New Tool (2.8): Vector42

This is a very early version of this tool for testing and feedback, it allows you to fade between 4 different samples in realtime and to modulate these parameters using meta devices.

3696 Vector42 IMG.png

Basic usage…

Select any of the 4 buffers, set a waveform and modify it to taste. When a buffer is selected you can also use the sliders to modify the waveform. When ‘morph’ is selected you can lock any of the sample positions to any of the buffers by clicking the buttons below the sliders.

You can then use the XY Pad to fade/morph between the 4 samples. The slider below the XY Pad adjusts the balance between the samples on the X & Y axis, in effect you have 3 morphs going on - A&B and C&D and then between A&B and C&D, play with it and it will make sense.

These three fades can be modulated with meta devices, stick with a Hydra for now as I’ve only really tested it with this. Select the track and the device and the first parameter will be used as the modulation value. I recommend you use different devices for each axis.

It works fine for most samples, however if you get pops and clicks set the instrument interpolation to none.

As it works in realtime you will need to use Rewire or Jack to render the output if you are using the modulation. You can however just use the static samples and use it as a sample generator.

I think I have ironed out most bugs now but I would welcome any feedback, particularly on what the sound quality is like on other systems. Thanks

Really cool tool! It’s nice for making constantly morphing chip instruments. Who needs boring instruments that always sound the same?

Seems to work fine most of the time, though when I hook up an LFO to a Hydra controlling X or Y, I get this error:

main.lua:1113: attempt to index field ‘?’ (a nil value)
stack traceback:
main.lua:1113: in function ‘xy_mod’
main.lua:1126: in function main.lua:1125

Not sure why!

Nice tool!

Had a bug linking a key tracker meta device to a hydra’s input:

edit:

Still continuing setting up xy pad in hydra gives:

Clicking away this notice immediately gives:

Very nice tool! And great job on the UI, I found it easy to use.

Maybe you should add the tool to the contextual menu of the instrument list? Also it may be useful if it could coexist with other samples in the same instrument.

thanks! =D

Awesome tool!!

I stumbled upon this, easy to reproduce:

1. Open the tool dialog
  2. Move the fader below the XYPad all the way to the left
  3. Then move the fader toward the right side.

std::logic_error: 'ViewBuilder: invalid color value. values must be >= 0 and < 256.'  
stack traceback:  
 [C]: ?  
 [C]: in function '__newindex'  
 [string "do..."]:22: in function   
 main.lua:990: in function <946><br>
<br>```

</946>

Arggh bugs! some real head scratchers there!

Anyway thanks for the positive feedback and bug reports everyone.

Seems like changing/setting meta devices or changing their order throws up errors. For now please set up the meta devices before you assign them in the tool, or if you want to change them around un-assign them first by changing the dropdown in the tool to off. If the devices are created before they are assigned it seems to work ok. I will fix this in the next version.

Thanks, some great suggestions, the second one would make it play nicely with your morphsynth tool

[quote=“Djeroek, post:3, topic:37316”]
Awesome tool!!

I stumbled upon this, easy to reproduce:

1. Open the tool dialog
  2. Move the fader below the XYPad all the way to the left
  3. Then move the fader toward the right side.

std::logic_error: 'ViewBuilder: invalid color value. values must be >= 0 and < 256.'  
stack traceback:  
 [C]: ?  
 [C]: in function '__newindex'  
 [string "do..."]:22: in function   
 main.lua:990: in function <946><br>
<br>```

<br>[/quote]<br>
<br>
<br>
This one has me stumped, I can't replicate it at all.. What system did you try it on? Is anyone else getting this error?</946>

Renoise 2.8.1, WinXPsp3 -

It happens when calculating the blue component of the newcolor_a when the fader goes back to the exact middle position.
I tried wrapping the calculation in a math.min (255, …) statement and then it worked.

Cool, thanks, I’m running 2.8 on a Mac and it works fine, I will however do as you suggest. I didn’t think you would get cross platform issues with scripting? Maybe its a 2.8.1, issue, I’ll stop being lazy and upgrade!

FYI :slight_smile: , trying this blast from the past in 3.1 upon auto-upgrade I get this bug notice;

'C:\Users\pluge\AppData\Roaming\Renoise\V3.1.0\Scripts\Tools\com.afta8.Vektor42.xrnx' failed to execute in one of its menu entry functions.

Please contact the author (Aftab Hussain aka afta8 | afta8h@gmail.com ) for assistance…

main.lua:151: attempt to index upvalue ‘morph_smp’ (a nil value)

stack traceback:

main.lua:151: in function ‘initialise’

main.lua:1406: in function main.lua:542

This happens when initializing the tool having an empty instrument slot selected, booting upon an existing sample, it does seem to run fine.

Really quickly looking Djeroek, tiny silly hack line at 150 in main.lua I’ve added in to try and ease that error?

150 renoise.song().instruments[ins]:insert_sample_at(1) --A quick possible silly hack 4Tey

Really quickly looking Djeroek, tiny silly hack line at 150 in main.lua I’ve added in to try and ease that error?

150 renoise.song().instruments[ins]:insert_sample_at(1) --A quick possible silly hack 4Tey

Seems to do the trick here, cheers!

Hi my friend wanted to know where I can dowload the vector42 tool thanks