• Interests:Jepp

Posted 12 September 2014 - 19:03

File Name: Big Bloomer

File Submitter: TheBellows

File Submitted: 12 Sep 2014

File Category: Instruments

License: CC0, Public Domain

BB 4.0 Demo:

4.0, has no macros for the envelope, so you have to set it manually in the mod set. There is a key tracked comb filter on the pressure switch and HiPass filter on the mod wheel.
Rest of the macros should be pretty self explanatory.

Shelf cancels the effect of the trancegate when all the way up, while the TranceGate macro itself only controls the speed of the gate (32-16-8-6-3-2-1).

Big Bloomer 2.0 is a synth using tuned ringmods to create the waveforms. It can create a huge variety of sounds from leads to cymbals. Chuch bell, supersaw etc.

8 macro controllers:
Oscillator - Choose between the five ringmod waveshapes.
Portamento - I don't really know the difference between portamento and glissando and all that, but it's basically just the inertia of the ringmods.
Bloom - 10 voices that spreads along the knob, that almost sounds dirty doesn't it? They start at 0 with no spread and spreads further apart up to 100.
Attack - This sounds more aggresive than it is, actually i find it rather soothing.
Hold - Yes, you may hold it for as long as you like. You naughty boy.
Decay/Release - Decay and release in the same knob isn't that bad. Hmmm, what happened to the sustain? Yeah about that, there was no room for a sustain, but at least you can use pattern commands or gainers to achieve mostly the same effect.
Chord Mode - There are two voices that aren't affected by the "Bloom" and those two are set to different notes to make chords, between 50 and 52 is no chord.
Chorus - Chorus effect made by adding a chorus dsp to each of the twelve voices and distributed unevenly in the macro.

If you experience clicks, most noticeable with sine waves, add a little attack if you have none. Then make shure its envelope does not crash with the next time it triggers, or alternatively hold it untill next trigger with a g00 command. Use note offs and adjust the sus/rel knob to make the envelope reset.
Included is a demo track of the BB in use, here's the MP3 preview:

Here's the thread for Big Bloomer the original version: http://forum.renoise.com/index.php/topic/41017-30-xrnsi-big-bloomer-12-voice-monophonic-synth-instrument/

Added a version 3.0 with the new ringmod and some different macro settings. It has an volume AHDSR in the modulation not connected to macros, so you'll have to go in there and adjust it manually. There are some effects going on in the modulation wheel and the pressure switch, if you don't like them you can simply delete pretty much every dsp in FX chain#13.

BB 3.1 Lite
Made another version that uses less CPU and no mumbo jumbo phaser/chorus thingy, but a LP filter on the mod wheel macro and a tuned comb filter on the pressure switch just for variation.
IMO this one is a lot more useful and better than last version, more similar to a real synth, so if you liked the last one you shouldn't stay away from this just because i named it lite, it's actually meant as an improved version. :)

Click here to download this file

• KURTZ likes this

Join the Mutant Breaks #10 competition: http://forum.renoise.com/index.php/topic/50588-mutant-breaks-10/

Deadline: Sunday, December 10th, 2017.   :badteethslayer: 

#2 xiiln909

xiiln909

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:deconstruction/ minimalism

Posted 13 September 2014 - 02:52

this is ace! thank you! love the track, btw.

• TheBellows likes this

#3 TheBellows

TheBellows

Guruh Motha Fakka is Levitating and Knows Everything About Renoise Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2424 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 16:44

Thanks xiiln, glad you liked it! 

Remember to vote guys, the voting system only works if people actually click on the stars.   ;) 

The download section is going to get crowdy, so to separate the good stuff from the not so good stuff will become a real pain if people don't vote.  :rolleyes:

Join the Mutant Breaks #10 competition: http://forum.renoise.com/index.php/topic/50588-mutant-breaks-10/

#4 saxlovesnightlife

saxlovesnightlife

• Normal Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:tracking, synthesis, pizza, bangs

Posted 12 May 2016 - 23:45

oh-my-god! thank you bro!!!! wonderful synth

I'll explore all of your instruments!

• TheBellows likes this

#5 TheBellows

TheBellows

• Normal Members
  • 2424 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 10:13

You should be aware that this is an instrument built on outdated DSPs. It does not work exactly like before and i suggest rendering any sound you are going to use as it's affected by a 'bug' in Renoise that alters the sound (kills the old ringmod DSP) after it's been playing for a longer period..

Edited by TheBellows, 14 May 2016 - 10:19.

• saxlovesnightlife likes this

#6 saxlovesnightlife

saxlovesnightlife

• Normal Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:tracking, synthesis, pizza, bangs

Posted 15 May 2016 - 03:41

thanks for the hint!

• TheBellows likes this

#7 TheBellows

TheBellows

• Normal Members
  • 2424 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 18:16

I just updated this to version 3.0 with the new ringmod that doesn't have the earlier mentioned bug. It's a bit different, but can still make some nice sounds and noises, almost a bit FMish at times.    :)

In practice it's monophobic, but with some polyphonic depth in the PreRing macro using the sine filter in the modulation.

Edited by TheBellows, 05 October 2016 - 18:28.

• danoise and robohymn like this

#8 TheBellows

TheBellows

• Normal Members
  • 2424 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 19:13

BB 3.1 Lite

Made another version that uses less CPU and no mumbo jumbo phaser/chorus thingy, but a LP filter on the mod wheel macro and a tuned comb filter on the pressure switch just for variation.

