More than two custom VST directories

it’s really great to see a 64-bit version that also features 64-bit rewire

one immediate confusion/problem i have is this:

after installing 2.8b1, from the Preferences i can scan two of the (x86) VST plugins folders i have

however, the x64 plugins are located in other folders than the 32-bit ones

but renoise only allows for scanning two folders

so how can i get it to scan both the x86 and x64 plugins when they’re located in more than two different folders?

is reinstalling/moving all 32-bit vst’s to one single folder the only solution?

Unfortunately yes. Unless you know how to simlink multiple folders into two folders (and i don’t know if that will even work). There is information on the internet how to do real symlinking in Windows (dark force tip) but i think this has no real value in this case.

why not just add more possible folders for vst?

i guess because taktik has hardcoded the two folders into renoise’s core engine?

so increasing the number of vst folders beyond two will cause a renoise meltdown

it would probably require a complete rewrite of the entire renoise code ;)

seriously though, i hope this issue will be addressed in a future version for practical reasons, since the current limitation in this area really require people to re-install all of their wanted 32-bit and 64-bit plugins to two fixed locations

Mainly because this is totally arbitrary. How many is the right amount? How many is enough? One person will find that they only need 1 or 2 folders, while another person might want 7 or 8.

Is 3 enough? Why 3? Why not 4? Etc. It’s simply tough to find a common ground here.

Speaking about my personal set up, I simply install all of my VSTs to one location: C:\Users\Kieran\VST\

Within that folder I have everything organised with a sub-folder for each plugin manufacturer, and sub-folders within those for each plugin/product.

No matter what audio software I’m using, I can easily point them all to that same single location and it just works.

I’m not even using the second VST path in Renoise, but it’s available there if I do ever need it for something.

Everyone’s set up is different, though. Like I said, it’s simply tough to find a common ground.

but if everyone’s setup is different, then why not act on that conclusion and rather have 8 different locations than 2?

i mean, what would be the difference here?

if anybody wouldn’t use more than one, that user wouldn’t be forced to fill out the remaining locations right?

is this more of a coding issue, something that is simply too time-demanding to alter, rather than a design issue done on purpose?

I’m also quite happy with two locations (/System/Library/Audio/Plugins and ~/Library/Audio/Plugins) but if people really need more – given the 32/64 it issue I can see an argument for it – then adding $PATH-style separator support would do it without the need for more fields in the prefs (i.e. support something like “/System/Library/Audio/Plugins;~/Library/Audio/Plugins;/Some/Arbitrary/Path”).

some plugins won’t let me install them in the same folder when installing 32 / 64 bit versions… so the need for a couple more folderentries is quite welcome.

I have a 64-bit path and a 32-bit path and that is how i use those two path lines.
Before that i never used the secondary path-line.

Here is why you need more folders if you have 64 bit windows:
If the plugin is 64bit, it is beeing saved under Program Files folder.
If the plugin is 32bit, it is beeing saved under Program Files (x86) folder.
If it is a old vst, it is beeing saved in vstplugins folder.
If it is a new vst, is beeing saved in VST folder.

So there you have 4 folders with vst’s when you install with automatic settings.

As for VSTs on Windows, you can always move them to wherever you want. Those are just DLL files, nothing more than that. So you basically only need one place to store all your VSTs. Just move the files to wherever you want.

Also note that the default Program Files location isn’t ideal for some plugins because it’s not user-writable without admin permissions (which would mean that VST would have to run with admin privileges). This applies to any plugins that want to write a file to wherever it is installed. That’s another reason for you to move the plugins to another location. You can always change the permissions for the VST folder in Program Files, but those permissions are set up like that for a reason, and I think it’s safer to just move it to a user folder.

Not true. Most will ask you where you want them to go and you have missed out a very common install location too. Namely /Steinberg/vstplugins

Thing is to be careful you install all in the same place if you can.

That is not true for many paid for plugins! These rely on an installer and registry entries to prove you have bought your licence and thus the .dll can not be moved on a whim! Normally you just have to be careful to select the right location on install but some plugins seem to like to make this as hard as possible…

No, still 2 are enough here : you point path 1 to c:\program files\Steinberg and path 2 to c:\program files(x86)\Steinberg.
No need to configure where your old and new plugins are.
Whatever isn’t a plugin, renoise will not list it anyway, so whatever other DLLs are installed in the steinberg folders won’t necessarily interfere.
Also Installation paths are suggestions you don’t have to follow. I can only advise to review installation folders carefully before just blindly accepting them. Also for your own organisation a bit better.

On Windows Vista or 7 symbolic links can be used to link several plugin paths into one, without moving the real directories. This unfortunately is not really easy to do, but if you know what you are doing, you can do something like:

• start a cmd terminal as administrator
  • create a new VST directory where all others should go into: for example “mkdir D:\VSTs”
  • link the first VST dir into the new directory: “mklink /D D:\VSTs\Bla D:\PATH_TO_YOUR_EXISTING_VST_DIR”
  • link other VST dirs into the new directory: “mklink /D D:\VSTs\Blup D:\ANOTHER_PATH_TO_YOUR_EXISTING_VST_DIR”

Setting “D:\VSTs” in Renoise will then scan all directories you’ve linked there.

