Introducing "Renoise Downloads"

We are happy to introduce “Renoise Downloads”, a place for sharing all manner of Renoise-related files.
Link: Renoise Downloads (front page)

It’s basically free file hosting - the only requirement is that you have a Renoise forum account.
Once registered, you can share upload instruments, songs, effect presets, modulation sets, doofers, phrases, even visual themes for Renoise.

If you are looking for scripts that expand the functionality of Renoise (tools), please visit this page

Here are the elements that make up a download

ipdownloads-file-display.png?raw=1

The maximum file size has been set to 64MB*, and only file formats which are specifically relevant to Renoise are accepted (so you can not upload a .zip archive, for example). The only exception to this rule is that the site will accept MP3 files, which you can use for providing a audio-preview.
Also, you can provide a “cover image”, which will be used as a miniature thumbnail throughout the site, with a full-size version available on the download page.

• This limit is enforced per file, so with the maximum of 20 individual files you could provide over 1GB in a single download.

Selecting the right license
As part of the upload process, you will have the ability to select a license for your content.
So far, we offer the following license types: Public Domain , Creative Commons (all basic types) and Custom License (basically, any license that isn’t one of the former).

The advanced search feature of the forum should have the license type integrated, and thus make it easy to find content with a specific license.

Rating and commenting
As you can see from the picture above, a rating system is built into the download page. From the downloads main page, you can see which files are the highest rated by the community, etc.
But just as important, each download is accompanied by a unique topic which is automatically generated when a new file download is created. This should make it pretty straightforward to discuss any particular download, and subscribe to it’s topic (especially useful if you are the provider of the download).

“Ideas and suggestions”
This new download section is pretty basic: we offer hard disk space and a platform for presenting your creative work.
And we are planning to promote this site in a number of ways. For example, by adding a prominent link on our web site (you know, renoise.com), writing about it in our blog, spamming it on facebook and so forth.
But it’s also a work in progress - if you have ideas on how Renoise Downloads could improved, or you are confused by how the licensing works, don’t be afraid to ask those questions, or put forward those suggestions…

Very nice! Looks great! Gonna test it immediately.

EDIT:

Hate to be the first, but: Audio preview is not working in Safari on OS X (both most recent version).

Niiiiiiice :drummer:

Nifty addition to the forum… I’d like if everything from a user was available in one list, with a download link on each row (no need to browse back and forward).

If you’re using drupal (?) that would be really easy to fix using ‘views’.

Very very nice!
Do you plan to merge the tool repository into this download portal?

Cool!

wow, this is :drummer:

Hate to be the first, but: Audio preview is not working in Safari on OS X (both most recent version).

Hm, yes, the mp3 files that are uploaded are being renamed and served with another file extension right now.

From what I can gather it would affect Safari on iOS as well,due to the browser blocking any file with another file extension than mp3.

This is of course a bit annoying, because it’s a totally understandable thing to do.

Thank you very much for this service. It is much needed.

I would like to suggest that it be integrated in some way with the forum.

Yessssssss :drummer:

This is SO awesome! I absolutely love this! This is a great way for people to see how others work and get some new ideas!!

Awesome stuff :yeah:I Kinda agree that tools should also be on this page.

48278406.jpg

i think instruments need more categories, Drums, Bass, Fx, Keys, and so on

Wowowow :o aw

I will soon start populating dis “Renoise Downloads” -thingie

This kind of a accelerates my upcoming set of new instruments, because I was not yet sure how to present them on my own homepage.

Thanks !!! :wub:

• 1 for tools integration as well.

I see there is no entry for samples on the dl page, probably because that would have non-renoise people registering the forum just to dl and rip those…would like to such an entry though just for ‘bare’ sounds not using any envelopes/dsp chains. A solution to cut down on bandwidth would be to have a sample section only available to those with a Renoise license and keep 'em flac’s?

Than have the old loopproject content from Mick Rippon’s site imported, which would already be a substantial library to work with :-).

Also back in the days, there used to be a song dl page on the Renoise site, will those tracks see the light of day again in this new format?

Very very nice!
Do you plan to merge the tool repository into this download portal?

Not right now, no. Tools will continue to exist in their own space for the foreseeable future.

But, let’s see where this thing goes?

i think instruments need more categories, Drums, Bass, Fx, Keys, and so on

I’m sure you know, but you can use tags to define there things.

IMO tags are perfect, as they do not try to force you into a specific genre or existing category. Clownstep? no problem :clownstep:

I see there is no entry for samples on the dl page […]

Than have the old loopproject content from Mick Rippon’s site imported, which would already be a substantial library to work with :-).

Also back in the days, there used to be a song dl page on the Renoise site, will those tracks see the light of day again in this new format?

Standalone samples: we deliberately avoided this - way too easy to exploit our limited server bandwidth if we were serving non-renoise files.

I think (x)rni’s provide a pretty good alternative, as you can expand an instrument in the browser, preview samples and drag them from instrument to instrument.

As for Renoise resources, andthe old song section “back in the day”… would be cool if we could at least port some of the content over :slight_smile:

cool,

something else, when clicking on the contributers name, you’re taken to their profile page. How about making the contributions also visible there, someway? I wouldn’t mind seeing a paypal icon on a contributers page, so I can busk a few dollars at someone providing fresh sounds. Might be an extra incentive for content creators to share their stuff?

D’oh, I just discovered that new uploads were set to be manually approved by moderator.

This is NOT how we want it to work. Basically, you can create your download and it should appear instantly.

If the content is then flagged as inappropriate, it might get taken down. But that’s another story…

So, several new downloads were waiting in line to be approved: effect presets, song, instruments. awesome!!

cool,

something else, when clicking on the contributers name, you’re taken to their profile page. How about making the contributions also visible there, someway? I wouldn’t mind seeing a paypal icon on a contributers page, so I can busk a few dollars at someone providing fresh sounds. Might be an extra incentive for content creators to share their stuff?

Hm, I think this had to do with the files not being approved (a mistake on my part). Because, if you go to your own profile, you should see a “files” section.

Additionally, the “find content”, or “my content” links show there files downloads as well…so pretty easy to find stuff.

As for “monetizing” the content, we have tried to come up with something that doesn’t prevent you from asking money for your creations, but without offering actual payment options. I could easily myself dressing up my profile page to contain a paypal donate button if I wanted to.

Another option would be to use Renoise downloads as a way to offer free, limited versions of commercial content. For example, if you had a multisampled drumkit you could offer a single-velocity version free of charge.

Possible bug: this page features tags from Djeroeks download?!

Seems all the topics waiting to be approved have gotten the same tags.

However, I just released another download that seems to work fine, so maybe the problem has gone away

Edit: manually fixed tags for the affected pages