IMO this one is a lot more useful and better than last version, more similar to a real synth, so if you liked the last one you shouldn't stay away from this just because i named it lite, it's actually meant as an improved version. :)

I'm happy about the fact that by using this different approach and improved DSPs, the old artifacts caused by the DC or whatever is much less prominent.

Edited by TheBellows, 10 October 2016 - 19:18.

#9 dirtnoise

dirtnoise

• Normal Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 16:10

What a banger! 5/5 Thanks for sharing.

• TheBellows likes this

#10 TheBellows

TheBellows

• Normal Members
  • 2424 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 20:04

Added a new version, BigBloomer 4.0.

#11 danoise

danoise

Probably More God or Borg Than Human Member

• Renoise Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6458 posts
  • Interests:wildlife + urban trekking

Posted 22 October 2017 - 11:12

I like that you keep improving it! Big Bloomer is a VERY expressive instrument, and super fun to play.

Cool demo too. 

Decay and release in the same knob isn't that bad. Hmmm, what happened to the sustain? Yeah about that, there was no room for a sustain

I was just about to write "don't forget about the midi macros (pressure, mod-wheel and pitch-bend)" when I realized that I had just been using all three while demoing the thing. 

Haha, d'oh...

• TheBellows likes this

Tracking with Stuff. API wishlist | Soundcloud

#12 TheBellows

TheBellows

• Normal Members
  • 2424 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 12:08

I like that you keep improving it! Big Bloomer is a VERY expressive instrument, and super fun to play.

Cool demo too. 

I was just about to write "don't forget about the midi macros (pressure, mod-wheel and pitch-bend)" when I realized that I had just been using all three while demoing the thing. 

Haha, d'oh...

The new one, 4.0, has no macros for the envelope, so you have to set it manually in the mod set. There is also a key tracked comb filter on the pressure switch. 

All the descriptions of the macros are just silly jokes. They should be pretty self explanatory in the latest version so i didn't bother writing them down. :P

Shelf cancels the effect of the trancegate when all the way up, while the TranceGate macro itself only controls the speed of the gate (32-16-8-6-3-2-1).

Tip: Try adding som distortion, i like to add one shift  distortion followed by a fold distortion, especially on the sine mode. Cab simulator can also make some cool variations to the sound.

Edited by TheBellows, 22 October 2017 - 12:57.

#13 OopsIFly

OopsIFly

Guruh Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • Interests:...daydreams... -VS- ...propaganda...

Posted 25 October 2017 - 22:03

Played around with this thing, nice supersaw like sound, and the quasi free running action of the ringmod device makes this sound very organic. Maybe humanizing the inertia parameters can lively up the phase randomness even more and provide detune-ish glide-in effects? I loved playing around with this. Also added shift distortion, much drive, only little wet and full treble, at the right point on final mix chain to make it sound grittier. And changed the hipass to biquad with some reso for more expressionate mod wheel action. But for me every instrument is its own synth setup with its own tuning, so nice base for many options you have created.

Will soon put up a formula device where you can pitch perfect transpose, bend at will, lock to harmonics etc. the ringmod with a keytracker and macros, also the new 3.1 ringmod. Would you like it supporting a detune mode, how would you like to config it? (given one formula device 0.0-1.0 slider). Could make your synth support clean pitchbend, while maintaining detune, also, I love pitch bend action on my synths...

#14 TheBellows

TheBellows

• Normal Members
  • 2424 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 15:52

Maybe humanizing the inertia parameters can lively up the phase randomness even more and provide detune-ish glide-in effects?

You can easily do that by adding a random LFO to control the 'portamento'. 

A proper pitch would be great, as for now i use the portamento feature to pitch bend, just add notes you want to transpose to and then put a GFF command behind it.

If you can make one formula that has both the whole 120 note range and a pitch bender slider that offsets the note slider and a third slider that offsets the output of slider 2, then i see possibilities for improvement.

An example that would be very convenient:

Slider 1 = linear c-0 to b-9 

Slider 2 = offsets the output of slider 1 

Slider 3 = Offsets the ouput of slider 2

Resulting in one final signal that controls the note of the ringmod. This way i can hook up a keytracker to slider 1, make slider 2 work as the unison/spread feature and hook up slider 3 as the bitchbend. It's possible with custom LFOs, but would be very handy and simpler to set up and experiment with one formula device.

A slider to set the pitch range of slider 3 could also be nice, to save some time because you won't have to edit the macros to change pitch range and you could make a macro for it as well, changing the range on the fly.

#15 OopsIFly

OopsIFly

Guruh Member

• Normal Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • Interests:...daydreams... -VS- ...propaganda...

Posted 26 October 2017 - 19:26

yea massa, here ya go

look for the first formula device to tune parameters to taste. 0.5 is center for the two transposers, in the code window there are constants where you can set the ranges, and also transpose the whole shit.

sorry all the formula device warpings eat more perfomance than it would when using things straight.

But can transpose, bend and detune now, any range of notes, as long as frequency is within supported range of the ring mod (c-0 - 12 st to b9 + 12st) - so the extra cpu is for subtle profit :badteethslayer:

p.s. I meant not randomizing the inertia on global level, but giving each ringmod a slightly (or more than slightly...) different inertia. I tried it, it is the wow, in glides the notes first get detuned stronger and very hazey, then lock in again to focus at different phase relationships than before.

Attached Files

Edited by OopsIFly, 26 October 2017 - 19:28.

• TheBellows likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Super, Phat, Synth