How do I make the sustain pedal affect samples?

How do I make the sustain pedal affect samples?

through midi binding it to whatever you want to control? Dunno how such a pedal works, but if it is controlled through midi it should be recognized in the preferences…than ctrl+m and select what you want to have affected by it?

If your pedal transmit MIDI CC messages, it’s like Djeroek says: pretty much anything.

For example, a piano sustain-like effect can recreated by defining an instrument macro that control the release time of an ADHSR device (in the modulation chain).

You can record the movements too (automation), by adding an Instr. Macro device to a track. Renoise needs such a device in order to “connect” the instrument with a specific track.

Is there a video that shows how to do this? If there’s one thing I’ve learned, it’s that V3 cannot be learned by tinkering, manuals and videos MUST be watched to make it usable.

If your pedal transmit MIDI CC messages, it’s like Djeroek says: pretty much anything.

For example, a piano sustain-like effect can recreated by defining an instrument macro that control the release time of an ADHSR device (in the modulation chain).

You can record the movements too (automation), by adding an Instr. Macro device to a track. Renoise needs such a device in order to “connect” the instrument with a specific track.

Let me be honest here: You just spoke hebrew. I have no idea what you’re talking about.

How do I make releasing the sustain pedal send note-offs?

How do I make releasing the sustain pedal send note-offs?

I’m assuming that the pedal sends a series of MIDI CC message (MIDI sustain being nothing special, just a number). You can check this by connecting the pedal and switching to the MIDI tab. You should see a series of incoming messages each time you move the pedal.

The sustain pedal can’t magically send a note-off (though, if this is really what you want I could improvise a script/tool for you that would enable this behavior).

Instead, and more close to how actual sustain works, you would be using the incoming value to controlling the release of the instrument

Steps to create a MIDI controlled variable release stage

Prerequisites: try loading a simple string instrument such as the MS20 Saw from the Renoise > Instrument > Elements folder

1. Adding** an AHDSR device to **your instrument

1. Go to the sampler > modulation tab
  2. If not already selected, choose the volume domain (“Vol”)
  3. In the device list, double-click “AHDSR” (“Attack-Hold-Decay-Sustain-Release”) to add it
  4. Adjust the device, find suitable values

2. Map the release parameter to a macro

1. Still inside the modulation tab, click on button inside the first macro. The macro mapping dialog appears
  2. Then click on the target parameter(s). In this case, release in the AHDSR device
  3. Adjust the minimum and maximum values, and possibly, the scale.

3. MIDI-map vs. automate/record-enabled macro

If you have followed the steps in this guide, the instrument should now have a releaseparameter you can tweak while playing -

1. To MIDI map it, press CMD/CTRL+M to bring up the MIDI mapping dialog
  2. While the instrument editor is visible, click on the macro assigned to release
  3. Move the pedal to map the CC to the macro. Close the MIDI mapping dialog.
  4. You should now have interactive control of the release phase of the instrument.

This is all fine for live performing, but it won’t allow you to record your movements - you need an extra step for that. The problem is, automation data is always recorded into tracks, and so far we haven’t dealt with tracks at all. Time to change that!

But first, let’s clear the MIDI mapping we just created.

1. Once more, we open the MIDI mapping dialog (CMD/CTRL+M), and select the release macro that we just mapping to the pedal.
  2. In the MIDI mapping dialog, hit “clear”. This should remove the mapping.

OK, now we want to map our parameter via an Instr. Macro device

1. Head into the pattern editor (F1 - Edit tab) and select the track where we should record our automation.
  2. Make sure the lower toolbar is displaying the DSP chain, and add a “Instr. Macros” type device.to the track
  3. The newly inserted device might be pointing to the wrong instrument? Please check, and correct if this is the case.
  4. Now, with the Instr. Macro device properly inserted into a track, we just need to MIDI map the parameter.This is basically the same approach as before, bringing up the MIDI mapping dialog - only, this time we select the parameter from the Instr. Macro device, and not the macro located inside the instrument.