Renoid

Hi all,
now I’m glad to introduce this new (and a little strange) contents called “Renoid”. :)

At the beginning of September, YAMAHA announced “VOCALOID Editor for Cubase”.
And I read a someone’s request somewhere like “I want to use this Editor in Renoise !!”. Of course, it was almost a joking though… ;)
But I thought of an another method to realize the virtual singer in Renoise.
This post is the first announcement about it.

Well, actually Renoid is not a new feature, it’s just a combination of existing functions of Renoise. Let me explain a bit.

• Renoid voice file is just a XRNI file which includes japanese HIRAGANA wav files (So currently, Renoid is quite japanese-oriented contents). This XRNI file is not for making melody, this is for “Words”.
    • Renoid needs pitch shifter VST like KeroVee, Pitchwheel, Auto-Tune, etc. It depends on such external plugin heavily.
      This is a weak point of this system. But if you are a Windows user, there is an excellent free VST “KeroVee”.
    • These pitch shifter VST can recognize MIDI note signal from another track. So, make a track for words and a track for melody separately.
    • Then insert the pitch shifter VST to the words-track, and send the melody midi signal from melody-track by using “VST FX Alias”.
    • The result is, you can listen to somewhat funny singing voice. It’s not very high quality like VOCALOID, but you can find some interesting uses, I hope.

Btw, about Renoid English version, unfortunately I cannot make such XRNI file since I’m poor at English. Even I cannot imagine how to make such English speaking XRNI :unsure: . But someone here may get interested in making it.
So I’ve made some YouTube movies which explain how-to use and how-to make Renoid voice file. Also I made demo song and Renoid starter pack too. These contents are made for japanese people mainly, but I prepared some captions for YouTube movies, so I hope it may help to understand Renoid system easily.

How-to use Renoid (with English caption)

[indent]

[/indent]

How-to make Renoid voice file (with English caption)

[indent]

[/indent]

Renoid starter pack

[indent]http://reg.s63.xrea.com/Renoid/Renoid_starter_pack_v11.zip[/indent]

And, Renoid homepage (includes all contents)

http://reg.s63.xrea.com/Renoid/

:excl: [1 attention]
Please remember that if you make a Renoid file by sampling from YAMAHA’s VOCALOID products, it is usable only for your personal use. It is not allowed to share it to another person, as XRNS or XRNI. So, I recommend to record your own or friend’s voice.

That’s all. Hope you enjoy Renoid!! :P

2 Likes

Cool thing. Also you may try the AquesTone vst. It’s free and as far as I reckon it works similiar.

Yes, nice work sato!

I don`t understand a word of Japanse, but some impressive demos there :)

thanks for sharing

Pretty impressive.

Hehe, thanks Guys!! :D

Yeah, AquesTone is the most “easy to use” japanese-voice synth, I think.
But there aren’t so many voice variations and each voice quality is not so good.
In this Denkitribe’s movie, he seems to use AquesTone as something like “Voice-ish synth”. It is not clear words that even I cannot understand as japanese. Of course, such use also interesting and Renoid XRNI is able to be used like so too.

Well, this is not my boast though ;) , Renoid’s voice files are better than AquesTone, at least about clearness. Renoid is inferior to VOCALOID though…Haha. But cpu load is light. :P

My very regretting about Renoid is that pitch-shifter VST which can be used similarly on three platforms does not exist. especially sorry for Linux user.

Cool a Japanese GlaDos emulator :P (Actually, these voices sound more like the sentry-bot voices)

いいな、nice work, this is excellent. I will try it later.

Edit: I tried it and I like two things-

Track groups make vocoder work easier too, and

The ability to make a realistic voice relies on how well you can use the pitch shifter. You can substitute any pitch shifter that lets you supply note data.

I think KeroVee has a place in other things I will do later and I will experiment with this more.

Actually, these voices in the demo songs are born from my voice. (using voice changer) :P

Ah yes, it’s almost vocoder indeed.

And I made more simple example movie how to use pitch shifter VST in Renoise. It’s not Renoid any more though… ;)
(I added simple english caption. And sorry, the volume of the movie was too lower maybe)

これは完全に素晴らしいです!ありがとうございました!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17997350/renoid-test.xrns

Needs KeroVee as in the demonstrations above. I put a compressor on the voice’s track to bring out sibilants, and an LFO points to KeroVee’s “Calibrate” to generate vibrato.

With more time spent, adjustments made to “speed” (portamento glide) and judicious use of dynamics and other effects can make this technique sound quite realistic.

どういたしまして(You’re welcome) :)

Oh oh, this vibrato sounds more nicer. I’d tried some Renoise commands before too, but your example is feeling best so far.
May I distribute this XRNS file as a vibrate tips on the Renoid homepage?

Yes, of course.

Also, with a pair of note columns, it should be possible to use sample slice and note cut commands to do the same Consonant/Vowel crossfades that VOCALOID and UTAU do. I will reply again as I find more time to experiment.

Thanks chunter. I made the vibrate tutorial movie using your song. (sleepy now)

Btw, I’ve edit effect command in your song a bit, since Calib parameter had better return to 440Hz always, I think. Anyway thanks a lot!
http://reg.s63.xrea.com/Renoid/Renoid_vibrate_tutorial.zip

Absolutely great work, Satobox!

