• Please log in to reply
346 replies to this topic

#51 jobro

jobro

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:38

I have to give it to ya: This looks rather dope! For real! It's just sad that I don't have an external synth to test it out with. But to those who have, I hope you guys have a creative time!

#52 fluence

fluence

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:08

Hey!

yeah I managed to make a start using your documentation from this thread :)

Thanks for the reply. Will post the one for alpha juno this week.

Yo

Just saw this post in the old JX Programmer thread:

So, here's what you do with guru:

Check this excellent page: http://www.vintagesy...oland/sysex.php

According to the page, the synths Roland Alpha Juno 1, Alpha Juno 2 and MKS-50 uses the same, so, here's an untested start for this:

return SynthDefinition {
  name = "Roland Alpha Juno 1, Alpha Juno 2 and MKS-50",
  author = "You [you@yourdomain.com]",
  Section {
    sysex_message_start = {0x41, 0x36, 0x00, 0x23, 0x20, 0x01},
    Group {
      name = "DCO",
      Parameter {
        id = "dco_waveform_pulse",
        name = "Pulse waveform",
        number = 3,
        default_value = 1,
        items = {"OFF","1","2","3"}
      }
    },
    Group {
      name = "VCF",
        Parameter {
        id = "vcf_cutoff",
        name = "Cutoff",
        number = 10,
        default_value = 100
      }
    }
  }
}

I might dig in to this soon if noone else does...

CB

#53 Cornbeast

Cornbeast

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:30

Hey!

yeah I managed to make a start using your documentation from this thread :)

Thanks for the reply. Will post the one for alpha juno this week.

Yo!

Yo! I did juno 1/2 last night! Just didnt have the time to upload! Will do tonite + a new version of guru with nicer UI!

CB

#54 Cornbeast

Cornbeast

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 20:41

New version V0.14!

Now with support for Juno 1/2 and MKS-50. Still not tested since I don't have anyone of those synths, so please try it out.

• Reworked the layout, all the columns are adjusted to the same height, some groups are made higher and blind plates are added.
  • Added new synth definition: Roland Alpha Juno 1, Juno 2 and MKS-50 (untested)
  • Added new section to documentation; "Split it into parts using variables"
See first post in thread

CB

#55 esaruoho

esaruoho

Guruh Motha Fakka is Levitating and Knows Everything About Renoise Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2521 posts
  • Interests:// Free Energy // Cymatics // Sound visualization // Sustainable energy production // Apple devices // Tesla Motors //

Posted 12 April 2012 - 21:09

Now with support for Juno 1/2 and MKS-50. Still not tested since I don't have anyone of those synths, so please try it out.

hi.
okay, is it possible to set VCA to 127 by default? (i see everything is at 0 by default). just a thought.

having not really used guru before, im wondering: i closed the guru gui and re-opened it (by selecting alphajuno1/alphajuno2/mks50, and it just started from scratch.(thankfully not actually resetting the patch on the synth, but just losing the gui settings.)

but as far as things go, this is definitely good enough for me for juno2 business! great job!

(edit) altho, cutoff tends to not work always. weird.
(edit2) something really wonky about the cutoff. the rest seem to work pretty neat. cutoff doesn't feel like cutoff at all
(edit3) it's really hard for me to say what Cutoff actually does currently, because i cannot seem to recognize it as any other possible parameter being modified instead of cutoff. it's real weird. but, one thing is for certain: cutoff is not cutoff :)

Edited by esaruoho, 12 April 2012 - 21:25.

| lackluster Website | lackluster on bandcamp | lackluster on facebooklackluster on soundcloud | esaruoho on twitter |

esaruoho@gmail.comesaruoho on reddit | esaruoho on ello | 

| OS X 10.11 El Capitan | Mac Book Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo / 8GB 1067 MHz DDR3 |

| Latent Impulse Tracker/Scream Tracker 3/Schism Tracker <-> Renoise fanatic |

More API functions, please! ;)

#56 Cornbeast

Cornbeast

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 21:42

okay, is it possible to set VCA to 127 by default? (i see everything is at 0 by default). just a thought.

having not really used guru before, im wondering: i closed the guru gui and re-opened it (by selecting alphajuno1/alphajuno2/mks50, and it just started from scratch.(thankfully not actually resetting the patch on the synth, but just losing the gui settings.)

