious about!
Radioacitive Man - Uranium

Its the bass sound that kicks in around 1 min 17 sec's!

Edited by GASHWORTH, 23 December 2011 - 19:30.

#35 endonyx

endonyx

Chief Above Chief Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • Interests:all forms of original / hi-energy / agressive music!

Posted 02 January 2012 - 21:43

well that sounds like a synched fm basspreset going through a very short delay well piled on and abit crusher behind it

Edited by endonyx, 02 January 2012 - 21:44.

#36 Ozego

Ozego

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:Hip Hop, Dub, Rare Grooves, Library Music

Posted 23 February 2012 - 17:01

Please please please. These sounds: http://www.simplynoise.com/
/or
Is there a VST that generates white, pink or brown noise on top of the input signal.

/Edit
mda TestTone is good.

Edited by Gooze, 23 February 2012 - 22:38.

#37 crazya02

crazya02

Big Masta Member

• Normal Members
  • 592 posts
  • Interests:Game dev, Game playing, Music dev, Music playing

Posted 24 February 2012 - 16:32

How do you achieve something like the bass in this track?

sig.gif<p>Processor: AMD A10-7850K Radeon R7, 12 Compute Cores 4C+8G 3.70 GHz RAM: 16.0 GB OS: Windows 10

#38 RawShock

RawShock

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 19:12

The glitchy shit at 4:42

Edited by RawShock, 28 February 2012 - 19:13.

#39 rehashed

rehashed

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:08

I've heard a bass sound like this in a lot of tracks and I want to have it too! Anyone have an xrni or a specific vsti factory (or custom) preset they can point to?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFK_S5ZyGN0

#40 Djeroek

Djeroek

Probably More God or Borg Than Human Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6761 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:12

The glitchy shit at 4:42

timestretch (artifact) I think, try messing around with some (quality) settings in timestretch software/apps on the original snare sound and you'll get close.

#41 drut_ums@yahoo.com

drut_ums@yahoo.com

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Interests:music, knives, electronics, alternative medicine(a little), conspiracy theories, mind.

Posted 05 April 2012 - 14:19

So, how about the guitar stabs like in 4:45 or 4:52? I really got myself in this western-style music. I borrowed a guitar but I can't figure out which effects to use to make it sound like that. I bet that for a guitarist out there it's no big deal. Thanks!

#42 00.1

• Normal Members
  • 1352 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 14:49

So, how about the guitar stabs like in 4:45 or 4:52? I really got myself in this western-style music. I borrowed a guitar but I can't figure out which effects to use to make it sound like that. I bet that for a guitarist out there it's no big deal. Thanks!

Both from a historical and signal flow point of view, research old western film classics and surf music. Notable composer of western films Ennio Morricone and on a different note, influences by Chet Atkins.

With that said.. a basic signal flow for a western sound, not including scales:

Gretsch pickups > Fuzz > Spring Reverb.

Some random examples from one of my guitar heroes.

youtube: Gretsch Knotty Pine Western Roundup

youtube: Gretsch Electromatic Double Jet

Edited by 00.1, 09 May 2012 - 17:20.

Windows 10
Toshiba Satellite L875D
AMD A8-4500M APU with Radon™ HD Graphics 1.90 Ghz
6.00 GB RAM
64bit Operating System, x64-based processor

#43 drut_ums@yahoo.com

drut_ums@yahoo.com

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Interests:music, knives, electronics, alternative medicine(a little), conspiracy theories, mind.

Posted 05 April 2012 - 14:55

Ok thanks a lot man, but what exactly is fuzz? Is it distortion + high pass filter? Unfortunately I don't have any guitar fx, and I would like to know how to emulate it in renoise or other software.

#44 00.1

• Normal Members
  • 1352 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 15:08

Ok thanks a lot man, but what exactly is fuzz? Is it distortion + high pass filter? Unfortunately I don't have any guitar fx, and I would like to know how to emulate it in renoise or other software.

My memory is a bit rough on my fuzz researches but basically you want to excite odd harmonics and it will most likely look like a square wave.

