EnergyCrush

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:Electronic composition, glitch, edm, design, coding

Posted 01 July 2017 - 07:53

Hi LFOKringlan,

Hello!

Is it only for the kick and bass you guys using this sidechain technique? or is it more?

Do you compress or eq the sound source before the sidechain?

Where do I place the effects? for start or after?

Many questions but Im so confused.  :blink:  ^_^

I was actually using it for morphing two audio signals - synths and samples.

Side-chaining comes up in popular conversation a lot as a method of 'ducking' out a tracks audio (or certain frequency range of that audio) in response to another tracks audio signal - like a kick ducking a bass tone to avoid muddiness, or ducking a trance chord as an effect. Almost any modern DAW with developers responsive to their customer base supports this functionality natively now - most of them for several years now.

Essentially it's a method of routing and using one audio signal to modulate another audio signal...typically using the volume of the first as the modulator of the second. In the case where I was 'morphing' audio signals, in reality it was more like a vocoder - using the first signal as a sort of formant to shape the second signal, using Melda's MMoprh as it were. Not really a deep morph like a Kyma or anything, but an interesting effect nonetheless :)

Mickey

Edited by EnergyCrush, 01 July 2017 - 07:57.

#77 LFOKringlan

LFOKringlan

• Normal Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 21:52

Hey Mickey!

I think I got it now.. But my CPU is on 76% and then I just got a kick track and a bass track lol. 😁

#78 ffx

ffx

Composes without Wires burns Directly from Brain to DVD that is already in Store Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3023 posts
  • Interests:macOS fanboying

Posted 24 August 2017 - 11:58

I want to let the Renoise team know that today I am missing sidechain in Renoise compressors, again! I really like their sound. But there are scenarios in which a sidechain is required. So many things would be possible.

• EnergyCrush likes this
MacOS 10.12.6 Retina, Renoise 3.1 64 bit   -   Tuned Shortcuts | Multi-Jump From/To Send | Quick Template | Insert Native DSP Menu (incl. deprecated)
HM Soundcloud | HM Bandcamp

#79 somemoron

somemoron

• Normal Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Drums and Renoise

Posted 25 August 2017 - 20:33

Hi all,

I've been struggling to get this working for the last couple of days - it seems that as soon as i add Sendit and set it to receive, my CPU just goes nuts until Renoise stops.  I'm just testing with 2 instances of Zebra, attempting to route audio from one track to another and during the short time before Renoise stops, I get nothing

I set up the same as Ledger's screenshots (thanks Ledger!) but routed straight from "Sendit: receive channel 1" to my audio output in Metaplugin but got no signal on channel 2

I'm running Windows 7 on an I7 processor with 64bit everything so I feel like I must be doing something wrong if I can't run even one instance of this on my machine

I saw Ledger also suggested using the "Auto suspend plugin when silent" option but I can't find this. < edit: I found it, this was already enabled, as was multiprocessor support >  If the CPU normally skyrockets when the song stops, i wonder if, since it doesn't seem to be receiving anything, this same effect is being seen in my track even though it's not actually stopped.  

<another edit> I enabled "use static processing buffers" and now although I still have no signal, my CPU is coping>

I've tried reinstalling Metaplugin, leaving out all the 32 bit stuff just to make sure i'm not mixing my bits and the usual reboot everything drill has been done

Thanks to EnergyCrush's excellent work I am mere inches from Mmorphing my drums with my synths but I can't quite seem to cross the finish line - any ideas would be very welcome!  

<last edit : Living up to my name here, i just demonstrated my problem to a friend and it worked, very clicky but i was getting something, then i turned off "use static processing buffers" and suddenly everything's fine!  If anyone else has similar problems to me, the solution is tick and untick everything and then show your friend how it doesn't work

Edited by somemoron, 25 August 2017 - 22:10.

#80 EnergyCrush

EnergyCrush

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 07:24

Hey Mickey!

I think I got it now.. But my CPU is on 76% and then I just got a kick track and a bass track lol.

Man..yeah, that is extreme. I haven't hit that yet. I have seen that Renoise treats plugins differently from other VST hosts in a few ways, and though it seems to have gotten better over time, it leads to some pretty borked behavior...VSTs that aren't explicitly stopped when space bar is used to stop, failure to retrigger VST sync, high CPU on many plugins (for example, Sonarworks) compared to other DAWs, etc. I haven't seen it that high on my system, and am not sure why, but I'm not falling out of my chair surprised.

I want to let the Renoise team know that today I am missing sidechain in Renoise compressors, again! I really like their sound. But there are scenarios in which a sidechain is required. So many things would be possible.

Deaf ears man. It's like waiting to spot BigFoot. It's like with DAWs the options are a ) full featured and regularly updated, b ) reasonably priced, c ) actually awesome to use: pick 2.

Edited by EnergyCrush, 31 August 2017 - 07:25.

