• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

#1 Douglas Carmichael

Douglas Carmichael

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:56

I tested the Renoise demo on a Retina MacBook Pro at a local Apple Store, and it displayed the Renoise interface properly (I was able to use it), but in a too-large window.

Is there a fix coming for these machines?

Attached Images

• Renoise_Retina_Bug.jpg

#2 Dunks

Dunks

Chief Above Chief Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:41

I don't know but with a resolution like that having the pattern editor and mixer side by side or above and below would be awesome, you could even have all the tabs on one window.

#3 Cas

Cas

Guruh Motha Fakka is Levitating and Knows Everything About Renoise Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1719 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:15

that looks funny

music: SoundCloud drumkits: WizzKit no. 01 (thread), 02 (thread), 03 (thread), 04
tutorials: Beat Creators, Drum Synthesis examples
tools: download@box, info@blog, fork@git, discuss@forum

BCF2000, LP S, MPK, nPad2, nKtrl2, NI KA6, Vortex, SP-404SX

Renoise, NI Reaktor

#4 KMaki

KMaki

Big Super Masta Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  • Interests:Survival (e.g. breathing). Small scale renoise-tool-coding. The Melvins. Absurdity of it all. Zen / Not-zen. Wifey&Kids.

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:53

I don't know but with a resolution like that having the pattern editor and mixer side by side or above and below would be awesome, you could even have all the tabs on one window.

With a resolution like that I have doubts about the usability of renoise GUI. You know, pixel-esthetics... What are the physical dimensions of a single pixel on that machine?
Renoise (2.6->) 2.8 / Mac mini 2010 - 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - 4 Gb 1067 MHz DDR3 / OS X 10.8 / M-Audio Fast Track USB

#5 It-Alien

It-Alien

Probably More God or Borg Than Human Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9593 posts
  • Interests:trackers, basketball, chess, tabletennis, programming, writing, drumming, burping

Posted 19 June 2012 - 13:13

yes, indeed. It would probably require a magnifying glass in order to use it. Probably Renoise should be used with bigger fonts (you can adjust them in the preferences) on these computers, but forget about using it with mixer and pattern editor visible at the same time: this is a laptop and so has not very big screen
my specs:
cpu:Intel Core2 Quad Q9550 (4x2.83Ghz, FSB 1333Mhz)
audio: M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 PCI

Unschemed, hypertechnical tracked music. Sounding different since 1993.

my latest song: Lavender Town Syndrome (11'33", Psychedelic Beast)

where to find more music by me: soundcloud , jamendo , last.fm , napodano.com , facebook

RTFM.gif

("Lavender Town Syndrome, 11'33" Psychedelic Beast)

#6 Dunks

Dunks

Chief Above Chief Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 13:58

On the iphone Retina screen is so sharp even the tiny fonts/icons are clear. I don't have a problem with this but I agree some people may need a magnifying glass.

#7 Rxn

Rxn

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 16:06

On the iphone Retina screen is so sharp even the tiny fonts/icons are clear. I don't have a problem with this but I agree some people may need a magnifying glass.

Seeing fonts/icons is one thing, having to constantly click it is a whole lot different story.
  • It-Alien likes this

#8 Dunks

Dunks

Chief Above Chief Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 22:22

Seeing fonts/icons is one thing, having to constantly click it is a whole lot different story.

I haven't tried it so I wouldn't know.

#9 xrxs

xrxs

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 22:25

If you increase the size of 72 dpi interface twice on retina (like scaling the bitmap x2 times in photoshop), you'll see almost the same result as on standart 72 dpi monitor. With a bit of aliasing artifacts, perhaps. But it can be amazing. Apple, i think, must provide the ability to specify resolution for your app.

I could be wrong though.

Edited by xrxs, 19 June 2012 - 22:26.

#10 vV

vV

God's or Borg's Chief and Ruler of All Species

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16855 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:46

I tested the Renoise demo on a Retina MacBook Pro at a local Apple Store, and it displayed the Renoise interface properly (I was able to use it), but in a too-large window.

Is there a fix coming for these machines?

Strangely, Renoise should be automatically adjusted to the desktopsize in fullscreen or pick its native window-size.

If you click on Help in Renoise and then select the "Open preference folder", you will find the Config.xml in there.
You can play with these settings in the top of the file:
<!--Window Metrics-->
  <WindowedMode>true</WindowedMode>
  <WindowedModePosition>429,48</WindowedModePosition>
  <WindowedModeSize>1491,838</WindowedModeSize>
  <WindowedModeIsMaximized>false</WindowedModeIsMaximized>
  <FullScreenMonitorMatchPos>960,540</FullScreenMonitorMatchPos>

Close Renoise first, then save the xml file after altering and then restart Renoise.
Does that allow you to do it anymore justice?
Vv....

cpu Intel Core i7-4820K @3.70GHz
chipset Intel X79 chipset
mem 32 Gb 2400Mhz
os Win 7 64-bit SP1, DirectX 11
audio ESI ESP1010e - > Driver rev:2.0.6.0
video nVidia Geforce GTX780 - > Driver rev:335.23

Renoise Official Manual

#11 ToyRobot

ToyRobot

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 15:28

Strangely, Renoise should be automatically adjusted to the desktopsize in fullscreen or pick its native window-size.

