Click`n`drag to change values in the patter editor

Would be a nice work-flow improvement to be able change notes and volume, pan, delay values by simply clicking on them and dragging up/down just like it works in sample properties with volume/transpose etc boxes. Probably in combination with some keyboard modifier, like ctrl-alt or something.

1 Like

+1 on this

Could be a right modifier + right click and drag up/down.

Bumping this. I don’t think people appreciate how good this would be in improving usability.

It doesn’t seem like it would be hard to do either.

+1

I have to really

This would slow down workflow.

From clicking the value to set the focus and entering a new 2 digit value by keyboard…

To (modifier key+) clicking the value and dragging up and down until correct…

To reach a certain value would estimately become much more time consuming and usability impacting, slower to reach a precise value by dragging.

Please refer to the manual of your computer keyboard on how to push two keyboard buttons sequensively.

I cancel your -1 with another +1

It would obviously improve workflow to have both keyboard input and click n’ drag.

It’s annoying to have to set edit mode, click on the note to highlight it, then hunt for the desired replacement note.

1 Like

Great idea

Huge +1 it’s a great idea.

This would slow down workflow.

There was more to your post, none of which adequately supplied evidence for why or how this would “slow down workflow.”

If there’s a good argument against this idea, we’ve yet to hear it.

Having a window (made with lua) that controls note cell parameters haven’t proven to be useful before. There’s no reason to believe that it would be more useful when ‘forced’ upon the user.

However, it could be a good idea if it provided something additional. Like ‘swipe’ drawing the values as envelopes, just like automation. Otherwise it’s a -1

With the current version, when you click on a cell, it is selected first (all the parameters, note, instrument, volume, panning, delay and sample effect).So you can drag that cell up and down or clone it using CTRL. If you press ALT + click, it will select the sub-column of that cell.They are 6 subcolumns.If there is any cell selected, and then press SHIFT plus click on another cell, you are allocating the selection area. Both CTRL, ALT, and SHIFT are used.

I particularly like this idea. But we should study how to add it, if possible with a single step. Maybe combining CTRL + ALT, and it would only modify the subcolumn. This would be very useful to correct data already written. In no case will fuck the workflow.

I manufactured a tool called “Rodent” that was just this, a floating window with 4 sliding bars, used to correct data. Besides, the sliding bars mark the range (maximum and minimum value). It’s more VPDpro was born with this idea. But it has a module, which is also another floating window, which serves to correct all the effects parameters. This is very useful precisely because it marks the limits of the range of valid values ​​for each type of parameter. The problem of a tool is that it is a floating window, it is not a direct and native control (a window you must select it, it implies a jump between the pattern editor and the window, this is exactly what bothers the work flow, in all window tools). If it were native, it would improve the workflow in this specific case.

Moreover, I wish there was a way to use it directly with a single click and drag up and down and out quickly by changing the values, and press a modifier key, and be slower, with precision. So, how to add all that under the hood of Renoise without modifying what is already there (what I mentioned at the beginning)?

I think that Ledger’s “Velocity delay pan automation” is already the close to “perfect” implementation. However, it didn’t quite work for me in 3.1 last time I tried it.

The only thing missing is the visual connection between points and pattern lines, hence why I suggested something like a vertical ‘automation lane’ in the pattern. I think there’s something like this in “Radium” (?).

Like I said… simple rotaries/sliders to adjust value by value, doesn’t bring anything that’s really of use. It’s with lines and swiping it starts to get interesting - for instance controlling value interpolation in a range. Or selecting multiple lines and decrease/increase multiple values (like “trimming” an automation).

Like I said… simple rotaries/sliders to adjust value by value, doesn’t bring anything that’s really of use. It’s with lines and swiping it starts to get interesting - for instance controlling value interpolation in a range. Or selecting multiple lines and decrease/increase multiple values (like “trimming” an automation).

With simple sliders, you can modify the individual values of the cell where the cursor is, or also all the values within the selection area. I have not programmed it, but I think it would be easy to do it. This is already the multiple modification of the same parameter.

Basically, a tool with simple sliding bars that is automatically updated, is like a visual zoom of the cell. It is really useful, especially for people who do not know the parameters very well, and their value limits. For those experts in Renoise, it may not be so advantageous. A clear example. Tell a novice that the value 30 in the panning sub-column is a left panning value. If we talk about specific parameters of effects, the subject is much harder to understand, memorize, and that’s where sliding bars help a lot visually.

Well, for mouse and trackpad lovers, I would appreciate mouse events in the lua api, so I could push and drag any value quickly if I like. On the other hand I USE THIS HANDY TOOL, WHICH MAKES VALUE CHANGING A BLISS:http://renoise.com/tools/unified-value-shift-and-transpose

+1 on OP (at least trying with an alpha test version)

Well, for mouse and trackpad lovers, I would appreciate mouse events in the lua api, so I could push and drag any value quickly if I like. On the other hand I USE THIS HANDY TOOL, WHICH MAKES VALUE CHANGING A BLISS:http://renoise.com/tools/unified-value-shift-and-transpose

Nice implementation there ffx!

Do you have forum threads for your tools? Couldn`t see one linked on tools page.

+1 would be a very nice usability improvement