EnergyCrush

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Electronic composition, glitch, edm, design, coding

Posted 01 July 2017 - 07:53

Hi LFOKringlan,

Hello!

Is it only for the kick and bass you guys using this sidechain technique? or is it more?

Do you compress or eq the sound source before the sidechain?

Where do I place the effects? for start or after?

Many questions but Im so confused.  :blink:  ^_^

I was actually using it for morphing two audio signals - synths and samples.

Side-chaining comes up in popular conversation a lot as a method of 'ducking' out a tracks audio (or certain frequency range of that audio) in response to another tracks audio signal - like a kick ducking a bass tone to avoid muddiness, or ducking a trance chord as an effect. Almost any modern DAW with developers responsive to their customer base supports this functionality natively now - most of them for several years now.

Essentially it's a method of routing and using one audio signal to modulate another audio signal...typically using the volume of the first as the modulator of the second. In the case where I was 'morphing' audio signals, in reality it was more like a vocoder - using the first signal as a sort of formant to shape the second signal, using Melda's MMoprh as it were. Not really a deep morph like a Kyma or anything, but an interesting effect nonetheless :)

Mickey

Edited by EnergyCrush, 01 July 2017 - 07:57.

#77 LFOKringlan

LFOKringlan

• Normal Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 21:52

Hey Mickey!

I think I got it now.. But my CPU is on 76% and then I just got a kick track and a bass track lol. 😁