Are you going to offer official paid classes?

Are you ever going to offer official classes to learn Renoise? Live tutorials? Ways of learning Renoise in an interactive way?

Your program has reached a level that it’s no longer possible for me to learn this on my unless I somehow acquired the mindset required to effectively and efficiently learn CLI-basd programs. There is nothing harder for me than learning a CLI-based program. It’s about memorizing terminology that’s often separate from the subject that’s at hand (in this case, it’s separate from the terminology usually used in music theory) and then applying it to a bunch of text that gives dictionary descriptions of functions.

I can’t deal with this. I can’t seem to learn this. This program has become too complex and options placed so haphazardly for me to learn it on my own anymore. I’ve become too frustrated. Every little tiny thing I have to look up now with this new version, and I’ve been using Renoise since at least 2004. This is incredibly frustrating.

With the way I write music, I’m questioning whether I should even be using tracker-based programs anymore. I want to think like a musician when I’m writing music, not like a hacker.

Maybe there’s someone that would be willing to do a TeamViewer session along with Skype and walk me through some things. I’m just so incredibly frustrated and it’s making me feel like I have a really low IQ. It’s actually depressing me. I can’t stand putting on a CLI-mindset/philosophy, I’m so terrible at it, I’m so unskilled at it. I’m the worst person for memorizing lyrics, for instance. For me, music programs are all about the visuals, the audibles, and the numbers/percentages.

I don’t know what to do.

Dont beat yourself up too much man, everything takes time to learn. I have a friend who is starting to learn the guitar, and she is having similar issues - in that she find its just too hard! But it could be that you have exceptioanlly high expectations.

This is a pretty supportive forum, there will be someone who can help you!

After being a little cynical initially, I`ve found Renoise 3 to be pretty intuative once you give it some time.

What is it you are trying to achieve? What instruments are you recording? Where does renoise fit into your music making?

I want to be able to do most things through midi, and without having to spend hours and hours programming and re-routing and all that in ways that you can’t see visually because that’s not how Renoise works.

I’d like to be able to do smooth slides using midi, live while I’m playing. A basic function in most music programs.

I’d like to be able to play a sample like I would a midi or VST instrument–using the sustain pedal.

I’d like to be able to decently and accurately and quickly enter notes live with my midi keyboard. If I turn on the quantize options, it’s a joke and is never, ever usable. I can’t make anything accurate entering notes live using any quantize options, so I have to enter it with all the variable timingds and then spend a half an hour editing a track to get it to sound halfway decent.

There’s no option to my knowledge to hear the notes on the current line while hearing a new note that’s being recorded onto the track also on the current line. You either hear one or the other.

There’s no way to play the current line in a way that skips lines like if you entered a note or hit the delete key (step length), so if you want to enter notes and a song is already expanded, there’s no way to hear what’s there while entering notes UNLESS you enter the notes live, and then it’s time to spend a half an hour editing it so it’s usable. It’s so freaking cumbersome, it takes forever to enter a melody line because it’s impossible to do when not in the skip-line (step length) mode, and entering it live means tons of editing afterwards.

I want to be able to play VST instruments, external MIDI, and samples (samples would usually be some sort of live drums from something), and I want to be able to enter the notes with midi in an accurate fashion. I want to be able to put effects on those samples and VST instruments. I’d really love something I could feasibly record vocals with, but Renoise is NOT the interface for that–I can record, but it doesn’t insert it into the song at the point in which I start recording, so I have to spend 15 minutes getting the sample edited and placed just perfectly into the song–not worth the hassle to try to record vocals with as a result.

Dont beat yourself up too much man, everything takes time to learn. I have a friend who is starting to learn the guitar, and she is having similar issues - in that she find its just too hard! But it could be that you have exceptioanlly high expectations.

This is a pretty supportive forum, there will be someone who can help you!

After being a little cynical initially, I`ve found Renoise 3 to be pretty intuative once you give it some time.

What is it you are trying to achieve? What instruments are you recording? Where does renoise fit into your music making?

If you’re wondering what I’m trying to do right now, it’s little things at a time. I’m just trying to find options.

Right now I can’t find the option to make Renoise try to guess the best loop point. All I can find is this crossfade option, that while being a good option, doesn’t replace Renoise being able to find a loop point.

