Mics, microphones, that thing! halp

Hey everybody so pretty much I have no clue whatsoever about what kind of mic to get. Outside of that I live in a dorm room so I don’t really have access to making my place the best for acoustic treatment. <_< Honestly I’m just looking to take vocals with what you suggest and is best fit for my situation, as based per what you’ve heard and/or on your experiences.

As for any specificity I’m not looking to take any acoustic guitar sounds or instruments in general, just vocals.

Thanks in advance! :smiley:

mics.jpg

How much do you want to spend? Do you have a preamp?

I have about $200 USD at the most to spend(I can still save up if the mics you suggest go above that or get it used), I have a focusrite 2i4 that has phantom power.

I like the SM57 or SM58 (from Shure). They’re kinda-sorta the same (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/55747-sm57-vs-sm58.html).

Should cost ~ US $100.

But, from reading Tape Op magazine, it seems that different mics have differentpersonalities, andyou’dlikelyhave to try a few to see what you like best.

For your purpose (and surroundings), the SM57/58 is probably the best choice. No real need to spend more.

SM57 beta > SM58 (but it depends what range you voice sits in.)
Get to a store and try a few.

Ah well, thanks for all the replies everybody I went ahead and put it on amazon. And just like instruments they all have their own feel to them, now on to work!