Because of this, most fuzz effects aren't friendly with complex chords, best with solo's and power chords instead.

Software wise, there is a free fuzz pedal vst by Audio Damage

I know of only one spring reverb vst but it requires an iLok, but you can use the native chorus but for a vibrato effect instead which is also well suited for that western sound.

Fuzz vs Overdrive

Edited by 00.1, 09 May 2012 - 17:46.

Windows 10
Toshiba Satellite L875D
6.00 GB RAM

#45 drut_ums@yahoo.com

drut_ums@yahoo.com

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 15:25

Thanks for very detailed answer, I got that sound real fast. THX!

#46 00.1

• Normal Members
  • 1352 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 17:45

Vietkong asked me about "Clint Eastwood Scales".

Which scales are used in those tunes?

Short answer: Slap on a spanish or pentatonic scale with some galloping type rhythms, and call it a day.

Long answer: Don't worry about scales too much.

Spaghetti Westerns were for the most part a Hollywood Mythos creation and some of it were heavily inspired by Japanese Samurai films.
I don't know if the music used in those Spaghetti Western's have credible historical value.

I think cowboys were probably too busy trying to survive, so music was probably a bit of luxury,
however, if some of that luxury was to be part of their lives, then my guess is it would have to be a handed down thing..

like a family heirloom, some sort of acoustic instrument, culture and scales attached.
Immigration and convergence of people in The Old Wild West might have helped evolve its definitive sound.

With that said, the composers and musicians that rose to prominence representing the genre sort of speak were classically trained.
I'd like to think that there is some sort of respect in their decision making to capture the essence of The Old Wild West or at least the stories being told in the films.

So when I say, don't worry about scales too much, what I mean is..
it is much better to be inspired by the drive and core action of human beings, the musical result is usually more universal that way, in my humble opinion.

By the way Clint Eastwood is Old West Action (anagram).

Additional thread from another site: Why do western soundtracks sound "western"? , notable post#19

Windows 10
Toshiba Satellite L875D
6.00 GB RAM

#47 drut_ums@yahoo.com

drut_ums@yahoo.com

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:52

Ok thanks it gave me lot to think about. I knew that many western movies have almost exactly the same stories like samurai movies, only transposed to the wild west world.. The anagram :w00t: , I wasn't aware of it :).

Thanks for helping with researching about it, I couldn't find anything useful by myself, because tag "western" along with "music" reffers just to eurpean music mostly I guess.

I'm just about to combine complextro/hard electro with electric giutar riffs like in "crime and the city solution's" Six Bells Chime, but it still didn't sounded western-like. Gonna post it in song forum when it's done.

Thanks again 00.1!

Edited by Vietkong, 10 May 2012 - 11:03.

#48 SoerGL

SoerGL

• Normal Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:07

im in love with this song,

and i realy like the sound of the intro. i tried to recreate that introsound a while ago with the operator in ableton live (3years) and was quiet satisfied - but i cant remenber how i did it. something with freq-modulation i guess.

would be cool if anyone can help me how to make it with the onboard effects in renoise!

#49 AntiLock

AntiLock

• Normal Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 00:17

im in love with this song,

and i realy like the sound of the intro. i tried to recreate that introsound a while ago with the operator in ableton live (3years) and was quiet satisfied - but i cant remenber how i did it. something with freq-modulation i guess.

would be cool if anyone can help me how to make it with the onboard effects in renoise!

Here is an example of how you can get pretty close to the sound in the song with just native renoise effects.

http://www.mediafire...xohcjy1adwm75f8

Its not exact, but hopefully it helps a bit.

#50 Rpnz

Rpnz

Big Masta Member

• Normal Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:54

can anyone help me out on makin' this minimal Julio Bashmore basssynth..?:

I'm talking bout this kinda synth:

(1.16)

(0.16)

I'm having trouble creating the punch in it.. (the kick-kinda sound in the synth)

Edited by Roppenzo, 06 June 2012 - 09:57.

House Music All Night Long. - Say What?