Note start behavior

Hello,

First of all and, again, congratulations for this fantastic, very fast and rock solid piece of software (I’m programmer).

I would like to suggest a very “light” and “not risky” extension of the “note start” behavior.

All the old trackers had a nice feature which is:

• When playing a note with both “instrument number” and “note”, the sample starts from the beginning with applied effects and volume. This is also, of course, Renoise behavior.
  • When playing a note with just the “note” but no “instrument number”, it does the same EXCEPT that the previous “sample” continues to play (if any) without restarting because no new instrument is specified. It is very logical, in fact. Of course, the frequency is updated if the note is different.

In renoise, the second “option” doesn’t do anything.
Please … it is very simple :slight_smile:

Regards,

Arnaud.

I guess you are referring to a ‘ghost note’ - a note with no instrument number.

Not so - a ghost note in Renoise will trigger the most recently played instrument in that column, but without retriggering the modulation envelope.

You can even combine this with the glide command - the result would be a note that neither retrigger it’s modulation nor the sample playback position (both will continue playing from their currently position, only the pitch might change)

Oh, just found this - info is still relevant
Renoise blog: Ghost Notes Uncovered

Hi !

Thanks for your answer.

I guess you are referring to a ‘ghost note’ - a note with no instrument number.
Yes :slight_smile:

Not so - a ghost note in Renoise will trigger the most recently played instrument in that column, but without retriggering
the modulation envelope.
Then this part is fine.

I now understand my misunderstanding came from a “volume” management issue.
Because I saw the problem with some ghost notes made after a volume
slide down effect and I had no notes :slight_smile: This is the precise issue: you should also reset the volume.
I think the only special feature of a ghost note is not to retrigger the envelope / sample.
But the volume and effect should be reseted.

only the pitch might change
Yes !

Then … Could you reset the volume (to instrument value) for ghost notes ?

Arnaud.

Hi,

Is my understanding correct ?
The volume needs to be reseted to instrument value on a ghost note (but, as you said,
without retriggering the sample/envelope).
In the worst case, if you don’t agree (but I’m sure you agree :slight_smile: ), you can add an option
in the compatibility box (like “reset volume on ghost note”) … because the older trackers worked
this way.

Thank you,

Arnaud.

What keeps you from using the sustain marker in the volume envelope on the first node-point? Because that is what the sustain marker is responsible for…

Hello,

As far as I know, the sustain marker won’t hélp when the previous note has a volume slide to 0. Then the next “ghost note” won’t play because the volume is not resetted to instrument default value.
Resetting the volume was the old trackers behavior and seems logical.
Please consider to do it, at least, within a compatibility option.

Arnaud

Hello all,

When I see the big list of improvements in b6 and b7 …
I think that my small “reset volume on ghost notes” is 10 minutes :slight_smile:

Arnaud.

Hi all,

Just a small “up”.

Arnaud.

perhaps I’ve misunderstood you, but you can use the volume column to set the volume precisely where you want it.

If you’ve typed in a ghost note you’re already on that line, so it’ll take two seconds or less…

You can even use the fade in / out effects commands as well :slight_smile:

If the sample has released, then it has to be retriggered for the envelope to start over. I can’t see any reason for it to be otherwise.

You can work without modulation on the sample and change the volume with pattern effects, that will more resemble old trackers way of doing it. Let’s say you have a looping chipsound, now if you add a ghost note it will still not automatically reset the volume, but by adding a 80 in the volume track will bring it back to full volume.