Could layers improve your workflow?

Hello team and fellows, i´ve been thinking of a way to improve my workflow, when recording overdubs or just layering some ideas to compare and pick the best ones. Instead of having a 300 patterns song, duplicated or triplicated just to test some ideas, wouldnt it be easier if we could be able to add a new layer (per track) over the old one and try something different but keeping everything organized and a bit less megalomaniac (at least for the eyes)?

Thank you guys

A cool idea - I’d like to try it out. Maybe it could be implemented with some sort of A/B function for groups?

I think it would be quite awesome indeed.

Imagine a patterntrack holding several sets of note data that you could switch between using either a pattern effect or a meta device.

Ok that’s maybe off topic, but for me the most workflow improvement would be the ability to place send channels next to the tracks. Very often I am looking for the right reverb send or something, even when I use coloring.

Regarding layers / versions, I also have different takes in different song sections, but to be honest, I would see no benefit from layers, since as far as I know myself, I wouldn’t never look again in that not visible/hidden layer with the extra version anymore… Then it’s more easy to go to the variant section.

But a jump command in the song playlist would be cool (an easy one, not a track command, more a little field in the playlist) or the ability to disable sections for playlist, so it won’t be played in the list, but I could still navigate to it manually… These variants would look much more easy to understand at least for my taste.

well… i guess its more about safety, you know, when you want to try something different you create a new layer so you can easily keep the old take without duplicating the track with all the dsps and stuff, or duplicating a hundred patterns. maybe you would not see any benefit now, but once it is there i thing its going to speed things up for a lot of folks. well…think about a cake hehe, it becomes better with layers