The most known autotune-like-vocoder for Linux is Autotalent. At the time when I had been testing it, it ate my dual-core-CPU and wasn’t able to have “soft edges” between changing notes. But it really did a good job regarding the audio quality.

Another very good, monophonic autotuner I know is Zita-AT1. Unfortunately it can’t be loaded with configured settings from your song like a DSSI or LADSPA plugin would do. It’s a stand-alone tool, which needs JACK as a host. But it’s doing great on being controlled via MIDI and again the sound quality is very good.

(Another vocoder-plugin is VocProc. I never tested it because it’s an LV2-plugin and Renoise didn’t support it at the time I was looking for such tools.)

However, just wanted to mention at least the two tools that might help linux-users to benefit from your idea.

Best,

gilzad

Thank you for the precious information, Gilli. :)

It’s good news that there are some way to realize this geeky tips on Linux.
Actually I’m not using Ubuntu recently, but I’ll try to upgrade to the latest Ubuntu later and try these tools. B)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17997350/sdc69-bitftl-renoid-demo.xrns

Needs KeroVee like the others. This is an excerpt from my last SounDevotion entry with the other VSTs removed.

In this song, the mixing and crossing of phonemes can be seen in the two columns in the Modulator track. (Solo the track to hear its result, mute either column to get a better idea.) The two Carrier tracks drive separate KeroVee instances, so that one Renoid voice track drives either a doubled or harmonized voice. I put the KeroVee instances on separate effects send columns to make them easier to keep track of and EQ them differently to help with the illusion of separation.

I wasn’t trying for realism. ;)/>

Wow, this is how to use multiple melodies for Renoid that I never thought of.
Nice tune and nice trick!! (again B)/> )

Thank you! Renoid’s method is very flexible.

Inspired by the Chunter’s harmonized technique, I made a chorus song “Silent Night” in Japanese.
Well, since there are many noises, Renoid female voice files are not suitable for such a chorus song (especially using KeroVee), but the male voice files are unexpectedly sounding nicely. :)/>/>/>

Additionally, you can sing in your voice if you plug-in a Mic to your PC (Please see the second half of this movie).

The XRNI file is here. Enjoy. :P/>/>/>/>

Hey Satobox

I’ve just “translated” Renoid so that it’s able to sing in french language now.

I’ve first created a 2D matrix of 254 small vocal looped samples that are usable for saying most of the french words.

I’ve stacked the samples in a unique .xrni file and de-selected the VEL->VOL button.

Then I’ve modified a bit the main.LUA code of Wordpads for Renoid. I’ve added another table to handle the velocities.

local tbl_velo =  

{  

{  

{"7F","7F","7F","7F","7F","7F","7F","7F","7F","7F","7F","7F"},  

{"79","79","79","79","79","79","79","79","79","79","79","79","79"},  

{"73","73","73","73","73","73","73","73","73","73","73","73"},  

{"6D","6D","6D","6D","6D","6D","6D","6D","6D","6D","6D","6D","6D"},  

{"67","67","67","67","67","67","67","67","67","67","67","67","67"},  

{"61","61","61","61","61","61","61","61","61","61","61","61","61"},  

{"5B","5B","5B","5B","5B","5B","5B","5B","5B","5B","5B","5B"},  

{"55","55","55","55","55","55","55","55","55","55","55","55","55"},  

{"4F","4F","4F","4F","4F","4F","4F","4F","4F","4F","4F","4F","4F"},  

{"49","49","49","49","49","49","49","49","49","49","49","49","49"}  

},  

{  

{"43","43","43","43","43","43","43","43","43","43","43","43","43"},  

{"3D","3D","3D","3D","3D","3D","3D","3D","3D","3D","3D","3D","3D"},  

{"37","37","37","37","37","37","37","37","37","37","37","37","37"},  

{"31","31","31","31","31","31","31","31","31","31","31","31"},  

{"2B","2B","2B","2B","2B","2B","2B","2B","2B","2B","2B","2B"},  

{"25","25","25","25","25","25","25","25","25","25","25","25","25"},  

{"1F","1F","1F","1F","1F","1F","1F","1F","1F","1F","1F","1F","1F"},  

{"19","19","19","19","19","19","19","19","19","19","19","19","19"},  

{"13","13","13","13","13","13","13","13","13","13","13","13","13"},  

{"0D","0D","0D","0D","0D","0D","0D","0D","0D","0D","0D","0D","0D"},  

{""}  

},  

when you pass the velocity data to the note_it function, you add this line :

s.selected_note_column.volume_string = velo  

and in the end, the pad looks like that :

Then I’ve created a specific .xrnx package tool, because I don’t wanted to get any confusion between the japanese songs tool and the french songs tool.

To avoid confusions with tools and packages, I renamed the virtual singer to Frogoïd, because of frogs - everybody knows we here like’em.

First test with KeroVee, it seems to work properly :

[b]Interested to virtually sing in french ?

Okay, 3 things to download :[/b]
french sample library (.xrni) – ::: – words pad for frogoïd (.xrnx)– ::: – example with kerovee (.xrns)

Article reference link : http://www.refra.fr/portail/node/100

Have fun !