100 replies to this topic

#76 drakmaniso

drakmaniso

Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 18:39

Thanks for all the nice comments! If anyone has suggestions to improve the tool or add new features, don't hesitate to ask.

#77 martyfmelb

martyfmelb

Big Masta Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:13

Up to 256 harmonics (which is probably a bit overkill).

You mean it's a bit awesome – this thing now capably replaces a number of my favourite warezed VSTi's samplepacks. Here's a fact: I ran into a limit with "only" 256 harmonics -- the instrument noticeably runs out of harmonics at about C-2 ;-)

Still, you get choirs (play with the 'circle' setting), basses, supersaws, disco leads, harpsichord-like electro leads, all kinds of fun.

EDIT:
Suggestions:
- Make unison operate in realtime without re-rendering the samples -- as far as I can see, all it needs to do is check that the original sample is duplicated N times and then play with their fine-tunes.
- Extend the above point to all applicable settings
- Allow step to max out completely to the full note range -- for generated samples with self-similar harmonic series (i.e. saw, square, etc), you don't really need too many "in-betweener" samples to capture the full character of the sound.
- For placement = harmonic, a more visibly-disabled state for the dials would improve usability -- perhaps even hide them entirely.

Edited by martyfmelb, 30 April 2012 - 12:20.

soundcloud : traxinspace
os win7 / directx11 skin aero default mobo asus m4a 89td pro / usb3 cpu amd phenom ii x6 1055T @ 2.8ghz + mem 8gb 1333mhz ... I think
video ati radeon hd 6900 under catalyst sound onboard realtek under asio4all, audiobox usb
storage local seagate sata 250gb as c:\ external seagate ide 1tb as l:\
utils 7 taskbar tweaker, hoekey hotkey manager, launchy, strokeit mouse gestures, nexus dockbar, winsplit revolution window organiser

#78 Cas

Cas

Guruh Motha Fakka is Levitating and Knows Everything About Renoise Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1719 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 15:19

I see from tools like this that I have yet to learn a lot.
one thing is for sure, your method of saving instrument settings is fackn cool :D

music: SoundCloud drumkits: WizzKit no. 01 (thread), 02 (thread), 03 (thread), 04
tutorials: Beat Creators, Drum Synthesis examples
tools: download@box, info@blog, fork@git, discuss@forum

BCF2000, LP S, MPK, nPad2, nKtrl2, NI KA6, Vortex, SP-404SX

Renoise, NI Reaktor

#79 drakmaniso

drakmaniso

Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 20:37

- Make unison operate in realtime without re-rendering the samples -- as far as I can see, all it needs to do is check that the original sample is duplicated N times and then play with their fine-tunes.
- Extend the above point to all applicable settings
- Allow step to max out completely to the full note range -- for generated samples with self-similar harmonic series (i.e. saw, square, etc), you don't really need too many "in-betweener" samples to capture the full character of the sound.
- For placement = harmonic, a more visibly-disabled state for the dials would improve usability -- perhaps even hide them entirely.

Thanks for the suggestions. The unison generation is a bit more complicated than duplication (each voice has a slightly different sample), so with my current method I can't make the number of voices update in real-time. It's on the to-do list for the two other settings.

As for the disabled state, unfortunately there's not much I can do. Hiding the dials messes with the layout, and the disabled effect is handled by Renoise. I agree it should be more obvious.

I hope I'll find some time soon to update the tool.

your method of saving instrument settings is fackn cool

And that's why I think Lua is really the perfect language for in-app scripting: it's really easy to do this kind of thing, and a lot of functionality can be provided just by using the language itself.

#80 ballacr75

ballacr75

Local Chief Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Interests:Music, boomerang, lego, airplane RC.
    http://www.acadballa.com

Posted 17 August 2012 - 16:39

Wow.. wonderful tool! Can you make another one that generate percussion drum sonds, like bass drum, snare, hi hats, tom tom...
Thanks Emanuele (from Cremona, Italy)
my web: www.acadballa.com
|Emanuele Ballasina|ballacr75|www.acadballa.com|Renoise 3.0.0|Reason 7.1|Yamaha Motif ES 6|plg150an|dx|vl|Yamaha FS1r|Access Virus TI|Kurzweil PC3 61|Nord Stage 2 HA88|Mutable Instruments Shruthi1|Cremona|Italy|

#81 drakmaniso

drakmaniso

Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:27

Thanks. Zeitgeber already suggested I do a drum generator like the old MDA DrumSynth, and that's definitely something I would like to do. Unfortunately I don't have any time right now to code new scripts, not even update my previous ones.Hopefully this will change soon.

#82 esaruoho

esaruoho

• Normal Members
  • 2531 posts
  • Interests:// Free Energy // Cymatics // Sound visualization // Sustainable energy production // Apple devices // Tesla Motors //

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:21

i'm seeing a ton of versions, will you be making an official version anytime soon, so it'll be on tools.renoise.com, please?

| lackluster Website | lackluster on bandcamp | lackluster on facebooklackluster on soundcloud | esaruoho on twitter |

esaruoho@gmail.comesaruoho on reddit | esaruoho on ello | 

| OS X 10.11 El Capitan | Mac Book Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo / 8GB 1067 MHz DDR3 |

| Latent Impulse Tracker/Scream Tracker 3/Schism Tracker <-> Renoise fanatic |

More API functions, please! ;)

#83 afta8

afta8

Big Super GrandMasta Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 19:03

i'm seeing a ton of versions, will you be making an official version anytime soon, so it'll be on tools.renoise.com, please?

It is on the tools page: http://www.renoise.com/tools/padsynth :)

#84 Skolskoly

Skolskoly

Chief Above Chief Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Interests:Music, Video games, computers, coding

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:07

I think it would be incredibly cool to be able to write your functions for generating a spectrum. If they could be combined, added and subtracted like the saw and triangle, etc, frequency tables you have provided, it could be incredibly powerful, and save a lot of time.

#85 DrFreq

DrFreq

• Normal Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:40

great tool, nothing to complain, thanks

#86 Carbonthief

Carbonthief

• Normal Members
  • 1074 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:13

I was a real noob the first time I used this tool, and had no idea what I was doing. I've learned a ton about synthesis and electronic music over the past year and I just checked this tool out again and it just blew me away, this so cool!

#87 Carbonthief

Carbonthief

• Normal Members
  • 1074 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 21:18

Just wanted to say, that this tool is amazing and I use it for like 90% of my sounds, and I hope it will be updated for R3 eventually.
  • Djeroek, afta8 and f+d+k like this

#88 drakmaniso

drakmaniso

Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 23:19

I hope it will be updated for R3 eventually.

Yes, I intend to update it (and my other tool MorphSynth), though I'm not sure when I'll find the time. I haven't looked at the API changes yet, so I don't know how much work is needed.
  • Conner_Bw, Djeroek, afta8 and 3 others like this

#89 Carbonthief

Carbonthief

• Normal Members
  • 1074 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 00:11

woot! Awesome, I like morphsynth alot too. But padsynth just really clicked for me. You can get so many different complex timbres out of it, that make perfect ingredients for making whatever instruments.

#90 4Tey

4Tey

Chief Above Chief Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 09:48

Carbonthief: I'm not sure if you know this already but you can kind of use PadSynth in r3. Change the API version number from 3 to 4 in the manifest.xml file (line 5) then reinstall the tool in r3. But that may only get you part of the way. I find that sometimes to get PadSynth to generate a pad sample you have to create a blank sample in the instrument first. It may be a bit hit and miss (until drakmaniso looks at it further), but it may be worth a try if you use it a lot :)
  • Djeroek, shorty, ReverendEntity and 1 other like this

#91 Carbonthief

Carbonthief

• Normal Members
  • 1074 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 21:38

Hey that worked, thanks!

#92 Raphael

Raphael

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 16:23

I didn't know this tool. This is really really good, can't wait for the day Padsynth and Morphsynth will be on R3. The 4Tey trick (changing manifest.xml) didn't work for me, maybe I'm doing something wrong? worked for me on linux. Not in osx :huh:

Edited by Raphael, 07 December 2014 - 23:47.

• ReverendEntity likes this

#93 dblue

dblue

Dodgy Geezer

• Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5595 posts
  • Interests:Code. Music. Graphics.

Posted 03 January 2015 - 12:21

I haven't looked at the API changes yet, so I don't know how much work is needed.

In Manifest.xml you must upgrade the ApiVersion to 4

In PadSynth.lua, in your PadSynth:create_sample() function, you have the following bit of code (on line 553 in the version I have):

self.instrument:insert_sample_mapping (renoise.Instrument.LAYER_NOTE_ON, sample_index, note, range)
The insert_sample_mapping() function is now gone from API v4, so PadSynth will fail here after creating the first sample.

You can replace that line of code with this instead:
local sample_mapping = self.instrument:sample(sample_index).sample_mapping
sample_mapping.layer = renoise.Instrument.LAYER_NOTE_ON
sample_mapping.base_note = note
sample_mapping.note_range = range
Admittedly, I haven't fully explored everything that's possible in PadSynth, but the changes above will at least get the tool to load and create the note ranges correctly.