Yes, forgot to mention, the inital values suck! I have made a nice1 for JX-8P which I have, but I need to make one for juno as well, with your help.

Perhaps you could edit a neutral but good patch, save as XML and send me? Make sure you press "send all" to get all the parameters in the synth to match what you are saving with Guru. Ignore the cutoff for now, but let me know a good value to set for it as well.

(edit) altho, cutoff tends to not work always. weird.
(edit2) something really wonky about the cutoff. the rest seem to work pretty neat. cutoff doesn't feel like cutoff at all
(edit3) it's really hard for me to say what Cutoff actually does currently, because i cannot seem to recognize it as any other possible parameter being modified instead of cutoff. it's real weird. but, one thing is for certain: cutoff is not cutoff :)

Haha, yeah, got it mixed up. You were editing DCO PWM rate (and DCO PWM rate was editing DCO PWM depth). Fix will come.

Later
CB

#57 esaruoho

esaruoho

• Normal Members
  • 2521 posts
  • Interests:// Free Energy // Cymatics // Sound visualization // Sustainable energy production // Apple devices // Tesla Motors //

Posted 12 April 2012 - 22:11

Perhaps you could edit a neutral but good patch, save as XML and send me? Make sure you press "send all" to get all the parameters in the synth to match what you are saving with Guru. Ignore the cutoff for now, but let me know a good value to set for it as well.

by send all, do you mean do a sysex midi dump from the aj2 once the patch is ready?

| lackluster Website | lackluster on bandcamp | lackluster on facebooklackluster on soundcloud | esaruoho on twitter |

esaruoho@gmail.comesaruoho on reddit | esaruoho on ello | 

| OS X 10.11 El Capitan | Mac Book Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo / 8GB 1067 MHz DDR3 |

| Latent Impulse Tracker/Scream Tracker 3/Schism Tracker <-> Renoise fanatic |

More API functions, please! ;)

#58 Cornbeast

Cornbeast

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:08

by send all, do you mean do a sysex midi dump from the aj2 once the patch is ready?

Sorry, I meant the "Resend" button in Guru, and then adjust the sound with Guru to make a patch.

Currently Guru does not read midi from the synths, but that's planned as a future feature.

#59 Cornbeast

Cornbeast

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 19:01

New version V0.15

Fixed some flaws in the juno definition + fixed and improved a some things I stumbled upon when I played around with it.

* The synth instance is reused, and the patch preserved, when synth dialog is closed and opened again
* Fixed some errors in Juno 1/2/MKS-50 definition + created better (still untested) preset
* Restored adding of midi mappings that has been broken for some time
* Scan for synth definitions when guru is started the first time and there are no synths in the preferences

(The latest version is in the initial post of the thread...)

Edited by Cornbeast, 15 April 2012 - 19:02.

#60 hotelsinus

hotelsinus

Big Daddy Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  • Interests:Sound Design music Sound Creatin and how they born.

Posted 17 April 2012 - 19:17

kool
screen size problem,
i found one screen problem,
see the atached images, how can i resize the guru window? or it is fixed size?
the groups are automaticly move horizontal when not enough place... i think this is not good
Renoise.jpg

Guru - def.jpg

what can i do with the empty space or how can i resize Guru Window?

Edited by hotelsinus, 17 April 2012 - 19:18.

#61 Cornbeast

Cornbeast

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 22:12

kool
screen size problem,
i found one screen problem,
see the atached images, how can i resize the guru window? or it is fixed size?
the groups are automaticly move horizontal when not enough place... i think this is not good

what can i do with the empty space or how can i resize Guru Window?

Cool

Yeah, window is fixed size, the boxes fill the columns and are moved to the next column when don't fit.

That's how I solved it. But any feedback is appreciated if you have a suggestion for how I could solve it.

I can make the window a bit higher, that would make things better for you, but I guess there will allways be cases when you don't get the exact layout you want. That's the price of simplicity.

Another option would be to add ability to specify height in the synth definition.

CB

#62 dby

dby

Big Super GrandMasta Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 22:15

Another option would be to add ability to specify height in the synth definition.

+1
  • Djeroek and hotelsinus like this

#63 Dan P

Dan P

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:19

really like the look of this tool (and also want to +1 this thread). Will be attempting a Korg DW8000 definition....

