New tool: DeleteUnusedSamples

Do you miss the “Delete unused samples” feature of renoise < 3.0? Now it’s back!

http://www.renoise.com/tools/deleteunusedsamples

Happy instrument destruction!

Changelog

Note: Although it’s tested, it most surely contains bugs.

• It should now handle retrigger commands (0Rxy), more testing needed

• It doesn’t yet know anything about note-off layers

• It might remove samples that are actually used

• It might fail to remove unused samples.

Please test! If you find any unexpected behaviour, send me a stripped down, minimal version of the xrns that DeleteUnusedSamples doesn’t work well with along, and I’ll look into it!

So, the tool will signal a UFO to arrive and spawn some kind of two-headed beast that in turn will munch on your leftover samples?

:panic:

Btw: I see that the tool page still renames your tool, adding an underscore in the filename.

I’m pretty sure dblue looked into this briefly, but it apparently didn’t fix the problem…

Aliens ate my samples…

New version up, works with retrigger, or at least it should, testing needed…

Another new version:

• fixed divide-by-zero bug (when y=0)
  • sliced tool to keep long processes alive
  • moved to instrument box
  • shows progress in status bar

I don’t get it? renoise deletes unused samples by default if you click “delete unused instruments” ?
So imho… this tool is necessary?

Example: I have a 180Mb grandpiano. It’s made of alot of samples across the keyboard and sampled in multiple velocity layers. Sometimes I might just need to play one or two notes with my piano in a song. But I still have to carry that extra 180Mb around in my song.

This tool looks through the entire song and deletes any samples that are not triggered.

You could try it yourself, load one or your more elaborate songs, first do “delete unused instruments” then “delete unused samples”…

excellent! wow, just what I needed. thanks for the effort!

New version up! Tool would hang when deleting lots of samples…

thanks!

I’m just glad someone finds it useful :slight_smile:

I tried to use this in RC2, but it seems to delete a lot more than just the unused samples. Is it because it doesn’t read phrases properly or something perhaps? It seems like most of the samples used in phrases have been deleted and there is just an empty sample instead.

Could you send me an example xrns where it fails. I tried it a couple of times with 3.1 and found it worked fine, but maybe I was just lucky☺

Could you send me an example xrns where it fails. I tried it a couple of times with 3.1 and found it worked fine, but maybe I was just lucky☺

You can try it on my Mutant Breaks #8 entry:https://www.mediafire.com/folder/cgj3tgxdzv9w6/MB