[3.0] Manual Pulse Wave Modulation

Just found a way to make a Manual Pwm. I made this for making chiptune sounds but you can use this technique to do all sort of sample switching you might like.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7t9ptq15ptzfsd7/QiTaNo%20-%20Square%20Pwm%20Manual.xrni

Hm, it seems to have only hard steps of different PWM settings. Imo in this way it’s useless or too complicated. Nevertheless thank you for your effort!

I think you can just take a saw on one oscillator and a reverse saw on the second. Now you can simply control the PWM modulation by slightly pitching oscillator 2:

Renoise 3 simple PWM using reverse saw

For sure i would like to have a smoothier way, but this method give you the possibility to chose between 80% 70% 60% and 50% pulse width wich was intended for chiptune needs like i said earlier. So for me it is very usefull, plus, the technique of the reverse saw imply that lower notes will have a slower rate than the higher note and does not give you an accurate square wave form for chiptuning.

But if you want you could add multiple waveform to perfom a smoothier result (Even tho it will never be as smooth as a synth). My goal in sharing this instrument was more for showing a sample switching method that you could use for any sound you might like !

That’s true. You could implement a pwm start offset also like this:

It’s just the start offset, no manual modulation.

Renoise 3 simple PWM using reverse saw with start offset

But you will hear now some pitching on higher values.

What’s really missing in the sampler modulation is a play/loop position offset.

If you also believe that the sampler modulation should be able to target the sample position/loop position,

then please vote for this feature request! <<<