- - - - -

[done 3.1 b6] Suggestion - Autoseek for phrases

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_crytek_*

Guest_crytek_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2014 - 23:07

Quite simply, I think the phrase section would be more functional, if we are able to toggle autoseek on and off for phrases. Autoseek currently works per sample, but not whole phrases. Can we add this for the next beta release?

#2 Akiz

Akiz

Guruh Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 00:04

it was here (with older betas), now it is out. I dont need it and i heard it takes a lot of cpu, but maybe option toggle it on / off would be the best?

Edited by Akiz, 10 February 2014 - 00:04.

#3 thalamus

thalamus

Big Daddy Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts
  • Interests:Sound

Posted 10 February 2014 - 00:27

but maybe option toggle it on / off would be the best?

Agreed, much as it's a choice with samples. Unless there is some nasty technical reason why it's not a good idea, let the user decide the manner in which the CPU gets fried :)

#4 vV

vV

God's or Borg's Chief and Ruler of All Species

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16855 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:25

Quite simply, I think the phrase section would be more functional, if we are able to toggle autoseek on and off for phrases. Autoseek currently works per sample, but not whole phrases. Can we add this for the next beta release?

It was indeed present in the old beta versions.
The devs are looking into an optional solution (apply when desired, left off by default) but it has not the highest priority at the moment.
Vv....

cpu Intel Core i7-4820K @3.70GHz
chipset Intel X79 chipset
mem 32 Gb 2400Mhz
os Win 7 64-bit SP1, DirectX 11
audio ESI ESP1010e - > Driver rev:2.0.6.0
video nVidia Geforce GTX780 - > Driver rev:335.23

Renoise Official Manual

#5 florian

florian

Big Super GrandMasta Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  • Interests:sampling, drums, bikes, video... .... cats.

Posted 15 June 2014 - 17:39

hi +1 for this.

I think one of the main ways that i would see myself using the phrase editor is to create nested pattern type situations. especially if I want to write one part that's in 3/4 and another in 4/4 and then let them play over eachother. it would be a lot nicer to audition the results if i didn't need to scrub back to the top of my pattern to test out the way the parts line up when i'm trying out melodic arrangements in the middle of the pattern.

I guess a workaround is to render everything to samples and autoseek like that, maybe even with pattern freezing plugins, but it really slows up the workflow.

Anyways, i would definitely use it, and it would make me use the phrase editor A LOT more.

Thanks!
  • piranhatron2000 likes this
-----
black
skwrl
-----

#6 fineprimitivesounds

fineprimitivesounds

Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 12:33

Desperate for some kind of tool that will allow this or at least a tool that can go Select Pattern > Convert Phrase to Notes when I have something written I like.

#7 danoise

danoise

Probably More God or Borg Than Human Member

• Renoise Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6069 posts
  • Interests:wildlife + urban trekking

Posted 12 November 2015 - 13:15

I believe the original phrase autoseek, as it was temporarily implemented prior to the 3.0 release, was a "proper" implementation that not only kept the playback progression of the phrase up to date, but also autoseeked the samples contained within the phrase. And that this is why it could become so computationally expensive. I guess the alternative would be to not autoseek samples at all, but only let the phrase playback catch up with the playback - so triggering samples from that point and onwards. 

Hm, taktik should correct me if I'm mistaken about this  :blush:

What I mostly miss is the ability to drop a phrase at the beginning of the song and let it play forward instead of having to copy-paste it across the entire project. If phrase autoseek could do this, I wouldn't even want to have it as a option, but simply wish that it would always behave like that.

@fineprimitivesounds: I've been waiting for such a tool to appear as well, but it seems no one has delivered.

Well, I have some code around - this functionality is already part of some of my other tools. Let's make it happen  ^_^

• fineprimitivesounds likes this

Tracking with Stuff. API wishlist | Soundcloud

#8 fineprimitivesounds

fineprimitivesounds

Advanced Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 17:15

I believe the original phrase autoseek, as it was temporarily implemented prior to the 3.0 release, was a "proper" implementation that not only kept the playback progression of the phrase up to date, but also autoseeked the samples contained within the phrase. And that this is why it could become so computationally expensive. I guess the alternative would be to not autoseek samples at all, but only let the phrase playback catch up with the playback - so triggering samples from that point and onwards. 

What I mostly miss is the ability to drop a phrase at the beginning of the song and let it play forward instead of having to copy-paste it across the entire project. If phrase autoseek could do this, I wouldn't even want to have it as a option, but simply wish that it would always behave like that.

@fineprimitivesounds: I've been waiting for such a tool to appear as well, but it seems no one has delivered.

Well, I have some code around - this functionality is already part of some of my other tools. Let's make it happen  ^_^

Well having both sample AND phrase autoseek at the same time sounds amazing! I'd be happy for just phrases at the minute but both would be incredible, I mean, I've got an 8 core FX-8350 piledriver desktop, so cpu usage is no problem for me. Is there a way to re-implement it as a temporary measure so I can really test-drive these phrases? I'm composing jungle at the moment and having to remember to go back to the start of each section in the middle of writing is very laborious and would be indefinitely improved with phrase autoseek! What kind of code do you have? :)

#9 danoise

danoise

Probably More God or Borg Than Human Member

• Renoise Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6069 posts
  • Interests:wildlife + urban trekking

Posted 15 November 2015 - 11:57

fineprimitivesounds: I've been waiting for such a tool to appear as well, but it seems no one has delivered.

Desperate for some kind of tool that will allow this or at least a tool that can go Select Pattern > Convert Phrase to Notes 

Et voilà:

http://forum.renoise...-31-phrasemate/

• ghostwerk likes this

Tracking with Stuff. API wishlist | Soundcloud

#10 taktik

taktik

Renoise Developer

• Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15040 posts
  • Interests:füße waschen

Posted 18 November 2015 - 13:02

No, that's correct. Main problem was autoseeking samples within autoseeked phrases. See also http://forum.renoise...eased/?p=309378 ;)