Scarlett 2i2 Sample Rate Problem

I just set up my new Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface. In Renoise, I am unable to set the sample rate to anything other than 41,000. If I try to do so the Focusrite control panel and/or Renoise freaks out. If I keep at it long enough, eventually Renoise will crash with a C++ error. I’m probably out of luck here as I am running Windows XP and I doubt anyone’s going to expend any energy debugging for this ancient platform.

But I thought I’d bring it up anyway. :slight_smile:

what’s the Renoise version #… What’s the Asio driver? Did you get the asio from Focusrite? Have you/are you and do you know about… lol… “Asio4all” You could always give that a shot

I’m using this with Renoise… http://asio4all.com/

It’s… “not the greatest driver,” but… whatever…

Oh… and btw… If my advice doesn’t help… I am sure, somebody will come along to help you soon… check here :slight_smile: The guys are still helping with win xp

Yes, I should have left a few more details:

Windows XP SP3 32-bit
4GB RAM
Renoise 2.8.1
Focusrite USB driver (ASIO) 2.4 (latest)

I had read that ASIO4All was not a “real” ASIO driver. Not sure what that means, but I downloaded and installed it anyway. Whether it’s real or not, I can now select sampling rates all the way up to 96,000 in Renoise and everything appears to still be running without emitting any smoke.

'course I don’t actually know what I’m doing in Renoise, but that’s another issue. :rolleyes:

Hey… I’m glad its working. :slight_smile:

You might find out? I sometimes have a glitch when I save, or remove a vst effect from a track… I used to use mac, before the world economy, “fell to shit,” and I could afford mac… so I know, Renoise does not behave like this… but, I sold that MBP long time ago, but still love music… so now, with a cheap audio card, and windows?? How to complain? Who to complain too?

LOL… maybe one day, I find an RME fireface that some idiot put in the trash can by mistake…

Cheers

:D :lol:

Frequency rates can usually only be changed in the ASIO driver configuration, Renoise only represents what frequency the driver is currently set to. (41Khz is however a pretty odd value, you sure you didn’t meanted 44.1Khz?)
If you have problems changing rates, try changing them in the ASIO configurations while Renoise (or any other DAW) is closed.
Some ASIO drivers don’t allow meddling while DAWs are accessing them. In most of those cases, the driver detects it is being used and does not allow you to change values until you close the DAW.
That DAWs crash because you make changes in the driver configuration is really a bad driver design in the first place, but once you know this, it is easy to work around those problems.
Just keep in mind that in most cases you cannot change specific configuration settings while any program is accessing the ASIO driver because it is a low-level hardware access utility.

Do you have any other apps working in background (like browser and anything that can use audio) ?

Yes, I did mean 44,100.

Unfortunately, the Scarlett 2i2 driver has a very simplistic UI as you can see in the image below. My only option is to change frequency rates within Renoise or whatever other DAW/application.

3690 focusrite.png

[quote=“Jon Heal, post:7, topic:37294”]
Yes, I did mean 44,100.

Unfortunately, the Scarlett 2i2 driver has a very simplistic UI as you can see in the image below. My only option is to change frequency rates within Renoise or whatever other DAW/application.

3690 focusrite.png

That pretty much sucks though.
1ms is quite a low buffer, i would suggest to put this one to 5ms at least. Not all systems have the power to record with 1msecs latency even mine doesn’t do it without choking.
Another tip that might work is trying to manually configure the sample-rate value in the renoise config.xml file before starting Renoise. (it could either be the direct value or a choice figure, where 1 stands for 44Khz and 2 for 48Khz etc.)

I have the same audio card, but i`m under Win7 x64.

Have nearly the same glitch, but i simply turn off all background apps that can require audio (browsers, players, etc), choose asio/scarlett in renoise, change frequency to 88khz (i prefer to work with 88) and press Reinitialize button two or three times and that works for me.

Hope that helps.

p.s. at 88khz my buffer settings is 6-7 ms and it`s totally fine.

Magically, the Focusrite control panel UI now shows an additional ASIO parameter:

3699 focusrite.png

And I managed to get it adjusted in Renoise. I’m not sure I’ve chosen the best sampling rate. Obviously, CDs are only 44,100, and that’s probably the sampling rate I would want for finished products. But anything higher, as I understand it, optimally should be an even multiple of the final rate, hence 88,200.

For many years I’ve been rendering 24 bit wavs @ 44100, and dithering to 16 bit.

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Recently, I’ve started rendering 32 bit wavs @ 96000, and dithering to 16 bit @ 44100. Also, I’ve upped the sample rate of my device to 48000.

The way I see this now is: Go ahead and distribute @ 16 bit and 44100. In studio if you want to work with something else, its per your choice. Although, you probably want to render those mixes at or above 24bit, and then dither to 16 at the end of your mastering process/chain. And obviously, “try not to dither twice.” For example, on my preferences, “dither,” is something I am turning off and on at will. Dither stays off during productions, and comes on when I master.

Interesting article about sample rates.

I am still fiddling with the Focusrite driver and I am still having trouble with it. I have come to the conclusion that it is a piece of crap. There’s no way a debug message like this should be passed on to the user:

3700 C++.png

At least I know where I can find the offending file on the developer’s computer!! I’ll admit that driver design is probably quite the intellectual exercise, but I do believe whoever is doing it for Focusrite is in over his/her/their head(s).

Why don’t you send them the link to this forum topic?
I think they will be very amused to read it :)
At least i was amused to read their site’s credo on one of their product advertisements: “25 years of experience”
Well, what did they learned all those 25 years then?

Well I picked up the Scarlett 2I2 last week dispite reading the issues in this topic.
I figured the setting the sample-rate is indeed a bit tricky,
but it’s fine when you don’t set the Scarlett as the default audio device in Windows.

Apart from this it really works flawless for me.

Since I posted originally, I have upgraded to Windows 7 and a somewhat faster computer and I have not noticed the problem since.

Digging this up, since this thread appeared on Google search like on the first spot…

My brother got himself a Scarlett 2i2 and I was actually considering getting one myself too after my old interface died a couple of weeks ago.

Not to sure though, if I still want it. He’s exactly running into the same problems with not being able to switch sample rates other than to 44khz in the ASIO driver and currently I have it hooked up to my rig and I’m having the exact same problems.

Both of us are using different OS, he’s using Windows 7 Pro 64bit and I’m using Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit.

In Renoise I’m also getting the same runtime error like mentioned earlier here but on rather random occasions. Atleast Renoise gives an error message, if the ASIO driver is not properly working. I tried that out in Audition and Harbal but both programs kept silently switching back to 44khz without notice.

Not sure what I could try else:

• Re-installing driver = been there

• Trying out multiple USB ports = been there

• Made sure that Scarlett isn’t the default audio device = done

• No, I’m not going to re-install my OS to test it on a fresh system. Really not willing to do so…

Search results elsewhere were not that great either.

On gearslutz I read, that the Scarlett may have problems with some USB controllers but really didn’t specify which. Other recommend to disable fast boot for windows. Last one I could still try out but I don’t really like the idea to have it disabled permanently.

Did perhaps anyone else manage to get this to work after all these years? If so, I’d really appreciate to know how.

Did perhaps anyone else manage to get this to work after all these years? If so, I’d really appreciate to know how.

I don’t encountered that runtime error with the 2.5.1 drivers on my Windows 8.1 machine. But I’m having a hard time when changing the sample rate sometimes.

I just clicked reinitialise and kept changing to the desired samplerate untill it magically works.

Now it stays on 9600. so I leave it alone now.

For some ASIO4ALL is the solution. It works. but I personally don’t want to use 3rd party drivers.