Playback compatibility options

Hi,

why this track sounds different if played with renoise or openmodplug (or winamp)?, just tried to change playback compatibility options!

ftp://ftp.modland.com/pub/modules/Protracker/Lizardking/atomic%20destination+.mod

just tried to change playback compatibility options!

If you changed from Amiga/FT2 mode to Renoise mode, or upgraded the song, then this can definitely have a potentially huge difference on the sound. You should keep the song in its original state if you want to stay somewhat true to the original sound.

Nevertheless, it’s important to keep this fact in mind: Renoise is not designed to be a 100% accurate old school MOD player.

We do obviously support MOD loading, but this is mainly intended so that you can examine the pattern data, extract samples, or even remix/rework the old songs using modern sounds and the full features of Renoise.

We still try to play back the old MODs as nicely as we can, but there can easily be some quirks, bugs, or other weird behaviours lurking in there somewhere. We do not guarantee any kind of accuracy here.

If you need absolutely perfect playback of MODs created in the 80s and 90s, then Renoise is definitely not the tool you should be using.

Faithfully emulating .mod/.xm/.it/whatever_legacy_tracker_format is a story, that I wouldn’t blame renoise devs for not trying really hard. Many of those formats suffer a lot of funky weird behaviour of individual tracker progs that is often even deliberately used to achieve certain effects. If you want a render as close as possible to the original, try the tracker it was created in (best) or a playback engine that was designed by purpose to emulate the original style. I bet openmodplug isn’t 100% original either.

ok thanks!

Faithfully emulating .mod/.xm/.it/whatever_legacy_tracker_format is a story, that I wouldn’t blame renoise devs for not trying really hard. Many of those formats suffer a lot of funky weird behaviour of individual tracker progs that is often even deliberately used to achieve certain effects. If you want a render as close as possible to the original, try the tracker it was created in (best) or a playback engine that was designed by purpose to emulate the original style. I bet openmodplug isn’t 100% original either.

As accurate as this may be, I don’t understand why it’s so difficult to implement proper playback for these formats. I’m not a programmer but in my mind, if you know how a certain effect behaves based on the parameters given, why can’t that be implemented in the program it’s being played back on? (In this case Renoise).

I could understand why this might be difficult if playback depended on hardware that wasn’t accurate all the time (eg, analog synthesizers had noisy filters, oscillators that drifted in tune, etc). But why does this happen with trackers?

(I’m not trying to start any arguments or am I saying Renoise is crap at old format playback - I honestly want to understand why it’s so hard!)

for better mod and xm compatibility, I strongly suggest to try Milkytracker.

and RandomSkratch, as you are not a programmer, then you really cannot understand why it is so hard to obtain 100% compatibility. And believe me when I say it is hard to do.