loop point loop-point automation

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#26 GhostofJohnToad

GhostofJohnToad

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Making Music and Movies, Guitars, Coffee, & Long walks along the fringes

Posted 03 July 2014 - 00:52

brilliant!!!

#27 TheBellows

TheBellows

Guruh Motha Fakka is Levitating and Knows Everything About Renoise Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2548 posts
  • Interests:Jepp

Posted 03 July 2014 - 17:33

Maybe it's already been mentioned, but please be aware that this feature would ideally need the possibility to make a pitch-change in realtime for the note to stay in tune - at least when using it with short loops. Otherwise the pitch would become lower when the loop range becomes larger and synth like modulations will be very limited. I think the implementation of loop point automation needs careful consideration because of this.

When you move both loop points parallelly it usually stays in tune (depending on the sample of course), when you move only one it will change pitch, i think that is all i want from this feature, not a pitch correction effect on top of it.

Edited by TheBellows, 03 July 2014 - 17:36.

• shadowpsyc likes this

#28 vV

vV

God's or Borg's Chief and Ruler of All Species

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16855 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 14:04

I made a video going into more detail and updating some ideas.

This sounds like a very great idea...
I'm just trying to puzzle out the damage when both start and end points are automated when the link button is active.
I just think that loop-offset point and loop-size like Afta's tool already does would do a better job in that case. The loop offset then simply moves the whole section. In case the end-point should remain, the loop-size should be enlarged in the automation frames.
I'm not sure if could be done with link option without introducing stuff like "locking" automation parameters. (Would not hurt to have that feature, but i'm not sure if people would use the locking mechanism a lot outside your proposed DSP)
Vv....

cpu Intel Core i7-4820K @3.70GHz
chipset Intel X79 chipset
mem 32 Gb 2400Mhz
os Win 7 64-bit SP1, DirectX 11
audio ESI ESP1010e - > Driver rev:2.0.6.0
video nVidia Geforce GTX780 - > Driver rev:335.23

Renoise Official Manual

#29 joule

joule

• Normal Members
  • 1723 posts
  • Interests:music, philosophy, engineering

Posted 07 July 2014 - 15:31

When you move both loop points parallelly it usually stays in tune (depending on the sample of course), when you move only one it will change pitch, i think that is all i want from this feature, not a pitch correction effect on top of it.

I understand. This will limit its synthesizing capabilities when it comes to waveform modulation.

#30 TheBellows

TheBellows

• Normal Members
  • 2548 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 15:41

I understand. This will limit its synthesizing capabilities when it comes to waveform modulation.

I can't see why, am i missing something here?
To me it sounds like you want some kind of autotune effect on top of the loop point modulation, maybe i misunderstood something?

#31 joule

joule

• Normal Members
  • 1723 posts
  • Interests:music, philosophy, engineering

Posted 07 July 2014 - 17:27

I can't see why, am i missing something here?
To me it sounds like you want some kind of autotune effect on top of the loop point modulation, maybe i misunderstood something?

Nope. I'm saying it should be capable of adjusting the pitch (speed of sample playback, not FFT stuff) to keep the original note pitch when changing loop size. Otherwise it will be possible to "scroll" the loop window, but it wouldn't be very usable to change the size of the loop (with a pitch slide as a side effect). Talking about short looping waveforms here..

#32 TheBellows

TheBellows

• Normal Members
  • 2548 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:05

Nope. I'm saying it should be capable of adjusting the pitch (speed of sample playback, not FFT stuff) to keep the original note pitch when changing loop size. Otherwise it will be possible to "scroll" the loop window, but it wouldn't be very usable to change the size of the loop (with a pitch slide as a side effect). Talking about short looping waveforms here..

Ok, a function that compensates the time, slows down when shrinking the loop and goes faster when enlarging the loop. I want to be able to turn it off though, but couldn't hurt to add this feature. A manual workaround could be to automate a pitch slider at the same time as you move the loop point, but not as convenient.
  • joule likes this

#33 florian

florian

Big Super GrandMasta Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  • Interests:sampling, drums, bikes, video... .... cats.