Maybe this is the wrong forum to say this, and I really don’t know what the Renoise team does in terms of technical writing and instructional writing, so I’m coming in completely blind, but …

If you guys are caught completely short on instructional design, and you’re looking for someone who can help you make head or tail of a plan for writing this stuff? Drop me a PM or respond to this post. It’s actually something I know a bit about and I’d be happy to help. I don’t actually have problems in the way that Kizzume does, but I totally understand that kind of frustration (and I’ve seen it in classes I teach, which means that I need to take a deep breath and listen to my students).

I think with the right approach, we can make Renoise the easiest darned music program out there, simply because everyone knows so much about how to use it. And that would be awesome.

If you’re wondering what I’m trying to do right now, it’s little things at a time. I’m just trying to find options.

Right now I can’t find the option to make Renoise try to guess the best loop point. All I can find is this crossfade option, that while being a good option, doesn’t replace Renoise being able to find a loop point.

And the reason why I can’t find it is because THEY’VE PURPOSELY REMOVED IT. The crossfade option is NOT a replacement for this! Good going guys, way to sabotage your own software.

Can’t really comment on the midi stuff as I don’t use renoise that way, afaik it is lightyears away from traditional sequencers like cubase dealing with quantization and recording. There is still no native mode for overdubbing, live recording with empty or cloned patterns automatically being added (something like; http://www.renoise.com/tools/auto-clone-patterns ).

Also about recording smooth slides, I think the automation needs to get an overhaul, being able to set a higher resolution for recorded changes or have them interpolate through an envelope instead of recording in point mode by default. You know you can record midi controlled parameter changes inside the automation editor instead of the pattern editor, right? (toggled through the icon left of Q, bottom of the pattern editor)

There’s no option to my knowledge to hear the notes on the current line while hearing a new note that’s being recorded onto the track also on the current line. You either hear one or the other.

You want to be able to input a sound through midi or computer keyboard (when the song isn’t playing), and while pressed and being recorded on the cursor, have all the other note events in the particular row in different tracks playing as well? Sounds like a good feature suggestion! Nice alternative recording mode to find harmonies in melodies more easily, offsetting the recorded note to what is already present on that line in the pattern. Right now you’d enter the note, move the cursor to the entered note and press enter to hear the complete row.

There’s no way to play the current line in a way that skips lines like if you entered a note or hit the delete key (step length), so if you want to enter notes and a song is already expanded, there’s no way to hear what’s there while entering notes UNLESS you enter the notes live, and then it’s time to spend a half an hour editing it so it’s usable. It’s so freaking cumbersome, it takes forever to enter a melody line because it’s impossible to do when not in the skip-line (step length) mode, and entering it live means tons of editing afterwards.

Yep, recording and playback is separated when stepping through the pattern when a song isn’t playing. What helps me here is relying on keyboard shortcuts that step through the pattern so I can quickly move around to the places that need changes. F9 to F12 are very handy for fast traveling across sections (same for home and end keys), move the cursor, pressing enter or other playback keys to review what was recorded, make changes and review again.

Your suggestion sounds like a good recording alternative, next to the traditional, non-realtime tracker way of entering notes, though ‘half an hour’ editing is definitely an exaggeration. Do you use keyboard shortcuts at all?

I want to be able to play VST instruments, external MIDI, and samples (samples would usually be some sort of live drums from something), and I want to be able to enter the notes with midi in an accurate fashion. I want to be able to put effects on those samples and VST instruments. I’d really love something I could feasibly record vocals with, but Renoise is NOT the interface for that–I can record, but it doesn’t insert it into the song at the point in which I start recording, so I have to spend 15 minutes getting the sample edited and placed just perfectly into the song–not worth the hassle to try to record vocals with as a result.

Something like reaper sounds better suited for what you’re trying to do.

I do the adjusting of the delay column, and I do the adjusting of where the notes are placed with backspace and insert. When the song has been expanded and is playing at a fast tempo, like if the pattern is somewhere around 300 lines, this indeed CAN take a half an hour to get it to sound right–usually it’s more like about 10 minutes, but it HAS taken me a half an hour before. So yes, I guess it was an exaggeration.

I can’t just jump to a place in the pattern, that wouldn’t help me at all, those kinds of keyboard shortcuts I know about, but they’re useless to me. I need to be able to count out what I’m doing, and if I can’t count it, I can’t process it, which means I can’t enter a melody at all and MUST use live input, OR, I can clone the current pattern, shrink the pattern however many times necessary, then enter the melody in ways I can somewhat hear it with the rest of the song, then copy the melody from it, paste it into the block (EDIT: oops, I mean pattern) I actually want it in, and then expand it afterward. That’s a real pain the ass.

I’ll look into reaper as well. Thanks so much.