Language Mistakes in the Interface Tips

Greetings!

Here is a couple of things I don’t like:

1. Too many punctuation mistakes (sometimes spelling mistakes) in Linux FAQ.
  2. The PDF version of the Renoise manual lacks many icons and other descriptive elements.
  3. Many punctuation mistakes in the program tips.
  4. Some stated key combinations in the tips not in accord with the truth.

I’m probably a compulsive maniac. But keep in mind this: I LOVE Renoise!

Sincerely,

Artur

Instead of criticizing mistakes, why don`t you help out by correcting them?

Well, just spit out the list of examples so that we can start correcting them :)

Greetings!

Here are a few language mistakes committed (it’s been a long time, but it’s better late then no):

1. The Repeat the Current Pattern button in the upper part of the window; the tip text says this: “Enable, to play and repeat the current pattern only.” Well, it should be this: “Enable this function to play and repeat the current pattern only.” (The verb needs an object and no comma allowed; see down there for a broader explanation.)
  2. The Scroll button; the tip text says this: “Enable, to follow the player’s […]”, To tell the truth, it should say more or less this: “Enable this function to follow the player’s […]” (Again, the verb needs an object and no comma allowed; see down there for a broader explanation.)
  3. The Block Loop Size Amount button; the tip text says this: Block loop size, in a fraction of a pattern.” It should read this: “Block loop size–in a fraction of a pattern.” or just this: “Block loop size in a fraction of a pattern.” (Set that important piece of information with a dash or just use no punctuation.)

I’ll let you know if I find more of those.

Now, a simple grammar course. Some English verbs take an object, some do not, and some act both the ways; there’s no rule to that; it has to be learned by heart or checked in a dictionary. You cannot JUST enable; you always have to enable SOMETHING. (The verb enable is ONLY a transitive verb: it always takes an object.)

Secondly, English adverbs need no comma if used in their natural position; more than that, they never take a comma, or the sentence makes no full sense:

“Enable this, to achieve that.” could then be cut down to “Enable this.” (you’re always allowed to omit the part set off by the commas WITHOUT destroying the essential meaning of the sentence). However, “Enable this to achieve that.” and “Enable this” are essentially two different meanings: that is why you cannot put a comma in there.

On the other hand, if the order of the adverb (this one is the adverb of purpose, precisely) is changed—typically shoving the adverb into the beginning of the sentence—then you do use a comma, like this: “To achieve that, enable this.” (Precisely, the comma isn’t deadly necessary, but always correct (and typically very useful)).

OK! Please don’t be angry for that little amount of university; I always do it for the greatness of Renoise. I love the program and hence comes my criticism.

Sincerely,
Artur :walkman:

In 1 & 2 The objects (“this”) are implicit. Also, the statement “you’re always allowed to omit the part set off by the commas WITHOUT destroying the essential meaning of the sentence” is false. Otherwise, this sentance wouldn’t be valid.

In 3 the comma is seperating parenthetical info, which is a correct usage (but that info could have been in parenthesis instead). Anyway…

What program are you using to open the .pdf?

I’ve found some .pdf viewers on Linux fail to display images that the Adobe Reader shows correctly.

Greetings!

I use really a Linux pdf viewer: Okular (and that one is a problem sometimes) and Acrobat Reader (that one’s better).

Sincerely,

Artur

Greetings to Renoise Team!

I’m not sure if my previous post on this reached you because I add a next response to an old topic of mine. So, If that thing is known to you already, just trash this one. (And, please, take my apology for wasting your time!)

So, here it goes:

Here are a few language mistakes committed (it’s been a long time, but it’s better late then no):

1. The Repeat the Current Pattern button in the upper part of the window; the tip text says this: “Enable, to play and repeat the current pattern only.” Well, it should be this: “Enable this function to play and repeat the current pattern only.” (The verb needs an object and no comma allowed; see down there for a broader explanation.)
  2. The Scroll button; the tip text says this: “Enable, to follow the player’s […]”, To tell the truth, it should say more or less this: “Enable this function to follow the player’s […]” (Again, the verb needs an object and no comma allowed; see down there for a broader explanation.)
  3. The Block Loop Size Amount button; the tip text says this: Block loop size, in a fraction of a pattern.” It should read this: “Block loop size–in a fraction of a pattern.” or just this: “Block loop size in a fraction of a pattern.” (Set that important piece of information with a dash or just use no punctuation.)

I’ll let you know if I find more of those.

Now, a simple grammar course. Some English verbs take an object, some do not, and some act both the ways; there’s no rule to that; it has to be learned by heart or checked in a dictionary. You cannot JUST enable; you always have to enable SOMETHING. (The verb enable is ONLY a transitive verb: it always takes an object.)

Secondly, English adverbs need no comma if used in their natural position; more than that, they never take a comma, or the sentence makes no full sense:

“Enable this, to achieve that.” could then be cut down to “Enable this.” (you’re always allowed to omit the part set off by the commas WITHOUT destroying the essential meaning of the sentence). However, “Enable this to achieve that.” and “Enable this” are essentially two different meanings: that is why you cannot put a comma in there.

On the other hand, if the order of the adverb (this one is the adverb of purpose, precisely) is changed—typically shoving the adverb into the beginning of the sentence—then you do use a comma, like this: “To achieve that, enable this.” (Precisely, the comma isn’t deadly necessary, but always correct (and typically very useful)).

OK! Please don’t be angry for that little amount of university; I always do it for the greatness of Renoise. I love the program and hence comes my criticism.

Sincerely,
Artur

I’m not sure if my previous post on this reached you (…)

It did, and the grammatical errors have been corrected for the next update. Thanks for reporting.

I don’t want to be that guy, but some of these corrections are superfluous. While I agree that the comma must be removed, the sentence "Enable, to play and repeat the current pattern only"is perfectly fine, because the object is implied. This goes for points one and two.

Hi there,

I’ve never heard or read about implied objects in English, but it’s not out of question that you heard or read more than me. So, if your sure about those implied objects, I’m ready to follow.

Sincerely,

Artur :walkman: