Response to: If you never (forum is messing up)

Ok, I can’t post here. It’s not working. Let me try just NOT pasting what’s in my WordPad that I’ve been trying to post a response since a couple days ago. Then if it actually works, I’ll have to upload a text file to my server and paste a link to it here, if it will let me, which is silly, but whatever.

Alright, I’ll have to put the text file on my server and post it there. This forum is messed up.

Here’s my response that the forum won’t let me post: http://kizzume.com/re-noise.txt

There was a {quote} that was missing, maybe that’s why it wouldn’t post? I’m going to try again with the quote not missing…

Nope, that didn’t work either. Why isn’t this forum letting me post this?

If I’ve pasted that, and I hit “more reply options”, it gives me a blank page. If I start a new thread and hit “preview post”, it gives me a blank page. If I haven’t pasted that, it works fine. I still don’t think I have the formatting quite right on it, but the forum won’t let me preview it.

i posted this with chrome. no edits done. just try again?

You are awesome for being so detailed and verbose and helping me with this.

I have felt for so long that nothing I said meant anything. I really, truly appreciate this.

danoise, on 25 Aug 2014 - 06:41 AM, said:

Now, if someone from the Renoise team was to say “this is not important to us”, wouldn’t that be exactly what you are looking for - a clear statement that something will not make into the software? I mean, instead of teasing with “hey, yeah, that’s a really good idea. Let’s see what we can do about it” ?

Right now, I would probably do as people here suggest, take a break from a software that is obviously frustrating you. I know you have produced amazing music on Renoise in the past, so it’s a bit funny that things can go this way…

However, if you are willing to at least read and discuss the available options, let’s look at what you brought up

If I’m not mistaken, that sounds exactly like pattern follow (Scroll Lock, or the little 3.0_transportpanel-patternfollow.png icon in the transport).
(Btw: among the first things I suggest people should learn in my proposal for a revised quickstart guide).

I mean for it to play what’s on the current line like when you hit the enter key. The option so no matter how I scroll up and down with the arrow keys, it always plays what’s on the current line.

In preferences > Keys you have the alternative shortcuts “Move to Next/Previous Row with Editstep”.
By default, this is assigned to CMD/CTRL + SHIFT + Up/Down, but you can change that yourself.

I’m talking about making the arrow keys be affected by step length.

You mean, when controlling a plugin? Because for sample-based instruments, some workarounds exist (check this link).
For plugins, I’m thinking that smoothing is something the plugin should handle itself.

Most of that is Hebrew to me, and the bits I can understand show that it’s not something I can do using the midi pitch bender, I have to sit there for many minutes adjusting each slide.

My full answer to that is located in this topic
https://forum.renoise.com/t/how-do-i-make-the-sustain-pedal-affect-samples/42099

Thanks for that. For me it’s like typing some long 20 word command in a CLI, I have no idea what I’m doing, I’m not understanding the logical progression that it’s taking. There’s nothing simple or straightforward about it. I don’t even understand what the result is supposed to be if it’s not going to send a note-off command. What would it even do? What would all that work accomplish?

If you could create that script, that’d be truly wonderful. Granted, I must admit that I personally don’t understand why this sort of thing hasn’t been in the program for years.

It’s a bit specialized I think, but I have made something called the Recorder, which will automatically insert recently recorded notes. Mostly an experimental thing I made for improvising with a friend of mine. You probably don’t want to waste time on this tool, but what you suggest is entirely possible to script.

That’d be great if someone scripted it, but that kind of basic option should honestly be in the program by default. Don’t go halfway with recording options. Right now it’s like it’s an unfinished option. If I want to record a vocal line using Renoise, it really truly is a major pain. It takes several minutes to do something that should be less than a few seconds. Getting a sample placed in the right spot really, truly is hard to do in Renoise. Making accurate multi-part harmonies is really impossible to do because of it. I have to use outside software, and to me I shouldn’t have to do that.

Hey, I count three suggestions in one line :wink: Yes, the “chord” mode is now specified per instrument, which is far better IMHO - but it would seem that we forgot to add a keyboard shortcut.

What do you mean?

Regarding note-quantize, it’s tricky stuff. I definitely agree that realtime recording of e.g. piano could use some refinement. But if we are talking about “quantize that change notes to snap to nearest line in both directions”, then this is a bit tricky. Right now, if you want a 1:1 relationship between what you hear and what gets recorded, try setting input quantize in the instrument as well?

