New Tool (2.8): Scale Mapper

This tool lets you retune a Renoise instrument to a custom scale that you can define.

Download it here: http://www.renoise.com/tools/scale-mapper

New in Version 2.2:
Scale preset feature with 42 built in presets.
Base note feature, play chords in D Major, E minor or whatever scale and key combination you want.
Quick set feature for Octave, Chord key and Chord Octave. Set all 12 notes with one click.
GUI tweaks

New in Version 2:
+/-2 Octave Shift and add a Chord note that is always in key!

It works by creating a unique Keyzone for each note across all 10 octaves. Each Keyzone is then tuned according to the scale specified in the tool GUI.
For version 2 it adds another keyzone per note that is tuned according to the ‘Chord Note’ and ‘Chord Octave’ settings resulting in the creation of correctly tuned Chords.

The tool will operate on the currently selected instrument and will replace any existing Keyzones with up to 240 custom ‘scaled’ Keyzones.

Ideas, bug reports and suggestions on how to code it better are always welcome.

Planned features for future releases:

• Chords created as a new sample to allow you to detune pan and set different loop points or even choose a different sound.
    - Presets for Mapped Note, Octave Shift, Chord Note and Chord Octave to allow for quick editing.
  • Global presets for all settings with the ability to save and delete user presets.
  • Save settings in the instrument for future recall and editing.

A big thanks to esaruoho for helping with the initial idea and getting me started, and also to vV, It-Alien and kazakore for programming help when I got stuck.

SWEET! Now when I use my qwerty as a keytar for epic wank-off solos I dont have to worry about hitting off key notes and just concentrate on mashing those keys. Im sure there are much more intelligent uses for this, but damn, Im g :w00t: :panic: oing to have fun!

Awesome! Would be cool to have a similiar force to scale device for midi input too… Or at least an option similiar to the transpose ones in the pattern right click option menu.

First thing I did after making it :yeah:

That was the initial idea (Realtime Midi Processing - Is It Possible)
However I don’t think its possible with the current API, I can’t find any functions that would allow this, if you could then you could use this tool to control VSTi’s as well.

If you want to change recorded pattern data then there are already tools out there that will do this, this one for example: Transposer | Renoise

Cheers

cool idea… checking that out later :)

man, thanks for taking the time to develop this tool. the only thing that comes to my mind is, i’d like to be able to map the notes so that for instance D#1 could be A2… so one would have +1/-1 octave control of the basenote. i think this would enable some unexpected, and pretty rich possibilities. what do you think?

p.s. i absolutely love being able to translate my “tracker mannerism” methods of playing the pc keyboard, into some completely new types of notes and chords. everything feels so refreshing again.
mad props.

The octave shift seems like a good idea and it shouldn’t be to difficult to implement either, I’ll have a go this weekend.

Version 2 uploaded and submitted to the tools page: http://www.renoise.com/tools/scale-mapper

New features added:

Octave Shift: Transpose mapped keys +/- 2 Octaves
Chord Note: Add another note to each key (+1 to +12) that is also locked to a Scale, allows for a range of Chords to be created that are always in key!
Chord Octave: Transpose added Chord note +/- 2 Octaves

Planned features for the next release are:

• Chords created as a new sample to allow you to detune pan and set different loop points or even choose a different sound.
  • Presets for Mapped Note, Octave Shift, Chord Note and Chord Octave to allow for quick editing.
  • Global presets for all settings with the ability to save and delete user presets.
  • Save settings in the instrument for future recall and editing.

I would appreciate any feedback and feature suggestions from those that use it.

Cheers :D

no feedback yet on this version, just wanted to thank you, had great fun with earlier version

there is something really awesome about being able to mash in key in realtime …

-edit-

… for those that cant by them selves

Version 2.2 just uploaded and available here: http://www.renoise.com/tools/scale-mapper

New in version 2.2:

• Scale preset feature with 42 built in presets.
  • Base note feature, play chords in D Major, E minor or whatever scale and key combination you want.
  • Quick set feature for Octave, Chord key and Chord Octave. Set all 12 notes with one click.
  • GUI tweaks

Have fun!

Thanks for the feedback, its much appreciated :)

Just got around installing this one, great fun! Am looking for a tool which will also include the loading of .tun or .scl files for microtuning scales, is this on a to-do/future feature list?

I’m not sure, maybe I’m mistaken but to do microtuning you would need to be able to fine tune key zones in Renoise, which I don’t think it can do.

sweet update! makes it pretty powerful, happy mash

This looks like a fantastic and very useful tool. I appreciate your work on this.

I am quite embarrassed to say, I feel like I’m missing something simple when using it. I’ve installed the tool, and just chosen a random scale to try it out. I press Map It, and then play some notes on my keyboard. However, it’s still a normal chromatic scale. I’m sure I’m just looking over some small detail in your post, but if you could point out what I’m missing, I’d be grateful.

When you select a preset say ‘D Major’ do the notes in the ‘map to:’ row change?

Have you tried setting all the notes tp just C to see if that works?

Tried that out and it’s still a chromatic scale. I’ve tried on my Mac and my PC, as well. I’m running the latest release of Renoise, although it is the 64-bit version. Might that be the issue?

That is strange! Are you definitely using it on sample based instruments? The tool won’t work on midi or VST instruments.

It could also be a 64 bit issue. I only use the 32 bit version to develop and test it. I am travelling around at the moment but I will try and test it on the 64 bit version when I get back home tommorow, so please bear with me.

sup fathand.i’m only shooting from the hip here, but it just occurred to me, that if you do not toggle the samples off from “sync mode”, no amount of tuning will do anything. so do a little thing before copying the sample, like this:

renoise.song().selected_sample.beat_sync_enabled=false

Thanks dude, I hadn’t thought of that I’ll put it into the next version.