#81 EnergyCrush

EnergyCrush

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 07:38

<last edit : Living up to my name here, i just demonstrated my problem to a friend and it worked, very clicky but i was getting something, then i turned off "use static processing buffers" and suddenly everything's fine!  If anyone else has similar problems to me, the solution is tick and untick everything and then show your friend how it doesn't work

Lol...every time.

Glad you got it working. Have been so slammed at work lately it's taking me days or weeks to respond to tons of personal email.

#82 somemoron

somemoron

• Normal Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Drums and Renoise

Posted 09 September 2017 - 21:18

Actually, other than for about 10 minutes I never did get this working - I just mailed them requesting a refund as their support dude has given up and I can't think of much else to try myself.  It's super annoying since I bought MMorph and can't use it

Is there anything else similar to Metaplugin anyone can recommend?

Please add me to the list of people asking for sidechain support in Renoise!

Edited by somemoron, 18 September 2017 - 15:18.

#83 EnergyCrush

EnergyCrush

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 01:38

However, it doesn't seem to work with Izotope Neutron unfortunately. Anyone else have this problem?

Curious if you've played with this more. I seem to be able to use Neutron either directly or within Metaplugin, but was having trouble where the drop-down in the Masking feature wouldn't show any other instances of Neutron. What I figured out was that if the option to run plugins in their own sandbox is on, Neutron (and likely other plugins) can't see each other. While DDMF Metaplugin enables side-chaining functionality between VST3 plugins, hosted plugins like Neutron are still impacted by that setting, which is...irritating.

I'm in the process of trying to use Metaplugin for Neutron, as I discovered that when running Neutron in Reason 9.5, the CPU is completely overwhelmed with 2 or more instances. Digging around, it seems other people have noticed that Neutron seems to be much less CPU intensive when run as a VST3 plugin, and Metaplugin makes this possible in both Renoise and Reason, both being only VST2 capable at present. The hokery involved in connecting it all this way is phenomenal, not in a good way.

Staggering thought for the day: It's going to be a seriously telling day when, given the context of history, Propellerheads implements VST3 support in Reason before Renoise developers make it happen. Chew on that for a while.

Edited by EnergyCrush, 18 September 2017 - 01:39.

#84 whitewolfmusic

whitewolfmusic

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 00:00

In general, Renoise could use more flexible / powerful routing capabilities, along with an easy way to do them. That would be one of my feature requests, too. Split signals, route them into certain VST plugins like compressors, etc.

• EnergyCrush likes this

#85 Sweeppah

Sweeppah

• Normal Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 23:41

+1 for this

#86 Land of Bits

Land of Bits

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Interests:Renoise, ambient glitch texture techno breaks and bass music :)

Posted 29 October 2017 - 13:24

hi interesting post i use to think the same as you ..but ive noticed that producers every day are using more ducking (basically what we made in renoise signal follower+hydra+gainer)

to kinda illustrate my point ....producer Matt Lange its hosting a podcast called tam tempo...

one of the 1st episodes  guests Calix&Teebee MatZo 12th Planet and Photek

specifically talk about sidechain compression and the way they approach to it

the podcast also cover a lot of good material ....regarding producing aspects.. :)

heres the link

http://taptempo.libs...h-planet-photek

#87 EnergyCrush

EnergyCrush

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 21:51

hi interesting post i use to think the same as you ..but ive noticed that producers every day are using more ducking (basically what we made in renoise signal follower+hydra+gainer)

I can totally appreciate what you are saying. It's awesome to have that path, and it probably solves the issue for several Renoise users. I love that Renoise has built-in several core effects, as well as extensible utilities that in many ways goes beyond other DAWs. It's noted on several respectable 'top x plugins' lists that the best place to start for entry level musicians are the often very decent tools already built in to your DAW. This got me off the ground for years, when Renoise was literally the only thing I could afford.

Now I rely on the functionality built into VST plug-ins because I need my core toolset to work everywhere. I depend on my plugin developers to keep relatively up to date, and I depend on my DAW developers to do the same. Tracking is how I cut my teeth and how I prefer to write, and at the end of the day, Renoise is and has been the only serious option for modern Trackers. This is where I feel responsibility lies, and where I feel Renoise has actually failed myself and others. This is where pride in my conversations telling other musicians how I write ends, and why I haven't convinced anyone else to pick it up now in years. It will die, and that means ultimately the hardcore users lose as well.

If Renoise developers honestly don't believe they can or will make it a priority in their lives again, then I'd ask them please to open source it, before someone else actually does eat their...OUR...lunch. Strong as the community is here, the amazing investments users have made, it's a shoe-in for active development.

But that's only true if Renoise devs open up the chest and share the key. I get it, it's unlikely, but this is honesty, not politics.

Edited by EnergyCrush, 29 October 2017 - 21:52.