Your ASIO Latency

I wonder how many users out there get very low latency. good if you can post some of your hardware too.

mine goes:

XP1700+ o/c 1800+
1Gb DDR266
SB Audigy SE w/KX 3536 drivers
80Gb Maxtor ATA133
Geforce4 MX440 (53.03, Cleartype enabled, 32bpp, 1280x960@75hz)

Windows XP + SP2b

currently doing 21ms comfortably.

On a sample rate of 96kHz and a buffer size of 128 samples I get a latency of ~1ms. On a sample rate of 44.1 kHz and a buffer size of 256 samples I get a latency of ~5ms.

AMD Athlon XP 1800+
Asus A7V333 Raid
M-Audio Delta Audiophile 24/96
1280 DDRam 333Mhz
Running Win XP with latest service packs.

AMD Athlon XP 1800+
256 MB DDR
SBLive! 1024 Value on Kx Drivers
latency - 21 ms but on my most CPU-eating songs it starts to ‘click’.

Pentium 4 @ 2.20 Ghz
768 Mb Ram
Win XP Pro w/latest SP’s
GeFore 3 Ti-200
M-Audio Firewire 410

Using ASIO support @ 96.000 Hz and 128 Buffersize i get down to 3 ms and no audible click or pops. I haven’t tried it with any VST-plugs or instruments yet though, just some of my old modules and that’s fine by me :).
Using the same values but changeing samplerate to 44.100 Hz gets me up to some 5 ms.
CPU Usage at these values is up at around 8% on a 32 channel .XM.

Pentium 4 @ 2.6 Ghz
512 Mb Ram
Win XP Pro w/latest SP’s
GeForce 2
ESI Waveterminal 192M

ASIO @ 44.1kHz produces 46 ms even though I’ve put much work in finding out what’s wrong (cause it should go much lower than this). I can go down to 23 ms but not when CPU reaches ~50% … then it starts to click.

quite a few people getting 20-25ms latency… anyone not satisfied with that? i can’t get it lower myself actually… but i personally find that range pretty acceptable.

it depends mostly on the soundcard.

I had a p3 733 and got 60ms, now I have a P4 3000 and still having 23ms…

the fastest amateur soundcard seems to be M-Audio Delta.

I got a Terratec EWX

pentium 4 @ 1,5 Ghz
256 rdr ram
Win XP pro (tweaked)
Geforce 3 Ti200
Creamware Luna II
Asio Latency: 13 Ms - 512 buffersize @44.1 khz

Pentium 4 @ 2.8 Ghz / 533 FSB
M-Audio Audiophile 2496
1,5GB DDR Ram (corsair cmx cl2, pc3200)
ATI Raden 9700 Pro 128MB
Gigabyte 8inxp (E7205 granite bay)
Win 2K (sp4)

Asio latency: 8 Ms @ 44.1 Khz

P4 2,6 Ghz
1 gb DDR dual channel
Gigabyte 8I875 ultra, chipset INTEL 875P
Soundblaster Audigy 2 Platinum (my weak point…)

latency:05 ms

Btw, to calculate minimum latency you can have:

Latency= Audio buffer size/Sample rate

Ex: Audio buffer size=128, sample rate= 44.1Khz --> latency= 128/44.1= 2.902 ms

I was scared I could not reach low latency with my simple duron 1200+.
But I have a Terrattec EWS 88MT And it works flawless under 4 ms.
I have set the sample rate to 48 and the sample buffer 128.

11 ms here (thought I had 22 and voted that tho :)), but I can’t imagine I’d need anything less. 44100 with 256 buffersize.

AMD Athlon XP 2800+
1.5 GB Ram
Asus A7N8X
Delta 44 soundcard (soon to get company by a Delta 1010)

amd 2,7 with soundblaster live and kx-drivers, this gives me 23 ms. I cant use the 11 ms or it will crackle, but I have no problem at all with 23.

IT: … if i looking at other soundcard-latencies i think the EWX sucks a little bit … the performance isn’t so good, isn’t it?!

i have the EWX too … but at the moment with more than 14 pro VSTi’s instances in one song i can only work with 60ms … on a P4 2400mhz … maybe it’s normal with this number of VSTi’s … and a CPUload of 70-80%

don’t know … maybe a M-Audio card is better??? don’t know … ;) <_<

Audiophile 2496 is very good and cheap soundcard, I’ll buy it as soon as possible (don’t have 1200€ to buy a Power Pulsar… <_< :( )

edit by It-Alien:
removed guest post and assigned to the actual author

This might be a lame question, but I don’t get the hype. As long as the CPU load stays below ~50%, I’m getting no crackles at 5 ms in Directsound mode when with ASIO, crackles appear @ 23 ms so I can only work @ 46 ms (Athlon 1,7+, 768MB RAM, Abit KR7A mobo, SBLive! @ 44100).

What makes ASIO better? Is there any reason why DirectSound mode should be avoided? Is DirectSound performance better just in my case?

–P/\ULiE PHONiCK

EWX is an old soundcard, you can’t expect that great things from it.

Its major weakness, anyway, is the drivers: M-Audio souncards are not that different but have better drivers.

I’m not changing this soundcard only because I hate wasting things that work, but an accident can always occur, as misteriously happened in november to my P3 733… <_< :rolleyes: :)

Are you using VST stuff?
well… either if you use them or not, you’re using ASIO on a SB card, so probably with KX drivers. Soundcards with native ASIO support give better performances, expecially at higher CPU usages (VST usage)

@IT-Alien … ok … maybe you are right … old but not bad - like me LOL … but the sound-quality of the EWX is always great …

Mostly. I use the built-in effects here and there, but I hardly ever use Renoise’s builtin sampleplayer.

I’ve tried KX and ASIO4ALL lately, but the results were worse than DirectSound mode, especially at high CPU loads. At 90% CPU load playback without crackles was impossible in ASIO mode when in DirectSound mode it still managed to run without problems (with latency of 200 ms, but still). I think you’re right - it’s the lack of native ASIO support makes the difference.

–P/\ULiE PHONiCK

you have just about the same setup as me. i work @48kHz and that is the recommended frequency for ASIO in creative soundcards.

you might just need a little tweaking to get your system running at around 20+ms in ASIO. the KR7A mobo is extremely versatile - so tweak via the softmenu and memory settings.

and with the original creative drivers - i get better latency in directsound too. wots up with creative cards…

<_<