Advice for mixer for home recording?

Hi there,

I am in the process of getting a mixer for my humble recording demands and I was wondering if anyone could help me by giving some experience reports or so.

Basically, I need a mixer to extend my currently used Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface, so I don’t have to switch plugs all the time. I want to connect 2-3 mice, on e-drumset, 1 guitar, and possibly 1-2 other line in devices. Flexible routing is important, since I need to send a different mix to the inputs of the Scarlett audio device than the mix that reaches the headphones for tracking. (That is, the headphone mix needs the mix sent to recording plus the playback that comes back from the computer).

After some research I discovered two mixers that would fit (both are around 300 Euro):

1. Mackie 1204VLZ4 (http://www.thomann.de/gb/mackie_1202_vlz4.htm)
  • Onyx Preamps

• 4 channel inserts (to maybe add a compressors in the future; unlikely though)

• Good build-quality

• Clear visual appearance

• Tape in level is not adjustable (so I might sacrifice a stereo channel for the computer return)

• No integrated FX

1. Allen & Heath ZED10FX (http://www.thomann.de/gb/allenheath_zed10fx.htm)
  • Included FX (Might be nice to add some FX for tracking? Not sure how important that is, though)

• Adjustable Playback (tape-in equivalent?) level

• Sweepable mids (not sure how important that is for recording purposes, though)

= Integrated 16 bit audio interface (well, I would not use that obviously)

• No inserts

• Only 2 stereo channels

Both mixers have hi-pass filters on the mic channels and 2 aux sends.

For some weird reason I sort of favour the Mackie (it’s really irrational), but I was wondering whether the mixing FX is a problem (I myself never missed reverb during tracking, but who knows…). Do you guys track a lot with FX?

Most importantly, however, is of course the sound quality! In particular, the mixer I will choose should have mic-preamps that are at least as good as the ones on the Scarlett! Does anyone have experiences with those preamps?

I would be very glad to get some advice from you guys!

I have no idea personally, but i’ll bump the topic for you anyway.

The Mackie Onyx preamps are excellent, I work in the pro audio industry both on the MI / retail side and also corporate AV and sound installation and our technical team could not believe how low the noise floor was on the Onyx / VLZ4 gear. The EQ is really nice too, very musical and doesn’t sound harsh or exaggerated if you do big boosts or cuts.

The Allen and Heath stuff has a great reputation too so I’d wager the pres on the ZED are of similar quality but I haven’t had first-hand experience.

Just so you’re aware, the vast majority of these types of mixers are designed for live sound rather than studio recording so they have plenty of ins but typically only have one main stereo out so you wont have much have flexibility on the outputs. The 1642VLZ4 has 8 ‘direct outs’ which would give you more flexibility - if you need it that is.