#64 Cornbeast

Cornbeast

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:21

really like the look of this tool (and also want to +1 this thread). Will be attempting a Korg DW8000 definition....

Thanks! Cool.

A new release on the way, maybe tonight, with among other things possibility to specify the height, and a dropdown gui element for parameters with many items.
  • esaruoho likes this

#65 Cornbeast

Cornbeast

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 21:16

New version: V0.16!

• Entering letters to value boxes no longer cause errors
  • Dropped support for JX-10 since it seems to lack support for editing of parameters via sysex
  • Implemented gui_type = "dropdown"
  • Improved MKS-70 and JX-8P definition, added patch section (still under construction)
  • Iproved Juno patch with dropdowns
  • Implemented parameter.min_value (needed for mks-70 def)
  • Updated documentation

#66 Pysj

Pysj

• Renoise Team
  • 2225 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 21:22

Hey CB!

Really love what you have put into improving this tool. Great work!

About the jx-10, there is an unofficial firmware upgrade to it that will add sysex support:
http://www.colinfraser.com/jx10/jx.htm

Gonna test the new Guru version now.
Keep up the great work!
-pysj

#67 Cornbeast

Cornbeast

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 21:29

Hey CB!

Really love what you have put into improving this tool. Great work!

About the jx-10, there is an unofficial firmware upgrade to it that will add sysex support:
http://www.colinfraser.com/jx10/jx.htm

Gonna test the new Guru version now.
Keep up the great work!

Thanks! :-)

Yeah I saw that, but you know, I don't own one, and I don't want to be the JX-10 support hotline, so I won't claim to support it :-)

#68 hotelsinus

hotelsinus

Big Daddy Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  • Interests:Sound Design music Sound Creatin and how they born.

Posted 19 April 2012 - 15:17

custom size would be awesome, right.

#69 Cornbeast

Cornbeast

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 16:29

custom size would be awesome, right.

Latest version has custom height

#70 Dan P

Dan P

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 21:07

Here's my Korg DW8000 definition:

Posted Image

Cornbeast has done some really good work with this software, once I'd worked out that every line needed a comma at the end of it, the whole thing became really easy to do. I'd suggest using his idea of local groups, I followed the alpha juno 1 mks50 definition, and edited it as necessary, and then with the list of local groups you can reorder the sections really easily.

Editing the Korg from directly within Renoise = dream come true!

Thanks Cornbeast!

Attached Files

• hotelsinus and Legendary Taunt like this

#71 Cornbeast

Cornbeast

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 22:16

Here's my Korg DW8000 definition:

Cornbeast has done some really good work with this software, once I'd worked out that every line needed a comma at the end of it, the whole thing became really easy to do. I'd suggest using his idea of local groups, I followed the alpha juno 1 mks50 definition, and edited it as necessary, and then with the list of local groups you can reorder the sections really easily.

Editing the Korg from directly within Renoise = dream come true!

Niice! :-D

#72 Djeroek

Djeroek

Probably More God or Borg Than Human Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6684 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 23:14

n00b question, don't use hardware myself so can't test, but do these gui's also distribute the parameters to the automation editor?

+

Does pressing ctrl+m light up the tool gui sliders etc, so you can map stuff to other controllers?

#73 Pysj

Pysj

• Renoise Team
  • 2225 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 23:32

Nice one Dan P!

I have the rack version, the Ex-8000. I had to change the second sysex_message_start from 0x31 to 0x30. The manual did not tell me right away why that was needed...
Works great anyhow.
-pysj

#74 Cornbeast

Cornbeast

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:13

n00b question, don't use hardware myself so can't test, but do these gui's also distribute the parameters to the automation editor?

+

Does pressing ctrl+m light up the tool gui sliders etc, so you can map stuff to other controllers?

All params support midi mapping (thats ctrl m right?)

I dont know about automation, have not looked into it, but if it's possible to do with scripting that is the intention for sure (can someone shed light on this?)

CB

#75 Dan P

Dan P

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:02

Cornbeast,
Any chance of being able to download a patch direct from the synth, and/or have the Guru gui snap to the current values rather than everything being zeroed?
Thanks again
  • hotelsinus likes this