Close Renoise first, then save the xml file after altering and then restart Renoise.
Does that allow you to do it anymore justice?

Hi

I'm the lucky owner of one of these rather sexy pieces of hardware and I have had a play with the XML as per your suggestion vV. Unfortunately it seemed no matter what values I put in there there was still the issue of renoise being rendered at half the size as per Douglas' screenshot. this was both in fullscreen and windowed mode, and I tried all manner of different values (halving, doubling, setting them ridiculously high, etc)

I also found that the positions of the buttons seemed to be correct relative to the window size, so that they did not line up with the buttons in the render. This meant that to click the 'edit' menu I had to click in the window where the 'edit' menu *would* have been were it rendered at the correct size.

I believe that osx does some weird pixel doubling so that things fit on the screen which no doubt is something to do with this.

I would love to see a fix at some point soon if possible. I am a registered user so if I can be of any assistance testing on real hardware then I would be delighted to be able help.

#12 ToyRobot

ToyRobot

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 15:34

Excuse the double post, but another observation I have just made. when playing a track the top are of the screen doesn't seem to update properly, its as if because I have the disk browser open and taking up the top section that area is not being refreshed (makes sense) but this appears to be the size that you would expect it to be were it all being rendered at the correct size therefore stopping the tracker view from updating properly.

Difficult to explain. Let me know if you need me to do a video or something :)

#13 vV

vV

God's or Borg's Chief and Ruler of All Species

• 16855 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:16

Really then looks like a Retina specific scaling lock, don't know if that supposed to be considered a bug in Renoise or the Retina configuration. What does Apple offer for suggestions on these kind of issues?, i guess Renoise is not the only app showing this behavior then.
Vv....

cpu Intel Core i7-4820K @3.70GHz
chipset Intel X79 chipset
mem 32 Gb 2400Mhz
os Win 7 64-bit SP1, DirectX 11
audio ESI ESP1010e - > Driver rev:2.0.6.0
video nVidia Geforce GTX780 - > Driver rev:335.23

Renoise Official Manual

#14 ToyRobot

ToyRobot

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 20:49

Really then looks like a Retina specific scaling lock, don't know if that supposed to be considered a bug in Renoise or the Retina configuration. What does Apple offer for suggestions on these kind of issues?, i guess Renoise is not the only app showing this behavior then.

I have tried a fair few different apps and haven't seen anything else that reacts the same way yet. Most things are just literally pixel doubled and look a bit retro compared to the surrounding, updated apps. Examples are DOSBox, Twitter app, MAMP, 1password, Spotify, Steam, Transmission. I use sublime Text 2 a lot and that has been updated now but before the update it worked fine but the text was pixellated as you would expect.

As far as what apple suggests:
https://developer.ap...0012302-CH1-SW1

I guess "Controls and Other Window Elements Are Truncated or Show Up in Odd Places" covers it?

Edited by ToyRobot, 24 June 2012 - 01:21.

#15 taktik

taktik

Renoise Developer

• Admins
  • 15040 posts
  • Interests:füße waschen

Posted 24 June 2012 - 11:38

Will check this here. Have to get our hands on such a display first though, or find other ways to replicate this. The linked Apple developer docs already look very helpful. Thanks.

Does the 32 and 64bit Renoise version behave the same way here?

#16 ToyRobot

ToyRobot

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 15:59

Will check this here. Have to get our hands on such a display first though, or find other ways to replicate this. The linked Apple developer docs already look very helpful. Thanks.

Does the 32 and 64bit Renoise version behave the same way here?

Very good question! I have only tried the 32 bit, will try the 64 bit in a second and get back to you.

#17 ToyRobot

ToyRobot

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 16:11

Haha, well I totally didn't expect it but the 64 bit version *does* indeed display as expected and appears to work perfectly. Would be great if it had full retina support of course because it would look *gorgeous* ;)

Hope thats of some help for tracking the issue down :) And as I said before, if you need anything testing please let me know.

#18 taktik

taktik

Renoise Developer

• Admins
  • 15040 posts
  • Interests:füße waschen

Posted 27 June 2012 - 17:58

Found the problem and will fix this soon in a 2.8.1 bugfix update. Will also do a short private forum announced beta of 2.8.1 to test this and other issues carefully.
  • Conner_Bw, Djeroek, ToyRobot and 1 other like this

#19 ToyRobot

ToyRobot

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 22:05

Found the problem and will fix this soon in a 2.8.1 bugfix update. Will also do a short private forum announced beta of 2.8.1 to test this and other issues carefully.

Thanks taktik :)
  • Djeroek likes this

#20 Djeroek

Djeroek

Probably More God or Borg Than Human Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6792 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 01:54

:drummer: