New Tool (2.8): Mpe

MPE Musical Programming Environment (v3.7)

3308 Screen shot 2012-05-10 at 1.53.42 AM.png

Sample TRIM Screen
3307 Screen shot 2012-05-10 at 1.54.54 AM.png

Sample PROGRAM/INSTRUMENT Screen
3306 Screen shot 2012-05-10 at 1.55.07 AM.png

Download Tool

If you are familiar with the series of drum machine/samplers from AKAI, in particular the MPC2000XL then you know how much fun it can be to make sampled music!

When I discovered Renoise I couldn’t believe it! almost a substitute for my MPC! but, the interface is a little wide and has its own learning curve, nothing impossible just different. I wanted to control Renoise like I do my MPC. Quick access from one small set of buttons and the ability to create more or less bars quickly, erase a track or tap tempo to a track

I have combined a couple other tools (Show transport Stats & Tempo Tap) to create this, so a big thanks to the creators!

Just a little info regarding what an MPC is “From Wikipedia” …
Akai MPCs (originally MIDI Production Center, now Music Production Center) are a popular and well respected series of electronic musical instruments originally designed by Roger Linn and produced by the Japanese company Akai from 1988 onward.
MPC2000XL Operators Manual

Enjoy!
“SevenScientist”

1 Like

that looks amazingly cool. the first thing i wondered though: wouldn’t it be more logical to make this a config for Duplex?
(i am aware Duplex is still 2.6 and this is 2.7, but still?) or is there a big difference in configuration?

Some comments:

• Script has junk OSX files.

• Script installs as com.renoise.MPE.xrnx but com.renoise is reserved for Renoise team, you’ll need to change the manifest.

• When trying to install the attachement (OSX 10.6.7, Renoise 2.7.0) I get:

But, if I repackage it myself it works fine. Zip incompatibility? Taktik should look at this…

-=-=-

Pressing TR- I get:

*** std::logic_error: 'invalid selected_track index '0'. valid values are (1-10).'  
*** stack traceback:  
*** [C]: ?  
*** [C]: in function '__newindex'  
*** [string "do..."]:22: in function   
*** main.lua:627: in function <626><br>
<br>```

<br>
<br>
-=-=-<br>
<br>
And as for the script itself. Great stuff! Fun alternative interface to Renoise.</626>

am getting this as well, than when I drag the same script in Renoise again, it says the script is already installed, but I can’t seem to find it(?).

You must manually delete it, sort of a bug on Renoise side.

• Help → Show The Preferences Folder
  • Scripts → Tools
  • Delete com.renoise.MPE.xrnx (or manually fix things yourself)

The screenshot looks fantastic! :)

thanks for the info, I’ll wait to a working script appears on this page and overwrite :)

I had an empty com.renoise.MPE.xrnx folder in my Scripts dir after trying to install.

I suppose a bug report should be done about this.

Hi, uh, what happened, could someone post a functional version?

• removed link due to it being outdated -

[quote=“Syflom, post:10, topic:32580”]
being a smartass with this one.
Attachment 2068 not found.

thnks!

Got an error notice when trying to change the bpm value:

pressing f-level:

was pressing a bunch of buttons and:

Trying to select an instrument out of the actual amount of instruments in the list, gives me:

Selecting a sequence out of the actual range:

thanks jonas & syflom working on some more bug fixes here!

f.level is fixed

working on these valid values is tricky i think im supposed to get the last value in the table for it work? anyways still hacking away.

I believe I have removed all the bugs please double check and comment if you like.

download from first post.

is it possible to enable the instrument autofade button in 2.7 via scripting?

and is it possible to enable the envelope volume and fadeout vi scripting in LUA?

>>> oprint(renoise.song().instruments[1].samples[1])  
class: Sample  
 properties:  
 autoseek  
 autoseek_observable  
 base_note  
 base_note_observable  
 beat_sync_enabled  
 beat_sync_enabled_observable  
 beat_sync_lines  
 beat_sync_lines_observable  
 fine_tune  
 fine_tune_observable  
 interpolation_mode  
 interpolation_mode_observable  
 is_slice_alias  
 loop_end  
 loop_end_observable  
 loop_mode  
 loop_mode_observable  
 loop_release  
 loop_release_observable  
 loop_start  
 loop_start_observable  
 name  
 name_observable  
 new_note_action  
 new_note_action_observable  
 panning  
 panning_observable  
 sample_buffer  
 sample_buffer_observable  
 slice_markers  
 slice_markers_observable  
 transpose  
 transpose_observable  
 volume  
 volume_observable  
 methods:  
 __STRICT  
 clear  
 copy_from  
 delete_slice_marker  
 insert_slice_marker  
 move_slice_marker  

It doesn’t seem so…
An overlooked option?

The envelopes aren’t processable at all in Lua, never have been so far either.

any chance we can have autofade in the future version?

found a bug when increasing number of bars past number if pattern length lines (512) . Im also adding tool tips to most buttons. Next version coming very soon…

testing v2.

crashes if you’re in a pattern higher than it expects ie. 101 and then launch mpe
crash when i change on to off. what is this btw? put some more info there. it marks the track as off after it crashes.
crash if you delete some instruments then change to a high program number that it thinks is still there
crash if you delete some tracks then change to a high higher track number that it thinks is still there
giving the program a name doesn’t work
can’t set decimal bpm
setting decimal sq number crashes

you should know you can edit the first post in a thread and post the updated .xrnxs there.

fixed crashes if you’re in a pattern higher than it expects ie. 101 and then launch mpe
fixed crash when i change on to off. what is this btw? put some more info there. it marks the track as off after it crashes.
fixed crash if you delete some instruments then change to a high program number that it thinks is still there
fixed crash if you delete some tracks then change to a high higher track number that it thinks is still there
fixed step back and forward
fixed giving the program a name doesn’t work
limitation you can set the bpm but it will not display the decimal bpm in the tool
added update pgm to nearest instrument in selected track
added tooltips

Thankyou Syflom!

enjoy!
download from first post

I Just got this notifier error

to reproduce :
open renoise
create new song edit:
I had a template with only one empty instrument !!! if more then one everything is ok
start MPE
add Instrument (press + in instrument box) in renoise

error:
Failed in one of its notifiers.
The notifier will be disabled to prevent further errors

std::logic_error: "viewBuilder: invalid value for valuebox: ‘2’. value must be [1-1].’
stack traceback
[C]: ?
[C]: in function’__newindex’
[string “do…”]:22 in function <[string “do…”]:11>
main.lua:552: in function main.lua:552

it’s a great and fun tool thanks peace