Loving the sounds this thing makes :)

Edit: 4Tey posted a few more modifications below...
  • Djeroek likes this

#94 Carbonthief

Carbonthief

• Normal Members
  • 1074 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 21:38

It works but the only problem is when you generate a test note you have to manually mute the sample that shows the harmonic spread.

edit: Of course as a work around you can just generate a small sample to test, and just not have that particular feature.

Edited by Carbonthief, 03 January 2015 - 21:43.

#95 4Tey

4Tey

Chief Above Chief Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 17:21

Following on from dblues patch...

There are two other lines that contain dropped function calls from the previous Renoise API.  Around lines 34 and 694 of the PadSynth.lua file you will see something like:

self.instrument:delete_sample_mapping_at (renoise.Instrument.LAYER_NOTE_ON, 1)

I've commented those function calls out for the moment.

I've added at lines 754-756 of the PadSynth.lua file setting the parameter sample inaudible (-INF volume).  However you can happily comment that out if you prefer to always hear the parameter sample along with the genereated pad (clicks and all ;) )

Finally a little tiny hack of mine.  I've added at line 53 a reassignment of the self.instrument variable to make sure that this is really pointing to an initialised instrument and sample set as the function PadSynth::generate_samples naturally assumes this :)

[Edit:  Drakmaniso has posted his update below.... :) ]

Edited by 4Tey, 14 August 2015 - 12:00.

• dblue, Ozego, tL One and 2 others like this

#96 Ozego

Ozego

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:Hip Hop, Dub, Rare Grooves, Library Music

Posted 07 March 2015 - 18:46

Seriously; I can't thank you guys enough for updating this wonderful tool. I've been using the xrni instruments I made with this tool since 2013. I can't wait to use it again to create those ethereal out of this world pads that no other synth seems to be able to recreate.

Much much much love

#97 ••H∑X∑R••

••H∑X∑R••

Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Interests:sonic driving/entrainment, trance states, music and imagery, additive and modal rhythm, synthesis, sound design, permaculture, hand percussion, capoeira angola

Posted 27 May 2015 - 12:41

God damn, I love this community.

Thank you, thank you!

This synth is sweet! :w00t:

dark psychedelic sludge music

#98 ffx

ffx

• Normal Members
  • 2899 posts
  • Interests:Renoise sidechaining, macOS fanboying

Posted 01 August 2015 - 13:32

Following on from dblues patch...

There are two other lines that contain dropped function calls from the previous Renoise API.  Around lines 34 and 694 of the PadSynth.lua file you will see something like:

self.instrument:delete_sample_mapping_at (renoise.Instrument.LAYER_NOTE_ON, 1)

I've commented those function calls out for the moment.

I've added at lines 754-756 of the PadSynth.lua file setting the parameter sample inaudible (-INF volume).  However you can happily comment that out if you prefer to always hear the parameter sample along with the genereated pad (clicks and all ;) )

Finally a little tiny hack of mine.  I've added at line 53 a reassignment of the self.instrument variable to make sure that this is really pointing to an initialised instrument and sample set as the function PadSynth::generate_samples naturally assumes this :)

Nice stuff,

guys can you update the tools page?

MacOS 10.12.6 Retina, Renoise 3.1 64 bit   -   Tuned Shortcuts | Multi-Jump From/To Send | Quick Template | Insert Native DSP Menu (incl. deprecated)

#99 drakmaniso

drakmaniso

Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 10:29

Here's the long overdue update to support Renoise 3...

Attached File  org.drakmaniso.Padsynth_Rns300_v1.1.xrnx   22.62KB   63 downloads

For now it's a simple update to support the API changes (thanks to dblue and 4tey for pointing in the right direction); it should be completely compatible with the previous version. In a later version I'll add basic support for the new modulation and FX chains (i.e. a way to select which chain you want for the generated sample).

I also want to apologize for my lack of response to everyone that contacted me. I had some trouble coping with "real-life" issues.

I set up a public git repository, for convenience:

https://github.com/drakmaniso/PadSynth

I'll try to update my two other tools in the following weeks.

• Djeroek, ffx and 4Tey like this

#100 drakmaniso

drakmaniso

Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 17:17

Here's the update for Renoise 3.1:

Attached File  org.drakmaniso.Padsynth_Rns310_v1.2.xrnx   23.66KB   64 downloads

I also added support for some of the new instrument features: you can select the modulation set and device chain that will be associated with the generated samples. You can also set the interpolation and oversampling mode.

Finally, I fixed a bug introduced in the previous version, that prevented loading an existing instrument (I'm surprised no one reported this one! ^ ^).

• dblue, ffx, f+d+k and 3 others like this