Posted 08 July 2014 - 18:39

tres cool!

very well thought out implementation strategy too.

if this were implemented it might blow up the whole braindance genre.

+1
-----
black
skwrl
-----

#34 BpZ

BpZ

Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 19:27

Here is a vst that works in this way but with LIMITATION compared with renoise
http://homepage.ntlw...ice/players.htm

#35 ballacr75

ballacr75

Local Chief Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Interests:Music, boomerang, lego, airplane RC.
    http://www.acadballa.com

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:22

With moving loop points togheter finally you can create wavetable sounds.......PPG.......Wavestation......Vector........WONDERFULLLLLL!!!!
|Emanuele Ballasina|ballacr75|www.acadballa.com|Renoise 3.0.0|Reason 7.1|Yamaha Motif ES 6|plg150an|dx|vl|Yamaha FS1r|Access Virus TI|Kurzweil PC3 61|Nord Stage 2 HA88|Mutable Instruments Shruthi1|Cremona|Italy|

#36 migloJE

migloJE

Super Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:28

There's a tool that does what you need.
http://forum.renoise...0-loop-control/

Thanks! smile.gif finaly something smile.gif but i thing it will not be as smooth as it would be with faded loop points..

hm. installed it, but its not showing in the doepfer list....

Edited by migloJE, 06 August 2014 - 09:07.

#37 Achenar

Achenar

Big Masta Member

• Renoise Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 15:40

I'm just trying to puzzle out the damage when both start and end points are automated when the link button is active.
I just think that loop-offset point and loop-size like Afta's tool already does would do a better job in that case. The loop offset then simply moves the whole section. In case the end-point should remain, the loop-size should be enlarged in the automation frames.
I'm not sure if could be done with link option without introducing stuff like "locking" automation parameters. (Would not hurt to have that feature, but i'm not sure if people would use the locking mechanism a lot outside your proposed DSP)

Excellent point, I never considered that people would move both the Start and End parameters while linked; that could certainly cause issues. The point of the Link mode was to allow you to move the whole loop around in real-time with a single hardware mod-wheel/slider/dial, though I guess we could just use the Hydra for that.

dh.pngsoundcloud.pngyt.pngfb.pngtw.png

#38 Skolskoly

Skolskoly

Chief Above Chief Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • Interests:Music, Video games, computers, coding

Posted 15 October 2014 - 00:28

just wanted to add that having realtime crossfade looping would also be great in the sampler. Combining loop point automation with this could be super cool.

#39 BEEPER

BEEPER

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Musicings - Artings - Video...ings

Posted 15 October 2014 - 03:30

WOW YES. Thinking about some of the sounds I could get out of this concept and I'm really feeling it.

I've seen a few tools that can do this but they're kind of unstable to work with so a native implementation would be really great.

#40 amateurtools

amateurtools

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 01:17

With moving loop points togheter finally you can create wavetable sounds.......PPG.......Wavestation......Vector........WONDERFULLLLLL!!!!

didnt trackers have that back in the atari days?

#41 ___

___

Composes without Wires burns Directly from Brain to DVD that is already in Store Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3347 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 13:39

This feature would also require a real time loop crossfade engine in renoise (which would also highly increase the quality of any looped samples), or it will alias as hell. Just saying.... Seems to me much more complicated then.

Test system: macOS 10.13.4, HFS+. Firewire Audio, i7 4770, 8GB Ram, GTX1050 2GB, 48kHz

#42 Mister Sombrero

Mister Sombrero

Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 19:53

+1 it makes an awesome sound. This feature is already in littlegameparktracker, the command is called "play loop offset"

#43 ___

___

Composes without Wires burns Directly from Brain to DVD that is already in Store Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3347 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 14:35

Just for inspiration for the devs, start point automation and grains:

https://youtu.be/TwnUaVT6CvI?t=1435

Edited by ffx, 10 February 2017 - 14:36.

Test system: macOS 10.13.4, HFS+. Firewire Audio, i7 4770, 8GB Ram, GTX1050 2GB, 48kHz

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: loop, point, loop-point, automation