I have no idea what you mean by that.

Ah yeah, good one. Instrument phrases could use this too (hell, why not even more lines?).

Awesome. Awesome.

Were there any problems posting it? Did you have to do something special to post it?

I have felt for so long that nothing I said meant anything. I really, truly appreciate this.

Now, if someone from the Renoise team was to say “this is not important to us”, wouldn’t that be exactly what you are looking for - a clear statement that something will not make into the software? I mean, instead of teasing with “hey, yeah, that’s a really good idea. Let’s see what we can do about it” ?

Right now, I would probably do as people here suggest, take a break from a software that is obviously frustrating you. I know you have produced amazing music on Renoise in the past, so it’s a bit funny that things can go this way…

However, if you are willing to at least read and discuss the available options, let’s look at what you brought up

If I’m not mistaken, that sounds exactly like pattern follow (Scroll Lock, or the little 3.0_transportpanel-patternfollow.png icon in the transport).
(Btw: among the first things I suggest people should learn in my proposal for a revised quickstart guide).

I mean for it to play what’s on the current line like when you hit the enter key. The option so no matter how I scroll up and down with the arrow keys, it always plays what’s on the current line.

In preferences > Keys you have the alternative shortcuts “Move to Next/Previous Row with Editstep”.
By default, this is assigned to CMD/CTRL + SHIFT + Up/Down, but you can change that yourself.

You mean, when controlling a plugin? Because for sample-based instruments, some workarounds exist (check this link).
For plugins, I’m thinking that smoothing is something the plugin should handle itself.

Most of that is Hebrew to me, and the bits I can understand show that it’s not something I can do using the midi pitch bender, I have to sit there for many minutes adjusting each slide.

https://forum.renoise.com/t/how-do-i-make-the-sustain-pedal-affect-samples/42099

Thanks for that. For me it’s like typing some long 20 word command in a CLI, I have no idea what I’m doing, I’m not understanding the logical progression that it’s taking. There’s nothing simple or straightforward about it. I don’t even understand what the result is supposed to be if it’s not going to send a note-off command. What would it even do? What would all that work accomplish?

If you could create that script, that’d be truly wonderful. Granted, I must admit that I personally don’t understand why this sort of thing hasn’t been in the program for years.

It’s a bit specialized I think, but I have made something called the Recorder, which will automatically insert recently recorded notes. Mostly an experimental thing I made for improvising with a friend of mine. You probably don’t want to waste time on this tool, but what you suggest is entirely possible to script.

That’d be great if someone scripted it, but that kind of basic option should honestly be in the program by default. Don’t go halfway with recording options. Right now it’s like it’s an unfinished option. If I want to record a vocal line using Renoise, it really truly is a major pain. It takes several minutes to do something that should be less than a few seconds. Getting a sample placed in the right spot really, truly is hard to do in Renoise. Making accurate multi-part harmonies is really impossible to do because of it. I have to use outside software, and to me I shouldn’t have to do that.

Hey, I count three suggestions in one line :wink: Yes, the “chord” mode is now specified per instrument, which is far better IMHO - but it would seem that we forgot to add a keyboard shortcut.

What do you mean?

Regarding note-quantize, it’s tricky stuff. I definitely agree that realtime recording of e.g. piano could use some refinement. But if we are talking about “quantize that change notes to snap to nearest line in both directions”, then this is a bit tricky. Right now, if you want a 1:1 relationship between what you hear and what gets recorded, try setting input quantize in the instrument as well?

Ah yeah, good one. Instrument phrases could use this too (hell, why not even more lines?).

Awesome. Awesome.

Ok, whatever problem was happening on the forum for the past 2 days, and even just 15 minutes ago, seems to be gone. I’m going to try one more time.

What do you mean?

Awesome. Awesome.

nothing special that i noticed. if you quote my post and then remove my text then it should be postable i figure.

might be that you “cleaned” out unseen characters by posting it in to a txt-file.

classic move at my work: pasting in windows notepad and the selecting in notepad and copy. gets rid of some weird formatting most of the time.

Yeah, it seems to just be working now. I don’t know why until now, for the past couple days, it didn’t work. When I would go to actually hit post, it would tell me “saving post” and would remain that indefinitely. If I went to “preview post” it would give me a blank page, and the same with “most post options”–blank page, I’d lose everything I typed, which is why I started saving it to WordPad.

yeah, probably some weird formatting that got a long for the ride. :slight_smile: