Analog synthesizer to use with Renoise?

Hello people.

Not sure if this belongs in the beginner section as its not really about the software itself, sorry if it does.I have been using Renoise for a good 9-10 years, to be honest I havent really even explored that much of the software itself and am by no means an expert on it. I just found what I needed to be able to make some glitchy, IDM’y breakcore stuff! lol However I am trying to broaden my horizons. I dont use any hardware at all, and I have got to the point where I would really like to experiment further, I am especially interested in getting some warm lush synths and being a bit more hands on, you know physically messing around turning knobs n pressing buttons! where do I start?! I know I could prob go google stuff but I thought it would be cool to come and hear what you guys in the Renoise community have to say as afterall I will only be trying to link it up to Renoise. I am a proper beginner when it comes to stuff like this as I dont even use a MIDI keyboard, I just use my standard computer keyboard to punch my notes in :slight_smile: so, what is a good little synthesizer I could get to start off with, do I just plug it in and an interface comes up like a VST but I controll it physically?! too many questions! any feedback would be much appreciated!

My suggestion would be to get a small analogue synth for the purpose of making interesting noises, then sample that and record it into a renoise instrument.

Is it perfect? No, but it’s a place to start. It will get you some lush sounds, while working within the renoise structure with which you’re familiar.

Later, you can get more sophisticated.

Yeah I have an arsenal of hardware and I do a live techno thing aside from what i do with Renoise. When I want to incorporate my gear sounds with renoise its really best to just record them into samples and mangle them in renoise. It’s what renoise is best at really.

Ok thanks, so there is no way of hooking up an analog synth to renoise and playing the instrument via some sort of MIDI instrument setting? I think recording everything seperatley would really take a lot of fun out of the whole process.

Ok thanks, so there is no way of hooking up an analog synth to renoise and playing the instrument via some sort of MIDI instrument setting?

Of course, every instrument can send MIDI notes, and the Instr. MIDI Control device can do the rest.

If you want to get warm and fuzzy with sounds, I think Jan and Dylan are saying that it’s a good thing to simply focus on that. Set up an instrument - be that a hardware or soft-synth - and record whatever you are doing with it. Bonus points for stopping the sequencer and playing everything live.

You don’t have to have expensive hardware to pull that off - a cheap controller with a bunch of knobs properly mapped (not too complicated) to the parameters a soft-soft synth can get you far.

I`d go for an Arturia Mini/MicroBrute

I`d go for an Arturia Mini/MicroBrute

Of course, every instrument can send MIDI notes, and the Instr. MIDI Control device can do the rest.

If you want to get warm and fuzzy with sounds, I think Jan and Dylan are saying that it’s a good thing to simply focus on that. Set up an instrument - be that a hardware or soft-synth - and record whatever you are doing with it. Bonus points for stopping the sequencer and playing everything live.

You don’t have to have expensive hardware to pull that off - a cheap controller with a bunch of knobs properly mapped (not too complicated) to the parameters a soft-soft synth can get you far.

Thanks for the information much appreciated.

is there a certain analog synth you guys would reccomend which would be suitable for a beginner like me that is good for pads and ambient type sounds?

• Midi error I checked the micro brute out looks sounds really cool! - good price too might have to try and get my hands on that, seems great for beginners also…

I’ll second the Arturia MiniBrute or MicroBrute. I’ve got a MiniBrute, and it’s a great introduction to analog synthesis. It’s got MIDI in and out, MIDI over USB, CV ins and outs for analog synths that use control voltage instead of MIDI (so it can act as a MIDI interface for CV-only synths), and lots of controls to fiddle with.

Some things to keep in mind, though. Analog synths are always going to cost more per oscillator than digital. If you want real-time polyphony to the max, go with digital hardware or software. I’ve got 2 digital synths, one with 12-voice polyphony and one with 25. The MiniBrute has one oscillator (granted, it’s a very powerful and versatile oscillator) and thus one voice at a time. And all three cost the same. A MiniMoog Voyager (which I plan on getting after I win the lottery) has 3 oscillators and weighs in at around 3,000 USD for the keyboardless rack-mount version, and it’s monophonic as well. To get polyphony you need more than one :blink:(up to 16, if I remember correctly).

That’s not to say that all analog synths are monophonic, it’s just that most new ones, and those in the budget range for an analog beginner, are monophonic. Used synths and those costing thousands (and used synths costing thousands) are another matter entirely. My own experience is still very limited.

Hardware is definitely not for everyone, so before you go and shell out for one decide if danoise’s recommendation for hardware controllers with software synths is a better option. No one says you can’t do both :wink:

I’m new to Renoise and to analogue synths. I really enjoy my setup, which is: Doepfer Dark Energy II (synth), Doepfer Dark Time (sequencer), a Novation Bass Station II (synth), a Soundcraft Compact 10 (mixing desk) and an M-Audio Fast Track Pro (USB audio interface). This is running under Jack on Linux, which handles the MIDI multiplexing.

I’ve built a breakout box to get more CV controls from the DEII, and am waiting on a modder to tidy up his documentation on breaking out the BSII’s CV controls before taking the step of voiding the warranty on that :slight_smile:

I’ve used Renoise to run simple patterns on the synths, which are also receive controls from the Dark Time sequencer. The synths can take each others audio out as input for re-munging. I twiddle the knobs whilst recording the output, then import that recording back in to Renoise as the basis for further work.

I looked in to the Arturia 'brutes and the Novation Bass Station II, and plumped for the latter once I discovered that it is possible to get at the CVs - if you aren’t too cack handed with a soldering iron and don’t mind voiding the warranty. The BSII was a little more expensive than the 'brutes, but you get a lot more for your cash. (I waited until I saw a shop selling off a returned unit at a discount on Ebay.)

As I say, I’m new to all this, so I’m puzzling things out as I go, but it sure is fun :slight_smile:

I love working with Analog or VA with Renoise… From my experience, it works for me and works very well for step sequencing…

Imo save the money and buy a good midi controller + arturia soft synths.

Perhaps Korg Volca series could be a good start? Cheap and quite basic, but quite nice and hands on. With decent MIDI implementation from what I can tell. Seeing they recognize control change, I might be getting me a Volca Keys myself :slight_smile:

there seem to be loads of good analogue or semi analogue monosynths out there. shruthi, waldorf rocket, mopho, nanozwerg et al. given that renoise has great midi control i’d go for one that allows CC control of all the synths knobs and sliders. that way you can use the midi control dsp to automate knob twizzles in the patterns.

Hm. Softsynths won’t usually sound as good as “the real beasts”, but are way more flexible? And modern “virtual analogue” aren’t just softsynths in a shell with knobs? Now a diy sollution should be good enough to “learn” how to use such stuff, softsynths and a controller with lots of knobs and sliders, and a midi keyboard to play the thing.

You haven’t said yet for what real purpose you wish a hw synth. learning how synths work - many vst/softsynths emulate one or other “real” thing pretty good. Purpose could be having some beast to perform obscure music in a live scene without a computer.

For some stuff softsynths are more comfortable and flexible even, dig why people mention sampling the synth or rendering tracks when using a “real” hw synth. It’s not like vst’s where you can have any number of instances you like, all presets autoloaded with your song, everything automatable and eh…they’re expensive. But right, some hw synths sound different/better than the stuff a vst would do.

Most users had quite a lot of fun with this setup until you stated the above:

It´s a pity that times are changing.

Yours for only $15,000 US.

Their starter kit only costs around $1,300 $1,700 (it’s gone up :(). I (seriously) would like to get one when I’ve got a wagon-load of money to throw around.

Korg Volcas look very cool indeed :dribble: Only real problem with them is they lack MIDI over USB; 5-pin DIN only :confused: Something to keep in mind if you don’t already own a MIDI interface or a snazzy, old-fashioned gameport-to-MIDI cable and a matching soundcard.

Perhaps Korg Volca series could be a good start? Cheap and quite basic, but quite nice and hands on. With decent MIDI implementation from what I can tell. Seeing they recognize control change, I might be getting me a Volca Keys myself :slight_smile:

These are digital hell :wink: Just record the output :wink:

I recently got a volca keys and i’m really happy with its versatility. I’ve been thinking of making an instrument out of it like the MS-20 that someone did. Ive seen that in Ableton. Also, the mods on the volcas are pretty easy to do.