And once again. WARNING: DO NOT TRY TO DO THIS IF YOU DON’T KNOW WHAT EXACTLY YOU ARE DOING.

To make this easier, we could allow regular folder shortcuts from the explorer -> right click a folder, drag -> “Create Shortcut” in Renoise too. Then you don’t have to fumble around with the terminal and stuff.

But even with regular shortcuts this is far from being an obvious thing.

He is refering to the fact where one can easily “delete” a symlink folder and then accidentally deleting more than desired.
That is the reason why symlinks are not public assets on Windows.

Hi,

sorry for opening this old topic again, but I need more than two paths too. If you ask about ideal number - would it be a serious problem to have something like a “+” button to add an another path? It could be comfusing for someone since he could try to select an extra path for every plugin, but still better solutions than 2 paths only. The second way is, as .xrns said, just make some more. As he said, nobody is forced to use them all, right? :slight_smile:

And my reason for that? Well, I used to use only one folder just like others. Then I was forced to create second folder on another disc because of space. But this doesn’t really matter, the main problem is, that now I’ve got a plugin which was so rude he hasn’t allowed me to choose the instalation path. These things just happen and I can’t do a much with that. And no, I can’t simply move the folder.

I used to think that more than two folders are not necessary, but in fact it would be very helpful in some cases. Especialy when you are using paid plugins.

So just think about it again please :).

Thanks

//Blue

HI

I for example have 4 directories for VST and VSTi - on 3 differ HD so - the best way in my opinion is use + ADD PATH … and I am waiting for new renoise :slight_smile:

It seems a little absurd to discuss this topic.Put 4 or 5 directories in the preferences of Renoise. 4 or 5 a decent amount to satisfy the majority of composers.The number of directories is optional. If you want to use only one, use only one.2 directories is a low value. Double or triple the value and no one will complain.

In my case, for example, I use several SSD drives to store large VSTi libraries.The units are not large capacity. I need more directories. 2 is too little, 5-6 is already an acceptable value. 10 seems excessive, you must be more orderly.

Another option is a variable value of directories. Add the directories you want, without limit.I doubt that any user on the planet will use more than 10 directories, but do not set limits, that the user does what he wants.

IMO, 5-6 directories is enough for nobody protest…

• 1 directory: is a joke!
  • 2 directories: isminimum, low,insufficient
  • 5-6 directories: is a reasonable, acceptable number
  • 10 or >10: is excessive. Is necessary that the composer to be more orderly.
  • Variable: every user who does what he needs (use “add directory” button, without limits…)

I like Raul’s suggestion, makes sense. Having only two VST dirs in Renoise makes things quite difficult for me. I think everyone can agree it is technically possible to configure a system such that 2 dirs is sufficient. However, why impose this burden on every Renoise user?

As much as I love Renoise, it is not the only software I use that uses VST plugins, and I don’t like to use all of the same VST plugins in all of the various apps. Therefore, it is quite convenient for me to divide my plugins into various categories, and point each app to the collection of categories of VSTs that are interesting for that app.

In my case 5-6 directories would be about right, but even 3 would solve the problem I’m currently facing, which is similar that of the original poster:

• I just updated Renoise to 64-bit, have been using only 32-bit for a long time

• I have good reason to store my 32-bit plugins in 2 folders

• I do not want to mix 32-bit and 64-bit VSTs in same folder/subfolders (maybe Renoise can handle this, but it is problematic for other software)

• I am left with no way to point Renoise to my 64-bit VST plugins

Like Raul, I’m surprised this is even a discussion point. Just add more VST plugin dirs, please.

Thanks,

Matt

I like Raul’s suggestion, makes sense. Having only two VST dirs in Renoise makes things quite difficult for me. I think everyone can agree it is technically possible to configure a system such that 2 dirs is sufficient. However, why impose this burden on every Renoise user?

As much as I love Renoise, it is not the only software I use that uses VST plugins, and I don’t like to use all of the same VST plugins in all of the various apps. Therefore, it is quite convenient for me to divide my plugins into various categories, and point each app to the collection of categories of VSTs that are interesting for that app.

In my case 5-6 directories would be about right, but even 3 would solve the problem I’m currently facing, which is similar that of the original poster:

• I just updated Renoise to 64-bit, have been using only 32-bit for a long time

• I have good reason to store my 32-bit plugins in 2 folders

• I do not want to mix 32-bit and 64-bit VSTs in same folder/subfolders (maybe Renoise can handle this, but it is problematic for other software)

• I am left with no way to point Renoise to my 64-bit VST plugins

Like Raul, I’m surprised this is even a discussion point. Just add more VST plugin dirs, please.

Thanks,

Matt

This subject is a matter of 6 years ago, and I suppose it has already been dealt with earlier. If currently it has not been changed, I doubt very much that Taktik decides to change it.When he returns, he will find hundreds of user suggestions, and the vast majority will be ignored.In this last year I have read a lot of Renoise forums with suggestions or problems that still have no solution.Meanwhile, Taktik is in another distant project, and there are still users who complain when someone asks for an update.In short, there is no support. Do not wait for Taktik to look around again. He is busy with other things.

Do not be surprised if in the next update this issue is ignored again, unfortunately…

By the way, summer is coming. Do not expect much movement around here!