► Renoise 3 Beta testing starts - announcing Redux

Can finally put an end to this Renoise 3 speculation thread <_<
Renoise 3 beta builds are available for registered users in the Renoise Backstage.

What’s new

For an overview of the new features, please have a look at the Renoise 3 Release Notes.

In summary, Renoise 3 concentrates on most of the very basic fundamentals of a tracker: the sampler, and well, more stuff with patterns ;)

To do this, we wanted to take the chance to renew parts of the old UI and related workflows too, instead of simply putting a shitload of new stuff on top of the already existing features. Such a procedure always is, well, a bit hairy. Must have a very good reason for anything that gets removed or replaced in the UI to satisfy the changes. Went through a lot of iterations and tries with the alpha testers to achieve what you’ll see now. So a big thanks to everyone who was involved in this (alpha testers)! Especially to danoise and dblue who also contributed most of the new bundled instruments.

To get a feeling for the new possibilities and workflow in Renoise 3, have a look at the new Demo Songs, especially the one from Danoise, and have a look at the new bundled instruments in the factory content.

Welcome Redux to the family

We’ve been working on more than just Renoise in the past months and are happy to announce (but not yet release) Redux.

Redux will be an instrument plugin (VST on Windows, OSX and Linux - Audio Unit on OSX - all in 32 and 64 bit flavors), which brings the sample-mangling and pattern hacking capabilities of Renoise to any DAW which is capable of hosting VST or AU plugins. Redux is NOT intended to be Renoise as a plugin – we have ReWire for that – but it has been developed based on Renoises’s new sampler and phrases to be an instrument. Redux has its own identity, and is more like Renoise’s little brother.

This means that, without resorting to tricks like Rewire, the sample-mangling capabilities of Renoise will soon be available to any DAW, too. We hope this is useful for everyone to try out the Renoise tracking workflow without leaving your favorite DAW, or for Renoise users to bring your Renoise way of composing into other DAWs. Any instruments created in Renoise will be fully compatible with Redux, and vice versa.

Although Redux’s core functionality is more or less complete, we want to give it more time for fine-tuning, and give it some more attention before we release it. Renoise 3, on the other hand, is already ready for beta testing, so we decided to concentrate on the Renoise 3 release first, then we’ll start testing Redux at a later date.

If you’re interested in helping us alpha-test Redux, you can subscribe to the Redux newsletter here: http://www.renoise.com/products/redux/newsletter
Please note that the Renoise 3 beta has priority now, so you may not hear from us until we’re done with the Renoise 3 beta.

New Beta Testing forums

As usual, there are two new forums that deal with the beta release. A bug report forum and an ideas and suggestion forum. Please help us by only posting Renoise 3 beta relevant things in there. When reporting bugs, please be as detailed as possible in order to help us replicate and fix any problems.

Please also note that we won’t be very active around Christmas. We all have family and will take a small break in the next days, so during the holidays we will probably not respond as quickly as we usually do.

Release date and price

Renoise will stay in beta as long as necessary, as long as it has bugs and as long as we all think it needs more fine-tuning. So I can’t give you a release date yet. Will be done when it’s done.

The price of Renoise will be raised to 65 EUR, but as long as Renoise 3.0 is in beta, you will get it for the old price. Redux’s price will be around 50 EUR.

Happy testing!

HOLY SHIT CHECK THE BACKSTAGE!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
RENOISE 3 !!! YOU MADE MY MONTH !!!

I need moar vodka now! :ph34r:

BUT I HAVE TO SLEEP TONIGHT

couldn’t resist upgrading my license

kudos to dev team.

Cant…download…fast enough!

and i to

Boom.

Very very nice work everyone involved!

And let me be the person to coin the term…

Threenoise

I can’t download for real. After license agreement I get:
Taktik edited: fixed

[details=“Click to view contents”] HTTP Status 500 -
type Exception report
description The server encountered an internal error () that prevented it from fulfilling this request.
exception

org.apache.jasper.JasperException: Exception in JSP: /WEB-INF/pages/production/672110.jsp:27

24: UserManagement userManagement = null;
25: if (context != null) userManagement = (UserManagement) context.getBean(“userManagement”);
26:
27: WebPatcher.processDownload(request,response,contentService,userManagement);
28: %>

Stacktrace:
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.handleJspException(JspServletWrapper.java:504)
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:393)
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:314)
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:264)
javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:802)
org.springframework.web.servlet.view.InternalResourceView.renderMergedOutputModel(InternalResourceView.java:88)
org.springframework.web.servlet.view.AbstractView.render(AbstractView.java:238)
org.springframework.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet.render(DispatcherServlet.java:644)
org.springframework.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet.doService(DispatcherServlet.java:535)
org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.service(FrameworkServlet.java:321)
com.renoise.web.utils.CharsetFilter.doFilter(CharsetFilter.java:24)
root cause

java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.NullPointerException
com.artisgroup.sitebase.server.security.SecurityContext.performOperationAsUser(SecurityContext.java:44)
com.renoise.web.registration.WebPatcher.processDownload(WebPatcher.java:121)
org.apache.jsp.WEB_002dINF.pages.production._672110_jsp._jspService(_672110_jsp.java:68)
org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:97)
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:332)
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:314)
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:264)
org.springframework.web.servlet.view.InternalResourceView.renderMergedOutputModel(InternalResourceView.java:88)
org.springframework.web.servlet.view.AbstractView.render(AbstractView.java:238)
org.springframework.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet.render(DispatcherServlet.java:644)
org.springframework.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet.doService(DispatcherServlet.java:535)
org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.service(FrameworkServlet.java:321)
com.renoise.web.utils.CharsetFilter.doFilter(CharsetFilter.java:24)
note The full stack trace of the root cause is available in the Apache Tomcat/5.5.17 logs. [/details]

Maybe has something to do with Ä (ae)-letter in my name, there were some problems before with it.
Also had to upgrade my license. (which show valid until 3.9, but I think it should be 4.0, since there were no 2.9 :))

edit: Thanks for the fast fix.

+Nice to see announcement for Redux. i’ve been dreaming of using Renoise sampler as plugin in Logic projects.

Unreal, but Finally!!! Can start the breakup process with Kontakt. I don’t think she ever really loved me anyway…

I can’t wait to use Redux together with Redux in Ableton Live!

In all seriousness, there is some great stuff in this upgrade. Excellent work!

Not that impressed by the new layout of Renoise and such (I only really use Renoise as an instrument nowadays anyway)
Literally can’t wait to get a grip on Redux though, the new phrases per instrument are just super slick
Oh and the 256 sample limit in plugin grabber is gone wooooooooooooooooooooo

i have doubt that the renoise 3.0 will come this night when i seen the renoise site in maintenance renoise rules :drummer:

THANX TAKTIK & the whole team

after a short check under a windows vm I have to say:

maybe nice looking improvements but my hope for a better base UI (scalable fonts) and song editing experience (pattern zoom) died now. the same shitty pattern-font and font sizes … sinces ages. :(/>

awaited not more but finally other things! :confused:

the new UI feels kinda odd at first, but I bet you get used to it pretty quick. It also feels somewhat snappier on linux.
new sample editor seems impressive. more straight forward than the old one

only thing that kinda bugs me so far, is that you can’t detach pattern editor and mixer view, as they are the ones I tended to use the most on earlier versions.

Thank you! And happy holidays!

Sustain pedal no longer works in 3.0 :(/> :(/>

/* edit */ It still works for the midi device selected in the Prefs. window, but not for those selected in each instrument.

Works fine for me…